PDA

View Full Version : Former Duo routes

BDWW
26th May 2004, 23:52
Does anybody know if there are any plans for airlines to take over former Duo routes from BHX?. As surely there are big holes in the BHX market now? I know BA have taken on a couple of routes but are airlines increasing frequencies or aircraft size to meet demand? Also who is doing Duo's charter work now? they did have quite an extensive charter programme this summer.

Flightmapping
27th May 2004, 10:55
BDWW,

I've tried asking the same question myself, but haven't heard much apart from BA wanting to do Berlin when they can get the a/c.

I've done a list of alternatives from BHX at http://www.flightmapping.com/UK/Birmingham/flights/Duo-alternatives.asp

I'd be glad to hear of any additions / corrections to this.

GoEDI
27th May 2004, 12:20
........and EDI!!

Apparently BAA are in talks with 4 major airlines to restart some of the lost routes.

Northwest 34
27th May 2004, 13:16
Hope EDI gets some new ones - some of these routes were doing well and it wsant the EDI routes that were proving difficult

RealFish
27th May 2004, 14:55
FM, I think that BA have taken on the NCE route weekends only.

bmibaby.com
27th May 2004, 16:50
I noticed at NEMA this weekend we had charter flights operated by Hola Airlines & Eurofly, are these replacing duo charter flights or were they one offs?

Can anyone tell me what the size of the British Airways base is at BHX? How many gates, aircraft, crews etc. are at the airport?

Joe Curry
28th May 2004, 07:59
Apparently BAA are in talks with 4 major airlines to restart some of the lost routes.

There is considerable political pressure to get some of Duo's EDI routes reinstated... :D :D

FlyboyUK
28th May 2004, 08:40
BMIBABY.COM

The BACX base at Birmingham uses terminal 2 (Eurohub). There are 15 stands which are shared between BACX, Eastern, Aer Lingus & SN.

I maybe wrong on numbers, but of the 16 RJ100's in the fleet, 6 are based in BHX, with another 2 rotating through LCY and the rest in MAN. It's a little difficult to follow due to the touring patterns that these aircraft fly. I belive the number of Embraer145's at BHX is 5.

Hope that answers your question.

BDWW
28th May 2004, 09:20
Swiss will be moving from terminal 1 to the Eurohub from 1st July. I guess this to do with Swiss joining the oneworld alliance.

Trislander
28th May 2004, 12:52
heard a rumour that Flybe may take up some of the ex-duo routes.

Tri

Scottie
28th May 2004, 14:29
Of the 4 airlines looking at the DUO routes out of EDI the Scotsman said over a week ago BMIR and FlyBe were initally looking at them.

In an article a couple of days ago it stated 4 airlines were now looking at links with SAS looking at the Oslo route.

Wonder who the fourth airline is?

aeulad
28th May 2004, 15:57
Must be Lufty on the EDI-MUC run?

Regards

Mike

Joe Curry
28th May 2004, 16:59
Must be Lufty on the EDI-MUC run?

Strongly tipped!;) ;)

GoEDI
28th May 2004, 17:16
I think BMI are on the MUC run, LH wanted to 'concentrate' on their FRA run.
So, BMI (Regional)- MUC
SAS- OSL
Flybe- ? has to be GVA.
4th airline= Swiss? easyJet?(just because they are reluctant doesn't mean there can't be talks!) :confused:

Joe Curry
29th May 2004, 10:07
Swiss? easyJet?(just because they are reluctant doesn't mean there can't be talks!)

The last time BAA 'talked' to EasyJet they chose NCL!:mad:

Joe Curry
29th May 2004, 15:46
I don't know how SAS fare at other airports but their timekeeping at EDI is exceptional.. rarely late...very often early

Almost 100% punctual (http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=293304)

JobsaGoodun
30th May 2004, 09:36
It would be very unlikely for Flybe to take up the DUO route to GVA out of Edinburgh since the sector length would probably prohibit a Q400 doing this comfortably. EDI is no longer a 146 base for Flybe.

Flybe is more likely to look at OSL as the Q400 would be very suited to routes across the North Sea. Flybe has stated it's intentions to expand operations from both GLA and EDI in the future so I would expect some sort of announcement soon were anything to happen.

Likewise at BHX. We may find expansion there but lack of available aircraft and crew has prevented a massive uptake of the DUO routes from anyone except BA.

Flybe have taken the AHO charters that DUO were operating for Holiday Options as Flybe already work closely with them providing services ex BHX/NWI to DBV and SPU. We'll see in a short while if any further uptake is likely.

However, the lack of other airlines taking up these routes must surley demonstrate that DUO were likely to have been failing on most of them. A profitable route would otherwise not stay vacant for long!! An unfortunate line of events!

groundhugger
30th May 2004, 11:13
Possibly Cirrus(?) to operate the EDI-MUC (think thats their name part of the Lufty group) and maybe Wideroe on EDI-OSL?

I know they have been at EDI recently so you never know.

ajamieson
30th May 2004, 16:25
However, the lack of other airlines taking up these routes must surley demonstrate that DUO were likely to have been failing on most of them. A profitable route would otherwise not stay vacant for long!!

Maybe.

But bear in mind that Duo went tits up four weeks into the summer schedule - a time when no credible airline has aircraft or crews to spare (as noted in your own post). As I understand it, only one of the airlines that has been in talks with BAA actually has the capacity to operate any of those routes anytime soon. And, with the exception of GVA for ski-ing, the start of the winter timetable is generally not the optimum point for route launches.