PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Ide Problem?

tony draper
26th May 2004, 22:27
Trying to instal a CD burner as a secondary slave and have all sorts of probs, keep getting the blue screen of death and System Failier Message, whenever I conect it all up.
Had a standard CD rom on the secondary IDE cable as slave and thats been working fine for a couple of years, no prob
System device manager says.

Secondary IDE controller(dual Fifo)
This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have the drivers installed.
Where would one find drivers for this?or does this suggest the motherboard is seriously porked??

stagger
26th May 2004, 22:31
Have you checked that the jumper switch on the burner is set correctly? i.e. to slave? The drive's manual should have a diagram showing the correct setting.

tony draper
26th May 2004, 23:06
Yes, had it in jumpered as both master and slave, same result, likewise on the primary IDE, when I think about it this problem has prolly been around for a while, I keep a second hard drive outside the machine and bung it in as slave to copy stuff I want to back up from the master occasionaly,last time I tried this it was acting up I could not get the bios to recognise the second disc which it had done no pobs before.
Normaly I would just format the hard disc and do a clean windows install, sods law mate of mine has got my graphic card sound card and modem driver discs.
:(

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th May 2004, 02:34
tony draper,

First start with one HD on Primary Master, and one CD Drive on Secondary Master. See if it works like that.

Some drives will not work as a Slave on an IDE Controller that does not have a Master Drive on it also.

Take Care,

Richard

tony draper
27th May 2004, 06:22
That exactly what I did have Richard, master Hard disc on primary, CD on secondary as slave, if I return it to that configuration it works, but I want the CD burner on the secondary rather then the old CD drive
Think I will format one of the hard discs and just do a clean windows install, I have a feeling my windows instalation must be missing some files os summat.
It is asking for the win 98 disk when I boot up now.

stagger
27th May 2004, 08:44
Richard is suggesting....

Hard in IDE 1 as master
CD-RW on IDE 2 as master

So separate cables - each as a master.

Check during the boot process whether the BIOS is detecting the CD-RW drive. Does it get listed as the drives are detected? Can you go into the BIOS and detect it? If not then reinstalling Windows won't help - since this detection takes place before Windows starts.

tony draper
27th May 2004, 19:31
Yes it is detectingit as slave in secondary IDE slot now thanks, still having a few probs though.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th May 2004, 20:19
tony draper,

You need to change the Jumper on the CD Drive itself from the Slave position to the Master position. Have you done that?

Take Care,

Richard

tony draper
28th May 2004, 09:30
Right peeps,got the machine back to normal, every thing seems to work fine,the new CD writer workd fine as a CD rom,ie it loaded windows onto the machine fine,the trouble seems to start when I load the software that came bundled with it,tiz called Nero, soon as I load that no matter what action I take ie just clicking on control panel or system info I get the blue screen of death and the Fatal Exception message.
As I understand it Nero is the CD burning software,is there any other downloadable software for burning audio CD's out there?because it is that that seems to be causing all the probs,I did have other audio utilities on the machine ie Jet audio,that was possibly causing a conflict, I have deleted all these and removed their keys from the registry.
Any help appreciated.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th May 2004, 13:34
tony draper,

The first version of Nero Burning Rom which supported XP was Nero 5.5.5.1. So you need to have Nero 5.5.5.1. or later. If you already own Nero 5 or 5.5, you can update to the latest Nero 5.5 Version for free.

Free Nero Update v. 5.5 (http://www.nero.com/us/631933457317970.html)

Take Care,

Richard

tony draper
28th May 2004, 16:28
Sorry chaps should have mentioned , I am running win 98.
Both my machines are back to normal now, but neither likes this CD Burner, fine until I load Nero then they both crash.
I get the blue death screen and this message, been pottering around with puters for twenty years but these still mean nothing to me, any ideas?

FATAL EXCEPTION
a exception OD has occured at 0028:0000000Bin VxD-this was called from-028:CC182CC80 in VxD VOLTRACK(04+00000430

Tiz double dutch to me I'm afraid.:confused:

Of course it could always be a faulty CD burner I suppose, the box was suspiciously unsealed.
Yes TCS, I googled it there seems to be hundreds of the buggas, thank you peeps.

stagger
28th May 2004, 17:09
Have you installed any other CD-burning software or just Nero?

tony draper
28th May 2004, 22:53
That seems to be the exact problem ok TCS, thanks, just had a quick look through that link, and I can't see where one can download a fix for this,if it is a known win 98 prob you would think there would be a downloadable fix for it.
Will have anothe look tomorrow, am to tired tonight.
Thanks for the help peeps, given up on the CD burner for now, going to have a wander to the shop where I bought it tomorrow, see if the chap there has any ideas, it doesn't appear to be a problem unique to my machine.

stagger
29th May 2004, 11:23
You actually have to contact Microsoft and ask for the fix - they will then email you details of where to download it. They don't make fixes like this generally available because they're only appropriate for machines experiencing the specific problem in question.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
29th May 2004, 23:16
tony draper,

With as much time as you spend on your computer, you should think about upgrading to Windows XP. They have made many improvements in the last 6 years after Win98 was released. ;)

Take Care,

Richard