PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Crew CRM-Assistance Request

338C
28th May 2004, 04:51
Greetings

I would appreciate your feedback on topics that you believe should be covered on a CRM course designed for cabin crew.

In your view what percentage of a topic should be theory and what percentage practical application of the concept?

What do you think are the elements of a good and not so good CRM course for cabin crew?

Really look forward to your feedback.

Thanks very much for your time.

PVC Pants
30th May 2004, 23:45
Hi there 338C :)

Having completed a couple of CRM Courses as a participant, I thought the best parts were probably 30% theory and 70% practical applications. The "practical" side allows participants to work together, and the information seems to stay with you for a greater period of time. Another great aspect is that practical exercises tend to open up more lines of communication and team-work, so in fact, one is practising CRM right there and then without really realising it.

Other great tools for CRM were: video footage of actual incidents and accidents (....crashes :\ ), "mock up" footage of actual events in the cabin and flight-deck and a variety of paticipant excercises in the classroom.

I feel the best situation for teaching or honing CRM skills is to not only have the Cabin Crew present but to include the Pilots in the course also. To a lot of Cabin Crew (particularly the newbies :) ), the information that Pilots can contribute to CRM is invaluable and critical.

Another thought (which I haven't experienced, however, could work) is to even include Customer Service Officers into the CRM Course also...particularly those involved with boarding duties or dispatching aircraft???? Just a thought :)

Hope you can draw something from this....all the best to you!

Luv "PANTS" x ;) ;) ;)

flybywire
31st May 2004, 00:00
PVC Pants is totally right, CRM courses with CC and F/D are much better, you get to understand what each other's roles involve and get also to know each other!

When I started years ago I was "scared" of pilots :rolleyes: but my crm course, which lasted 3 whole days (in Italy they were still spending money for such things...eh!) was the best part of my training, I enjoyed getting to know them and I could see that they were humans and not "monsters"!!!:E

My boyfriend has been a CRM instructor for years as well, I will ask him to post some suggestion if you like!! He's currently working on a new CRM course for CC.

Hope it'll help!

Cheers!!

FBW:)

smile
31st May 2004, 02:14
Can I suggest making sure that the class is on the small side. It can be quite hard to foster discussion between people when the group is large.

SydGirl
31st May 2004, 07:45
In my (humble!) opinion CRM courses should contain Flight, Cabin and Ground Crew all in one class. The whole point of CRM is to reduce human factors - what better way to do so than to recognise and understand what the human factors are, both in your own department as well as others.

Personally I love the theory side of CRM - the models and the analysis. However, the theories need to be reinforced by having practical examples with logical applications. So realistically, each time you introduce a theory or concept it should also be backed up with a practical exercise to demonstrate the concept.

Therefore, I believe the class should contain roughly 50% theory and 50% practical. The practical exercises should be logical, relevant and in the correct sequence to demonstrate the theories and concepts already introduced. They should also get more complex as the day goes on.. to keep things interesting!

Just my thoughts.
SG
:}

PVC Pants
31st May 2004, 23:51
Good point SMILE

Smaller classes do tend to be a lot more beneficial. My recent CRM class had 12 of us. There seemed to be a lot less disruptions & distractions with a smaller number.

"Pants" x ;)

338C
5th Jun 2004, 09:05
Greetings

Thanks very much for the time spent replying. The input is much appreciated and will be put to good use.

The offers made to obtain more infrmation are ALL accepted and warmly anticipated.

Do you have any specific recommendations for CRM training in multi cultural environments?

Fly safely

338C