PDA

View Full Version : If it is on, when is it?

Muppet Leader
27th May 2004, 10:15
I heard a rumour the other day about a big bash somewhere up north, possibly Southport.

The story I heard was that we were going to get a ‘130 landing on the beach, along with all sorts of Naval equipment just off shore. Marines and other associated chaps performing beach assaults etc.

If this is true, it will be worth making the effort to go and watch.

Logic would dictate that is was either this coming Bank Holiday weekend, or possibly the following weekend, as an Op Overlord tribute?

Any info on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

ML
:ok:

Pontius Navigator
27th May 2004, 20:28
Google to whats on in southport

MightyGem
28th May 2004, 01:55
...and? Didn't seem to be much help. :confused:

soddim
28th May 2004, 18:00
Only event I can find with a C130 is here:

http://www.southportairshow.com/

But it is not until September

WE Branch Fanatic
28th May 2004, 23:26
Maybe of some interest?

http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/rn/content.php3?page=1&article=795

Also

http://navynews.co.uk/d-day/index.asp#

TURNBULL
29th May 2004, 09:21
The September date is the big bash!

flexy won
2nd Jun 2004, 10:19
MG,

Did the Op Order have a security classification? Just wondering if it is appropriate to post dates, location and unit names on a public forum.

Love and hugs.

MightyGem
2nd Jun 2004, 14:22
None at all. Not even restricted, which is why I posted. :E

cobaltfrog
2nd Jun 2004, 17:12
Mightygem

I cannot believe how you could possibly post the details of that unit on the web and give location and dates. It may not have a security classification, but it doesn't take the brains of an arch bishop to work out that joe public will go on mass and have a nosey after it is now in the public domain!
I refer you to an article in the paper today which refers to 2 members of SF who lost their jobs because they were plastered over the press! Lets hope the guys from 23 don't get the same treatment!!

highveldtdrifter
2nd Jun 2004, 18:14
The event to which you refer is the Southport Airshow, traditionally held late Aug/early Sep. It is an excellent show, with a C-130J participating, dropping the Falcons, paras and then flying an air display. However, not actually landing on the beach (CBR not good enough).

airborne_artist
3rd Jun 2004, 05:45
Mightygem

Perhaps you could have borne in mind the concept of "Need to know" before you posted, regardless of any security classification, or lack of one.

I was cleared to Top-Secret, but it doesn't mean I could go around asking to see all TS graded documents in my unit - just the ones I needed to see to do my job.

Did you refer to the issuer of the op order before posting?

Think harder next time, please.

Echo 5
3rd Jun 2004, 07:05
To all those that had a dig at MightyGem.

It did cross my mind that his post may well have passed relatively unnoticed if you lot hadn't been so keen to be smart arrses and try to bring him down.Your posts have only served to highlight the
situation.
:rolleyes:

Edited for spelling error !!

MightyGem
3rd Jun 2004, 07:25
Sorry guys, it's a PJE on Southport beach, 3/4 Jul, in full view of the public. If they don't know about it now, they will then. it's not the Southport airshow.

jayteeto
3rd Jun 2004, 18:50
I work at the same unit and the op order paperwork has NO (zero) classification. We are civilian pilots working for a civilian contractor with no security clearances, even though the unit is police. This letter was sent to us. Before we start trying to crucify people, I will bet that the press office have already briefed the local papers what will be happening and who is participating. If there is a lesson to be learned, then criticise who released this, not who posted details of an open letter.

SpotterFC
3rd Jun 2004, 19:24
Echo 5, Jayteeto and MightyGem,

This is a 'military' oriented forum, and the NTK principle is bashed into us from day one. Try to look at it this way - just because it might be interesting for the public does not make it in the public interest.

I'll bet your bank statements don't have a classification on them either, but you'd be pretty upset to see them posted here.

jayteeto
3rd Jun 2004, 19:40
You are absolutely right, I didn't and wouldn't post it!! However do you not think it should have had a classification? Seems fairly amateur to me. I only left the RAF in january. I was under the impression that you could use this system of security classification to keep things secret. Maybe this posting could teach someone a lesson. Why not learn from this instead of throwing mud.....
PS..... My bank balance is £0.00 :(

Divergent Phugoid!
3rd Jun 2004, 19:47
Spotter, Was wondering... do you think it would be wise to advertise for a venue for a bash of some sort, relating to the Mil, on a public forum?

Naa didnt think so. He with out sin etc...

Addition to the NTKP... think before posting!

:ok: :ok: :ok:

SpotterFC
3rd Jun 2004, 20:27
jayteeto

A classification might have been sensible, but if it's being sent to a non-accredited civilian organisation might that not also encourage somebody to send a copy to the press - perverse isn't it?

Divergent Phugoid

Good god somebody actually goes to the website? - mea culpa sort of - are you aware of the nature of the event? Keeping it secret since it has been running at the same time every year for decades, in the public (sometimes too public) glare, is a little difficult. Will be moving that particular section to the members only area shortly anyway.

PS - going on the Aerosystems Course in Sep - what is a Divergent Phugoid? Sounds like something I'll NTK.

Where R We?
3rd Jun 2004, 21:51
C U There!

W R W

Divergent Phugoid!
3rd Jun 2004, 23:08
Spotter.....

A divergent phugoid is a way of assessing the long period longitudinal instability of an aircraft. The aircraft is set up and trimmed in straight and level flight and the control column is pushed / pulled to upset the pitch stability of the aircraft. The length of time taken to recover to straight and level flight (and the number of pitch oscillations) is a measure of the stability of the aircraft and the graph of the pitch characteristics of the aircraft describes a phugoid. A divergent phugoid is one where there is negative stability and the amplitude of the pitch oscillations increases.

The closest equivalent analogy I can think of is the shock absorbers on your car - if you depress one corner of the car, the correct response (assuming good shock absorbers) is a decaying sinusoidal pitch oscillation.

Another similie is a Tank slapper on a bike!

Good luck with the course, but dont tell anyone you're going!
:ok: :ok:

Maple 01
4th Jun 2004, 07:59
the NTK principle is bashed into us from day one.

Sorry Spotter, the game has moved on, it's 'need to share' now, not 'need to know'.

regards

-nick

SpotterFC
4th Jun 2004, 18:19
DP

Thanks for that

N1

How could I possibly forget the wonderful FOI Act.

WRW

Looking forward to it.