--------------
TRANSCRIPT OF THE PRIME MINISTER
THE HON JOHN HOWARD MP
DOORSTOP INTERVIEW
PARRAMATTA, SYDNEY

Subjects: Second Sydney Airport

E&OE................................

JOURNALIST:

Prime Minister, the airport suggestion this morning from the New South Wales Government out at the Southern Highlands, is that pie in the sky or are we...

PRIME MINISTER:

Sydney, on all our advice, all of our advice says that Sydney does not need a second airport in the foreseeable future. Mr Latham must today tell the people of Sutton Forest and surrounding areas - is he or is he not proposing, if elected, to build an airport there? Obviously the New South Wales Government wouldn't have spent all this time sussing out the site and passing the information on to the Federal Opposition unless they were seriously contemplating it. Well, Mr Latham is always talking about candour in public life. Let's have a bit of airport candour.

JOURNALIST:

Was that site ever canvassed by the Coalition?

PRIME MINISTER:

Not to my knowledge, no.

JOURNALIST:

(inaudible) 100 kms out of Sydney...

PRIME MINISTER:

Well we don't need another site in the foreseeable future, and the only reason why the Labor Party is shopping around for another site and is apparently, if this report is to be believed, lighted on this one is that there is pressure within its own party over the longer term to do something about Kingsford Smith. I mean that's ridiculous. We have a very good airport. There has been a lot of sharing around in relation to the noise burden, and all the information we have says that you don't need a second airport in the foreseeable future. So it can only be that there are still people in the Labor Party who are trying in the long run to phase out Kingsford Smith, which is ridiculous.

JOURNALIST:

Isn't there an issue of safety at finding a major airport (inaudible) opportunity to move it out?

PRIME MINISTER:

It's a very safe airport because apart from anything else, it's very close to the sea. And in those terms, it's one of the safest major airports in the world. Thank you.

[ends]

karrank
28th May 2004, 13:08
If there's no problem at Sydney remove the movement cap you fuggin retard!!!!!:mad: :mad: :mad:

spinout
28th May 2004, 22:05
What is wrong with Newcastle’s Williamtown Airport, Sydney does not need a second airport NSW does and I can not think of a better place,

1. It already exists
2. Road and Rail links Exist
3. Could easily be shared with the RAAF, eventually move the RAAF to Evens Head, cheaper option
4. Residents already used to noise, and its on the coast
5. Newcastle wants it
6. Plenty of room for expansion

Malfunction Junction
31st May 2004, 07:04
Here is the latest and greatest news on the Second Sydney Airport front:
Firstly, anyone suggesting that WILLIAMTOWN is Sydney's second airport is correct. RAAF BASE WILLIAMTOWN will be relocating to the Naval Air Station at NOWRA within the next 4 years. Runway 21/03 at Nowra will be extended by another 500 metres to accomodate a lot of the traffic presently going into RAFF RICHMOND and all of Newcastles present military workload. Newcastle will be serviced by a Very Fast Train (VFT) and some regional feeder services working outof/into Bankstown. BANKSTOWN airport is to see a major reshaping within 5 years including the scrapping of 11R and a 300 metre extension of runway centre. The entire northern area of Bankstown Airport will be turned into an industrial park/complex with nothing whatsoever to do with aviation. The southern side will become a domestic terminal area capable of handling a fair portion of the present domestic traffic. Only 6 of the operators presently at Bankstown will remain after the changes are in place. RAAF RICHMOND will not close BUT will no longer be used as the international arm of the military....this will change to NOWRA.
Any doubting Thomases, check back in a few years and see how correct I am? (and PS: don't tell anyone I told you)

tobzalp
31st May 2004, 07:17
And ADATS will be fully compatible with TAAAATS.

On The Horizon
31st May 2004, 11:13
Malfunction Junction

Could you inform us as to your source of information ? :confused:

My views -

RAAF Williamtown will not move or be downsized in the forseeable future 20-30 years at least, its role has only been increasing dramatically in the last 10 years or so.

At huge expense EASTROC was moved there only a
couple of years ago. It hosts headquarters to the RAAF's Air Combat Group. The RAAF's Surveillance and Control Group (SCG)

Massive amounts of money was invested into the hawk lead in fighter project, Newcastle airport is in the process of bidding for the future JSF contract having set aside the land for the building

2 Squadron hangars and associated building for the AEWAC are all but completed costing millions

Recent months runway repavement has been going on, ordinance loading areas, explosive loading areas, aircraft refuelling facilities and the fuel farm are due to be or in the process of being upgraded.

I seriously doubt that all this activity would be going on still if the powers that be plan on moving the whole base within 4 years.

A few facts about the size of the Base, there are very close to 3000 workers on base approx 1800 military. A collective income of approx $125 Million per year. DHA owns close to $20 Million in houses in the surrounding suburbs plus all the extra houses they have on long term lease from private investors.

In anyone ones language that would make a hell of a hole in the bank balances of local merchants removing this much money from the local economy, plus the political ramifications on the incumbent liberal member for the local area.

The co existance of Civil and Military traffic at Williamtown has been going on quite harmionously for years. Despite the fact that all civil aircraft require 30 mins holding fuel to be carried, Qantaslink, Brindabella, Jetstar, Aeropelican & Virgin all operate into Williamtown.

As spinout has pointed out there are huge amounts of land available on the southern side of the runway, all they would nee d to do is extend a dual carriage way from the Pacific Hwy to the airport (only about 15kms).

I couldn't agree more with spinout that Newcastle wants it but they need to get the development zoning right NOW while they still have the chance, before its too late with reference to urban encrochment and avoid the issues that most airports around the world have.

I believe the federal government has to have the balls and develop legislation preventing ANY residential building within say 5-10kms of the aerodrome. Should anyone buy & build inside this zone they would automatically waive their legal rights to complain about noise etc, after all the airport has been there since 1941. How many residents have been there longer ?

There are several lunatics that are stopping at nothing to get the Salt Ash weapons range shut down, only weeks ago one of them walked onto the range and got within a couple of hundred metres of the bombing area, trying to prove a safety issue, I say FA18 Guys next time you've got a moving target :E

These people don't just stop at trying to penetrate the range either a while back during night exercies on the range one of these idiots obtained a very powerful spot light and directed it into the FA18 pilots eyes, temporarily blinding the pilots eyes.

A while back a small helium balloon by this same group with two brick attached to the bottom covered in aluminium foil designed to make it appear on radar, I would say intended for the Raaf'ies came within metres of hitting a qantaslink dash 8.

and what has been done to these suspected people that have and are seriously threatening lives of civil and military people by performing these idiotic acts F&*@$NG NOTHING. :mad:

Why arn't laws made against these type of acts ?

Sorry I deviated off topic but I had to voice some views :ok:

Stepping off Soap Box now :D

spinout
1st Jun 2004, 04:16
Just a thought…

We could give Dick a new cause to champion, NSW Second International Airport, Williamtown, people might start to like him again…
Or could write to Bob Carr
[email protected]

:cool:

Malfunction Junction
2nd Jun 2004, 02:51
Sorry, can't reveal my sources but they are accurate.
I will give the reasoning behind the RAAF RICHMOND shift though as a bit of an enticer. For years, weapons required for the services have entered Oz through either Sydney (ships) or through Richmond (Air). Stuff coming through Richmond would then need to be road transported through Sydney to either Silverwater or directly to the requiring agency. The Navy has now established their new armourments depot on the far south coast BUT the stuff still comes through Richmond and then needs transporting by road (through Sydney) and it was considered that it was only a matter of time before an accident happened. Eventually, this stuff will be directed to Nowra and then be road transported down to the far south coast which removes this serious risk of transporting stuff through Sydney by road. Hence the big upgrade at Nowra (M$50) which is now at stage 4 so they can accomodate the larger Galaxys etc. (Nobody seriously believes these major upgrades have been done for 20 helicopters do they?) Also, the upgrades have included beefed up arrestor gear and lines suitable for fast jets etc.......:ok:

Like This - Do That
2nd Jun 2004, 03:52
Malfunction

Are you referring to the existing operators on Tower Rd being the only ones remaining at BK? Where is everyone else going under this plan? Hoxton? Hahahaha, it'll be more bl00dy vulgar McMansions in 10 years time. Camden? Schofields? Ooops! Schofields is already closed and surrounded by vulgar McMansions.

Spinout, granted there is road and rail infrastructure already in place, but it is already beyond capacity. To get it in shape would take serious billions, yep BILLIONs. Willy might be given more YSSY spillover traffic but please ignore the existing rail & road - it's insufficient.

Cheers

Malfunction Junction
2nd Jun 2004, 04:54
Why do you think the HUGE rent increases recently for BK operators......? To sort the wheat from the chaff....expected over 75% will walk in next 4 years (or go under more likely!) Tower Rd.....everything will go....the only thing to remain are runways 11L and 11C and tower...everything else goes! Only 6 operator's will remain at BK past 2009. Again, any doubting Thomases....check back and let's see whose right?:{
Fuel will be cut back to ONE supplier only!:\
GA as we know it (and have known it for 50 years) is soon to be a thing of the past in this country and sadly, it really will be only available to the silver tails and their ilk:mad:

TIMMEEEE
2nd Jun 2004, 05:25
The fact is this:

We dont have one political party in Oz that has either the political will or guts to confront such a contentious issue.
Add to this the fact that Australians (like every one else in the world) suffers from Nimby syndrome - NOT IN MY BACK YARD.

"Fine to have one elsewhere, as long as it doesnt affect us" is the typical answer.

We'll never see it in our lifetime, but we'll see Sydney KSA expand in terms of runways and movements and probably ban any aircraft less than say 36 seats.
Expect to see a change in curfew hours also down the track.

Like This - Do That
2nd Jun 2004, 06:21
Malfunction

I share your pessimism re GA's future in this country. The incremental decline will continue with occasional 'kicks in the goolies' eg BK rent increases, Canberra price hikes, LSP, etc.

Let's see who the new owners are: James Fielding Group - developers; Westscheme - super fund managers; Leighton Properties - developers; CBA - bank. Hmmm, a bloke could be forgiven for wondering about their intentions.

Malfunction, are some of these 6 operators 'in bed' with BaCH or is the '6' an estimate of those who'll survive? Not necessarily disagreeing with you, but it's the first time I've seen something as specific as your first post on this thread.

Are the companies who leave BK leaving the industry or will they try and set up at Camden, Wollongong or Warnervale? Not that Warnervale will survive much longer - property developers on the march all around there too. If the former what will happen to the value of second hand aircraft? Plummet. Lot's of work for Ray Clamback flying them back across to USA, no doubt.

Heatseeker
3rd Jun 2004, 09:10
Can't see much expansion happening at Camden myself. Too much new low cost housing happening at one end of the runway and too much high cost housing happening at the other end. And - on top of that, the M5 is chokka from around 5 a.m. onwards too. Nane any pollie who will actively promote a major airport in their back yard and i'll show you somebody looking for directions to the C.E.S.

Heat.