PDA

View Full Version : An accent on PA's......

richterscale10
27th May 2004, 07:32
While I take my hat off to anyone whose first language is not English, but who have to speak it in aviation I do wonder sometimes about accents.
On many occassion a passenger has stopped me mid cabin to ask what the pilot has just said......For the most I probably haven't even been listening but recently, flying with Northern European crews I have made a concsious effort......with no good results!!! I have even made up their names as I cannot pronounce them to any decent standard.
I'm sure this breaks down a part of the CRM and team commitment to each other - as you end up just not making the effort to take up a conversation.
What do you guys think?

seat 0A
27th May 2004, 07:50
For the most I probably haven't even been listening
I'm sure this breaks down a part of the CRM and team commitment to each other

I`m sure it does.....;)

richterscale10
27th May 2004, 11:56
Very Clever seat OA!!!!!

However, my reference was to the PR bit where they give the 'where we are' info, 'at what height' info, 'whats the weather doing' info.....
Having been crew for 20yrs I am very much in tune to dings and dongs, different lights flashing for various reasons and key words like seatbelt, descent and 'to flight deck' ......

and yes - you do touch a point there that if passengers (and crew) turn off and dont listen because they dont understand there is a break down in communication and an opening for error.

That was the original point of my thread!!!!!!

worldwidelad
28th May 2004, 10:36
If I hear the words from the flight crew "Ladies and Gentlemen" I assume this is not information that I need to be listening to, as any important information would be communicated to the cabin crew anyway. Usually too busy working to stop and listen to announcements, and before anyone says it, yes I can do 2 things at once, but not talking to a passenger and listening to announcement at same time!

Haven't found any difficulty communication with foreign flight crew to be honest.

ronnie123
28th May 2004, 15:21
Fly on Cathay Pacific, now with new Chinese Flt Crew, they take English to a whole new Flt Level...:}

richterscale10
29th May 2004, 18:33
Yeah - f ing else!