PDA

View Full Version : Reality check?

Robinxoog
27th May 2004, 09:07
Hi everyone,

Well, it's official - after months hunting for flying work, I think I need a serious reality check... because either (a) no-one actually employs pilots in Australia any more, and those strange buzzing or screaming things in the sky are just strange birds, or (b) I'm really, really looking in the wrong places.

Incidentally, depressing and all as my personal situation may be, this is *not* a request for the bitter and twisted of GA to tell me how horrible life in this industry is. What I am looking for, really, is feedback on where I might go, and whom I should talk to, in order to get back in the air.

I have just over 1200TT, about half of which is multi, I've got the whole bag of fixed-wing licenses (CPL, C/ME-IR, ATPL written), and my paid work so far has been instructing. I have only endorsements in training twins (BE76, PA44), but I'm willing (and indeed planning) to go get endorsements or ICUS if necessary (and before anyone starts having a go at how no-one should ever pay for their endorsements or ICUS time, believe me - I'd rather not need to).

Now, in light of my unsuccessful attempts to find employment in the major cities, I'm coming to the understanding that even with 1200TT and over 500 PIC multi, I still need to head up north to find work - Darwin, Cairns, etc... so, where? I'm pretty flexible about where I end up, but I'd prefer to be with a decent operator in a hard-to-reach place than with a dodgy operator somewhere more convenient. What I'm looking for here are names (and ideally other contact details) of operators that are recommended, i.e. positive feedback about places I might look. I'd be happy to hear from anyone with something good to say about any operator or place.

PMs or public replies are all welcome.

Thanks,
Robin

P.S. A contact has suggested to me getting a Navajo/Chieftain endorsement and some ICUS then trying operators who use those planes up north. Any specific feedback on this idea is also welcome.

Hugh Jarse
27th May 2004, 09:28
Robin,
I think you've answered all your questions yourself.:ok:

The only point I might add (which you suggested yourself) is to head away from the major cities if you're having no luck.

I never did the northern Australia thing. But I think you have to be there at the end of the wet if you are seriously chasing work. Someone else who's done it might like to elaborate or correct me, but I think you can count out this season.

You can also probably count out any usefulness with the MECIR etc for the first job you get outside the cities unless the position is a dual role (ie instructing and charter etc). You'll usually end up with a VFR only job first up.

Good luck:ok:

Speedlever
1st Jun 2004, 01:28
Try Skippers in Perth another thread said they were losing pilots. With that time, you would be in the running for a right hand seat gig in a turbine.