PDA

View Full Version : Oats

MJR
27th May 2004, 11:11
Hello Chums,

Does anyone know what the pay rates are for PPL instructors at OATS.

cheers

MJR

Hasher
27th May 2004, 15:03
Good point, does any one know the interview process too?

Foz2
28th May 2004, 11:48
I may be wrong but I dont think there are any PPL instructors who who work for OAT. All the VFR stuff is done in the states and is run as one course (no PPL skills test) zero to CPL skills test. Hence I would expect that they only use CPL instructors. As far as i know they don't offer a PPL course on its own.

Foz

MJR
28th May 2004, 12:06
Negative Foz2

The recently advertised PPL slots are in the UK, I asked you see!

:D MJR

Foz2
28th May 2004, 17:34
Furry muff then!!

So are they starting a PPL course at Kidlington then?

Foz

Hasher
1st Jun 2004, 10:38
Just got myself an interview, anyone else?

walkingthewalk
1st Jun 2004, 13:39
Care to tell us if the salary/pay rate is known prior to applying ?

minus273
1st Jun 2004, 15:54
Hey there,

So just out of interest do you know if they are closing the training facility down in Arizona?

Would seem to be odd to be operating two PPL courses, as I am sure most of the people would prefer to stay in the UK for the whole of their course.

EL SID
1st Jun 2004, 16:35
The US facility was at Tyler in Texas, that has closed. OAT now operate a contract with Sabena at Scottsdale, Arizona doing the VFR elements of modular and integrated training. To the best of my knowledge no dedicated PPL training is carried out at the facility.

minus273
1st Jun 2004, 17:36
Hi there El Sid

I am aware that Tyler closed at the end of last year. I am also aware that they are doing Modular & Intergrated training at SDL in Arizona.

My main question was along the lines of if they are now hiring for PPL instructors at OATs Kidlington, what will happen to the agreement between Oxford and Sabena?

Will that mean that students will no longer be sent out to US for training?

Thanking you for any info you or anyone else has.

witchdoctor
1st Jun 2004, 18:38
Perhaps OAT has yet another of its brilliant contracts with an airline from the back of beyond, whose cadets are not welcome in the delightful US of A. In that case, all VFR SEP training would have to be conducted in the UK as it was for Khalifa students post 9/11.

I don't see that OAT can offer a competitively priced PPL syllabus in the UK given how much more expensive they already are for CPL courses where the majority of flying hours are completed in the US at far lower rates.

And just in case anyone thinks I'm having a pop at OAT, I'm not. Quite enjoyed myself there, and have a high opinion of the general level of instruction too.

EL SID
2nd Jun 2004, 07:10
Check your PM's.
Cheers, ES

walkingthewalk
11th Jun 2004, 08:52
Hasher: how did the interview go. Regardless of whether you got the job: what was it like.

D 129
3rd Jul 2004, 02:54
OAT have been planning to re-launch a PPL product although it seems to have been slightly delayed.

Nevetheless an excellent idea - very well equipped (Airways) Warriors which are spending a long time sitting on the apron as most commercial VFR flying training is in the USA.

I believe the plan was to have a small number of PPL only instructors. The organisation to be headed by one of the commercial instructors.

So one might expect the £ 10 to £ 15 per flying hour style remuneration rather than the c. £ 35 K salary that the CPL/IR Commercial School instructors earn. However I would be interested in any details from people who have been to interview. Also - what level of prior instructing experience are they after ?.

D129

walkingthewalk
3rd Jul 2004, 07:47
D129: I have heard that phone calls/emails are not being returned at the moment. All very strange - either they have been inundated or just plain rude - who knows.

Send Clowns
5th Jul 2004, 13:20
If you are surprised by OATS not anwering the phone or returning calls I assume you have never had dealings with them before.

walkingthewalk
5th Jul 2004, 13:55
Hmm, so judging by what you say, you must have had quite a bit of dealings in turn.....do please convey, reveal, disclose your journal ;-)

Send Clowns
5th Jul 2004, 23:27
I never had dealings with them. The reason was that when I wanted to do a course for ATPL G/S and CPL/IR they couldn't be bothered to answer the phone. When I finally left messages for them to return the calls they didn't even do that. This is on the line advertised to customers who might want to spend £50,000. I decided for some strange reason not to go to OATS. :hmm:

walkingthewalk
6th Jul 2004, 08:55
Send Clowns:

Thanks for sharing that with us. I often wonder about these
incidents and think that it cannot be a "system problem".
It has to be a "people problem". Take the example of OATS's advertising for Instructors: even if they are inundated, it isn't rocket science to publicise that they are not taking any further applications.

DO they really have to be so blatant that they can just "turn the tap of instructors on" as and when they wish.

porridge
6th Jul 2004, 20:00
In the pre-ILS era when the late and great Bruce Latton ran the show you at least got a very nicely written 'no thanks at moment' letter if you were unsuccessful.
A couple of years later and a fresh recruitment drive I got a 'please come for an interview' letter in response to my application and met this gentleman (and I use the term in the true sense of the word). He was an inspiration to both the students and the instructors. Regretfully I cannot say the same for the present team of management - particularly the erstwhile Head of Training/MD.
A former colleague at the company who left during the just before the sale to the present owners and who recently went back for an interview and said the dire atmosphere amongst staff and clients was such that he would rather be broke than go back to work there – personally the same applies to myself in that hell would have to freeze over before I went back there!

D 129
9th Jul 2004, 22:05
I hear that the CAA recently inspected OAT's King Air (sorry Seneca) sims and they were not approved. So it's probably all chaos at the moment as the commercial courses (APP etc) are very sim orientated. (40/55 IR hours now on Sim). This may only be part of the story ... any one care to clarify this ???.

They may understandably be "too busy" - to think about PPL which was always a poor cousin and not really part of their main plan.

I hear that the Head of Standards (Jack S) is leaving / has left - so there'll be another people shuffle...

So it may be a little while before OAT rewelcome PPL.

Well done Oxford Airport though ! - The new GA lounge on the flight line looks super. (If it's locked at weekends, ask for the key in Operations. It's a cut above the rest). Also the half price / free landing fees.

D 129