PDA

View Full Version : Take a look at this - Help needed

J.A.F.O.
28th May 2004, 09:05
www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131765 (http://)

The above thread is on the Private Flying Forum and while you might not think that that forum has too much to offer you if you take a look at the link you'll see what you have to offer them.

The IWM at Duxford is proposing to charge veterans of D-Day £8 each to attend an event commemorating their part in D-Day.

See what you can do to help.

Many Thanks.

propulike
28th May 2004, 09:36
The link again, as the one above doesn't seem to be working

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131765

J.A.F.O.
30th May 2004, 12:12
Thanks propulike.

If you haven't looked yet, then now is your chance to make a real difference. Let the blunties and beancounters know that they haven't taken over the world yet.

Titan Locked
2nd Jun 2004, 19:09
J A F O

Local ceefax here in the wilds of East Anglia have reported that the IWM have dropped plans to charge D-Day veterans an £8 entrance fee (supposedly to cover costs of their enclosure).

Good work by all those who took up the issue.

TL

PS - I'll post this in the original thread as well!

J.A.F.O.
2nd Jun 2004, 21:20
Thanks to anyone who helped.

PPRuNe Pop
2nd Jun 2004, 21:59
The matter has been resolved after donations amounting to over £2700 have been received. Full refunds will be given to the veterans who attend, and free entry to those who turn up on the day, and any surplus will go to the Royal British Legion and the Normandy Veterans Assocaition.

See the updated post on the Private Flying forum.

FNG
2nd Jun 2004, 22:26
The "resolution" is largely down to Flying Dutch and Mike Cross, and bear in mind that Duxford are only moderating the position because we are stumping up. I and many others have gladly subscibed to pay entrance fees for veterans, but the principle remains: Duxford should never have contemplated charging the veterans a penny. In reality, Duxford isn't letting anyone in for free: it's accepting our payments and claiming credit as though it was pursuing some public spirited initiative. My opinion of the IWM management is lower now than it was when this story first broke. I initially put the decision to charge the veterans down to an ignorant error made by a junior employee born in the 1980s who probably thinks (along with 80% of the population, apparently) that the Battle of Britain occurred in 1066 (or 1966!) . Now it appears that this was a policy decision by management, still not withdrawn. It will be a long time before I visit Duxford again.

In view of (a) the initial decision and (b) the current spin in respect of the charge, do contribitors to this forum and others now think that this is an issue in respect of which the Director of IWM Duxford should seriously consider his position?

PS: this duplicates postings in Private Flying and in Aviation History, but I hope that the moderators will not object to this in view of the subject matter.

zedder
3rd Jun 2004, 13:08
Perhaps we can use any money left from the donations to buy him a sword to fall on. In fact, here's one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43338&item=2248323441&rd=1

Trouble is you have to be honourable to use this particular sword. The Director of the IWM Duxford clearly isn't!:mad:

Mike Cross
4th Jun 2004, 06:24
Sorry folks, was not aware of this thread.

Details of the donors and amount here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132715) the result is going to be very slightly higher as I have received a couple of last minute additions.

2780.00 was transferred to the IWM account yesterday, the balance will go today when I process the last payments.

For an example of spin in action have a look at this (http://www.itvregions.com/news.php?region=Anglia&content=6614&cat=0) result of a Press Release from the IWM. There has been no "change of heart", the IWM is still charging veterans to attend, the difference is that the cost is falling on the donors, rather than the veterans.

The BBC (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cambridgeshire/3769927.stm) have a far more accurate take on it than ITV.

Mike

Mike Cross
4th Jun 2004, 08:45
Received late yesterday from Linda Quinn, Finance Officer at the Imperial War Museum DuxfordMany thanks Michael, what a splendid bunch you all are. I will certainly advise you of Veteran numbers, and also amounts donated.

Thank you once again.
Linda.

Divergent Phugoid!
4th Jun 2004, 08:59
I think I made my last trip to IWM Duxford when I flew in about six weeks ago. Shame really, was a great museum until this display of outrageous behavior shown to the brave veterans.

They seem to forget that if it were not for these Solidiers, Sailors and Airmen they would not be in the job they are in now, paying all their bills for them! Literally!

Exactly how much profit are they going to make on Sunday? However much, that would be a nice figure to donate to the veterans nominated charities! Will we ever find out how much it was?

Oh well never mind... Anyone suggest another venue to visit with my nephew which would be more rewarding?

:mad: :mad: ers!!

DeepC
4th Jun 2004, 09:12
Oh well never mind... Anyone suggest another venue to visit with my nephew which would be more rewarding?

The Shuttleworth Collection. Streets ahead in terms of Customer service and general laid back ambiance. Probably the finest collection of old aeroplanes anywhere in the world.

But you probably already knew that...

DeepC

Divergent Phugoid!
4th Jun 2004, 09:17
Deep C

Thanks, was thinking on those lines... Do they have something planned on sunday?

(Oh and I did send my displeasure to IWM Duxford via an E-mail)

treadigraph
4th Jun 2004, 09:55
DP, Shuttleworth have a D Day show on Sunday - should be a few PPRuNes there. I believe Airbedane usually gets a message out over the PA to tell those in attendence where they can meet should they wish to. Take a look at the Aviation History & Nostalgia forum...

See you there...

Mike Cross
4th Jun 2004, 12:34
Final Total GBP3116

GBP 2,780.00 was transferrred to the IWM account yesterday, the balance of GBP 336.00 has now also gone across.

dhs
paulc
matspart3
all snuck in under the barrier with donations as it was going down.

The list is now definitely CLOSED, sorry but I have to draw a line at some point.

I hope the weather holds up and the Veterans have a great time on Sunday.

Mike

Mike Cross
14th Jun 2004, 10:14
Sent Linda Quinn at IWM an e-mail last week.
Hi Linda

Just to help you with your sums
You should have received from me

2780.00 in the first transfer
336.00 in the second transfer
3116.00 in total

You should have then taken 80.00 from (3 OL's) Credit Card, bringing the total to 3196.00

At 8.00 per veteran this comes out at Three Hundred and Ninety Nine and a Half veterans!

I gather Jenni Morton was upset by the thought of half a veteran so she sent you a cheque for 4.00 to sponsor his other half.

This should have brought the total to 3,200.00 or a nice round figure of 400 veterans sponsored

I trust they had a good time.

Reply received this morning
Hi Mike,

Yes, it was a brilliant day for everyone that came. For veterans, so nostalgic, many a tear was shed.
I understand from Ted (Ted Inman, Director IWM) all of this money is to be paid to the Normandy Veterans Association, Ted told me he would be writing to you to that effect. I will wait for another week before sorting it all out, taking into account any stragglers.

Tell Jenni Well Done, and once again thank you all.

Regards,
Linda.

Linda Quinn
Finance Officer
Imperial War Museum Duxford
tel 01223 499323 fax 01223 837267

e-mail [email protected]

Av18tor
14th Jun 2004, 18:12
I was wondering about the last entry....

Did the veterans get in free of charge in the end or were they charged and then a donation made to the NVA?

Just curious...