PDA

View Full Version : Farewell CAIR the pilots friend.

Hudson
27th May 2004, 12:59
In February this year the CAIR reporting system was disbanded.
Was this because ATSB were getting flooded with CAIR reports but due to CASA looking the other way there were no tangible flight safety results after all these years?

CAIR has been replaced by the Aviation Self Reporting System (ASRS) where pilots dob themselves in to ease their conscience. Rather like safe injecting rooms. Seems like self flaggellation to me, although I am told that it does turn some people on.

grrowler
28th May 2004, 04:34
With good ol' Dick suggesting a $5000- fine when you stuff up, I'm sure there will be stacks of these ones filled out :rolleyes: Another leap (backwards) for safety.

tubby one
28th May 2004, 05:45
an ATSB person at a recent industyr conference made the statement that CAIRs was dropped due to the financial of ASR and that it would be re-introduced in the not too distant future.

RTB RFN
29th May 2004, 03:46
and so the real potential for savings with NAS are revealed.

Change the definitions of safety incident (by changing the rules of play) therefore do away with CAIR and ESIR and ASOR and ASIR and you diminish the need for ATSB and CASA and DFS because there are no safety infractions, there are no trends, there is no risk.

Hence Minister, the reduction in reportable and reported incidents.

Accidents, (and their magnificently widespread consequences) - ah now there's the rub!