PDA

View Full Version : AWACS at Manchester

Jodel Hugger
27th May 2004, 20:11
Hi,

I'm asking this hear as I'm sure yiou guys will now.
Can someone expalin what an AWACS was doing on approach to Manchester a couple of nights back? Why do these planes come in to civil airports? Do the radar domes always spin, or only when they are looking at somethink.

Thanks

Pie Man
27th May 2004, 20:18
JH

Nothing unusual to see and E-3 at Manchester. Probably doing a practice diversion - ie simulating not being able to get into Waddington.

Regards

PM

bagpuss lives
27th May 2004, 21:20
The E3 did a practice diversion / missed approach - quite common these days although slightly more unusual at EGCC (still nothing too out of the oridnary though) :)

The aircraft come into civil airports for varying reasons including but not specifically weather (for example - when some of the close by mil airfields got fogged in a few months ago we ended up with a couple of RAF tristars - always nice to see :ok: ), training, technical diversions, operational requirements, positioning for displays etc etc

Can't answer the radar spin question sorry.

hth

zed3
28th May 2004, 06:17
The radome always turns when the a/c is in the air in order to keep the bearings oiled, seemingly .

Jinkster
29th May 2004, 21:39
Just wondered,

Why is it that the AWACS and other NATO aircraft say NATO then OTAN - any ideas? :)

DCS99
29th May 2004, 21:43
OTAN is French for NATO, but I think you knew that already

Unwell_Raptor
29th May 2004, 21:44
OTAN is the French version (of course!)

Squadgy
30th May 2004, 17:13
Organisation du Traite de l'Atlantique Nord:8

longarm
1st Jun 2004, 10:19
..obviously its so that when you see them in your rear view mirror you can see who it is !

McD
2nd Jun 2004, 02:36
The dome spins at two speeds, but as zed3 says, it always does spin (at one speed or the other) while flying.

Bagso
7th Jun 2004, 16:57
...and Manchester is still a master diversion airfield for the RAF.

This is the 2/3 E3 in as many weeks.

They like the beer.....!