PDA

View Full Version : fATPL How long does is it valid for?

habcer
28th May 2004, 11:42
Apon getting your fATPl and then being absolutely skint due to debt repayments, therfore you cannot afford to do any flying, how long will you have roughly to get employment before your licence begins to lapse, or airlines become uninterested since you graduated too long ago?

retro cowboy
28th May 2004, 12:09
With regards to no flying because you're poor... bad idea.

Recently in many application forms there is an increasing tendency to ask for flying hours in the last 6 months, obviously the answer 0 would be frowned upon (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Some companies even state that they will not interview pilots who aren't current (especially at the fATPL end).

I feel like an instructor rating coming on!

Pole Hill
28th May 2004, 13:24
habcer,
Remember there is no such thing as an fATPL, its a colloquialism for CPL/IR with ATPL examinations passed. :)
Therefore, as long as you keep your CPL current, your MEP rating and IR valid, you're still employable.
For definitive answers have a good look in LASORS. Click here for the link to LASORS (http://www.caa.co.uk/publications/publicationdetails.asp?id=1191)
Assuming that you're flying in your spare time; the main issue normally is keeping the IR and the MEP rating current, since it is the most expensive part of flying.
Keep flying, you need to be building hours. Apparently, airlines don't look favourably on people that qualify with the fATPL, then do little flying thereafter.
Hope this helps,
POL.

habcer
1st Jun 2004, 17:40
Thanks for the LASORs link, its great. But if airlines want you to keep your hours up after getting your fATPL, how do you do it when your trying to pay back your debts from getting the fATPL in the first place?!

mad_jock
1st Jun 2004, 19:41
Your never going to be as current as an FI.

Personally I would save up and do 1 hour in a twin every 3 months instead of 1 hr VFR every month in a single. If you are low hours 12 hours a year is just as crap as 4. Also if you can get solo time on a FNPT1 or II it would be better than nothing.

Benifts are that they don't test you in the sim on VFR flying and your scan and engine failure in a twin stuff will be up to date ish.

MJ