PDA

View Full Version : Rn Abbo Sar?

Mustela Frenata RN
27th May 2004, 23:24
Any truth in our abbo s being given the same chance of going SAR as our crab compatriates? Thinking of a push that way from present post flying something a little pointier, how am i fixed in the present climate of too many bums and too few cockpits?

Bing
28th May 2004, 11:41
As I understand it from having spoken to some of the people involved this is more a one off thing. It's basically taking advantage of some spare hours on the Griffen at Shawbury to give four RN mates a condensed multi-engine package. The thinking was/is that they'll then go to 771 to train as SAR/Utility pilots. The emphasis being on Utility for the SK 6 embarked flights, it also ensures a small trickle of new blood into the Sea King world, I'm guessing some could end up on 849 for their second tour.
I don't think it's currently intended to make this a long term option as 771 don't like the idea of being swamped with ab initios.

cobaltfrog
30th May 2004, 15:39
News to me and I suspect the FT shop!

Bing
30th May 2004, 16:02
Well the four RN ab initio pilots are at 60 SQN now. As to the next stage that was the plan when I first heard it, however having spoken to one of the guys involved it does seem to change every week, still I'm fairly sure they're not going Merlin!