PDA

View Full Version : Trusted professions

Keg
26th May 2004, 21:44
Seems that Mr and Mrs Joe Public still think highly of us. If only they knew the truth! :}

A SURVEY lists Australia's most trusted professions:

1. Ambulance officers
2. Firefighters
3. Pilots
4. Nurses
5. Pharmacists
6. Doctors
7. Police officers
8. Dentists
9. Teachers
10. Architects
11. Plumbers
12. Accountants
13. Social workers
14. Religious ministers/priests
15. Auto mechanics
16. Bartenders
17. Builders
18. Financial advisers
19. Taxi drivers
20. Psychologists
21. Lawyers
22. Journalists
23. CEOs
24. Real estate agents
25. Car salesmen
26. Politicians
SOURCE: Reader's Digest

The more I think of it, the more I find it amazing considering pilots abilities to do each other over given half the chance! :( The last half dozen years in Australian aviation would highlight that beautifully- on ALL sides of the fence.

High Altitude
26th May 2004, 23:09
Ahhhh but if you ask a pilot I am sure they will tell you they should be at number 1... :O

Howard Hughes
26th May 2004, 23:26
I really think we should have our own list.

We would'nt want to mix with all those other professionals, who have'nt done the hard yards. ;)

I mean what did they ever do? Go to school/unversity? ;)

Cheers, HH.

:ok:

MoFo
26th May 2004, 23:51
How did teachers get in there so high up. Most are as dumb as..

Kaptin M
27th May 2004, 00:08
How did pollies get as high as #26???

Perhaps we should have sub groups for the pilots....
PPL's
CPL's
ATPL's
......and then a further sub group of the sub groups

Impulse pilots
Virgin Blue pilots
Jet* pilots
QANTAS pilots
Flight West pilots
National Jet pilots

In fact, Keg, it says "professions" and not "professionals" - so (as usual) we're letting our egoes run away with themselves by thinking it refers to US! :{

Lodown
27th May 2004, 00:12
MoFo...as dumb as pilots?

Strange how religious ministers fall between plumbers and automechanics.

lame
27th May 2004, 00:35
Some survey.

Nobody even asked me. ;)

Kaptin M
27th May 2004, 00:43
"Some survey. Nobody even asked me."

Nor was Keg, you were invited to the PPRuNe P!ssup
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=130311

as well, lame, but you didn't show. :(

Quite a constructive afternoon! (We felt 3rd place wasn't too high up the ladder.) :}

Atlas Shrugged
27th May 2004, 02:10
Wonder where Biscuitmaker/adventurer ranks????

Woomera
27th May 2004, 02:39
That must be a very abreviated list. I'm with you Kaptin - how did numbers 21, 22 and 26 manage to get into the top 100?? :confused:

Woomera

Edited 'cause I also wonder how numbers 24 and 25 got into the top 100?

Av8r
27th May 2004, 02:47
Q. What did the University graduate say to the plumber?

A. "Like fries with that sir?"

:=

cunninglinguist
27th May 2004, 02:57
Police at 7 :confused:

saloon
27th May 2004, 02:59
Teachers are as dumb as what? I suppose those 'dumb' teachers just slept through their four years (minimum) of university study.

Indeed, I think that you could do with befriending a teacher, since you obviously lack the ability to distinguish between the words 'trusted' and 'smartest'.

currawong
27th May 2004, 03:05
Turn that list upside down.

Now you have the order in which these professions are payed.:E

lame
27th May 2004, 06:13
Kaptin M,

When you "invited" me via PPRuNe, I told you straight away I would try to get there, but had a lot on around that date.

As it turned out it did happen right on that Sunday, at 0650, our youngest Daughter gave birth to her first child, and our 6th Grandchild.

I was still hoping to come to your "pissup", however there were complications with both my Daughter, and also my newest Grandaughter, and while I am truly sorry for missing your "pissup", as far as I am concerned my family ALWAYS comes first.

Our new Grandaughter has also been in and out of the Children's Hospital several times since then, however thank God, both are okay now.

Best regards,

Lame.

Australia2
27th May 2004, 07:39
Currawong,

A very astute observation !! I think you are on the money - sad but true.

Cheers

Dehavillanddriver
27th May 2004, 08:26
Congratulations to your daughter and yourself lame!

Hope all are well after their troubles

amos2
27th May 2004, 09:06
...ah yes!...isn't lame a true pruner? :p

Kaptin M
27th May 2004, 09:36
Congratulations Granpa lame - we would have wet the new arrival's head in your honour had we known. Happy to hear that all's well with both.

So where do LAME's sons-in-law figure on the list?

lame
27th May 2004, 10:01
Thank you everyone.

Yes all is okay now, thanks to the fantastic staff at both the Womens and the Childrens Hospitals. :ok:

Only one would be on that list, a Teacher, the others are an Electrician and a Groundsman.

Hudson
27th May 2004, 12:10
My next door neighbour is a labourer on a building site in Melbourne CBD. He works around 35 hours a week and earns $75,000 a year. Beats being a grade 3 instructor hanging around the phone for 20 hours a month at $40? per hour. The labourer doesn't have to wear all those fancy gold stripes and big watch and wings, either.

swh
27th May 2004, 13:19
A defense barrister was cross-examining a police officer during a trial - it went like this:

Q. Officer, did you see my client fleeing the scene?
A. No sir, but I subsequently observed a person matching the description of the offender running several blocks away.

Q. Officer, who provided this description?
A. The officer who responded to the scene.

Q. A fellow officer provided the description of this so-called offender. Do you trust your fellow officers?
A. Yes sir....with my life.

Q. With your life? Let me ask you this then officer, do you have a room where you change your clothes in preparation for your daily
duties?
A. Yes sir, we do.

Q. And do you have a locker in that room?
A. Yes sir, I do.

Q. And do you have a lock on your locker?
A. Yes sir.

Q. Now why is it, officer, if you trust your fellow officers with your life, that you find it necessary to lock your locker in a room you share with those same officers?
A. You see sir, we share the building with the entire court complex and sometimes solicitors have been known to walk through that room.

Animalclub
27th May 2004, 13:58
Similarly - when I worked for a transport company my boss said "We trust these so and so drivers with a rig worth more than a quarter of a million dollars yet I wouldn't lend them five bucks". My boss didn't swear.

The Voice
28th May 2004, 01:23
SWH

What a crack up .. but it's the truth!

McRippy
28th May 2004, 07:35
Those who can do those who cant teach, so teachers should be at 100 because they are just wanabe lawyers, pollies, doctors etc

Transition Layer
28th May 2004, 07:54
McRippy,

For starters, I'm sure most teachers would have much better punctuation compared to what you've just showed us.

Whats the difference between Teachers and Instructors anyway? At least Teachers have a united front with the guts to stand up and demand more pay. Does your theory hold true about Instructors?

In the past, many teachers were offered full scholarships to attend university to become teachers, and gained HSC (or equivalent) marks which could have enabled them to become lawyers. They chose teaching as it was a respected occupation then and was paid accordingly.

Pull your head in mate!

TL (son of two teachers and proud of it!)

lame
28th May 2004, 08:02
Yes, some people really need to visit my thread on punctuation, and take the test.... ;) :D

McRippy
28th May 2004, 08:14
my theory is if you could be a lawyer, as alot of teachers are proud to tell people then why didnt they do it. and dont give the bull dung reply that my teacher used to say "it costs alot of money to do a law degree" because if i was going into a job that earnt that sort of money i dont think a 40 g education loan would be that big a deal. instructors are instructors because they either like it better then charter or it is the only job they can get but the main goal for the majority of pilots is to move onto bigger and better things. not many instructors would be happy to just be a G3 instructor the rest of thier lives, sure if pilots showed a united front the conditions may change but when pilots keep cutting under each other then they are the ones to blame. as if an employer is going to knock a guy back who offers his a$$ hole for free and has the exact same pilot skills as a guy who will only fly for the award, get real. i believe the farkwits who fly for free should be openly named on pprune.

Transition Layer
28th May 2004, 08:51
McRippy,

I think you have missed my point. What I was trying to say is that 30 odd years ago, lawyers and teachers were both viewed by the public as being noble professions and were remunerated accordingly.

Between then and now, something has changed to the point where Teachers are viewed in the manner you've mentioned. Why or how, I'm not really sure, but my point is that when senior teachers began their careers they were on par with many other professionals.

As for the instructors comparison, I was simply referring to your statement of "those who can't, teach". Having done some time in both charter and instructing, I can safely say I find instructing much more challenging than hitting "Go-To" in a GPS. Don't get me wrong, some days in charter are bloody hard work, but day in day out, instructing requires a lot more attention! My opinion anyway!

Cheers,
TL

Pinky the pilot
28th May 2004, 08:53
Oi Woomera; What do you have when you have 100 lawyers buried up to their necks in sand on a beach?:E

You only live twice. Once when
you're born. Once when
you've looked death in the face.

Not enough bloody sand!!!! :{

Woomera

McRippy
28th May 2004, 08:58
TL,
i also believe that it has changed over the years and i think it is because of the point i raised that it is easier to just do a teaching degree and sit back and relaxe with the 10 weeks of holidays

grrowler
28th May 2004, 09:28
McRIppy, you are an idiot mate!

I could've studied law if I wanted to, but have never had any desire to - I couldn't think of many things more dull. Likewise, there are many other careers I could have pursued that would have found me in a better financial position today. However I chose aviation because it was/ is my passion.

Believe it or not, some people choose their careers for reasons other than remuneration or status.

I totally agree that there are many instructing for the wrong reasons, likewise I agree that people who offer to work for nothing are c**ts, but the rest of your argument is crap.

If you're chasing the big $, then I would have thought someone of your intellect would have figured out it's not in aviation, so why not do something else (why not try teaching? ;) )

TL, talking yourself up again, I think you need to be sent back to the crack for a little R&R:ok:

Kanga767
28th May 2004, 09:48
OY!

Easy on the Teachers eh? I'm married to one, and the urban myth about 10 weeks off a year is just that.

With todays legal Bullsh*t, it takes her 4 weeks after school every night just to write 30 reports, not to mention how cranky she comes home after dealing all day with spoilt brats from the top 5 professions families.......

BTW, I wanna know where the LAME ranks??!!

K

Cactus Jack
28th May 2004, 09:50
Unfortunately, and this is a generalisation, but Teachers these days seem to be left wing hippies who want to teach our 7 year old children that not only is it normal to be gay, but in fact it's encouraged!

No wonder the arse has dropped out of their pay and status.

Kanga767
28th May 2004, 09:58
Mrs Kanga a hippie?

She can fillet a Barramundi, bait her own hook, back the boat trailer down the ramp and tie a mud crab.

and she doesn't teach year 7......

K

lame
28th May 2004, 10:48
Where does the LAME rank you ask?

That list is only the normal everyday professions ;)

"Ode to the Engineer"

The Airline Transport rated pilot;

Leaps buildings in a single bound.
Is more powerful than Concorde. Is faster than a speeding bullet.
Walks on water. And discusses policy with God.

The Multi-Engine rated pilot;

Leaps short buildings in a single bound.
Is more powerful than a Boeing 767.
Is as fast as a speeding bullet.
Walks on water on a calm day. And talks to God.

The Instrument rated pilot;

Leaps short buildings with a running start and a favorable wind.
Is almost as powerful as a Boeing 737-200.
Nearly as fast as a speeding bullet.
Walks on the water of a deep puddle. And talks to God if specifically requested.

The Commercial rated pilot;

Leaves fingernail scratch marks at the top when trying to leap a short building.
Loses a tug of war with a BAE 125.
Can fire a speeding bullet. Swims well. And is occasionally addressed by God.

The Private pilot;

Rarely clears a Scout camp tent.
Is run over by a single engined aircraft.
Sometimes recognizes a speeding bullet.
Can dog-paddle. And talks to animals.

The Soloed student pilot;

Runs into buildings.
Recognizes a Cessna 172 two out of three times.
Has never seen a speeding bullet.
Can stay afloat under instruction. And talks to the wall.

The Non-Soloed student pilot;

Trips over door sills on entering buildings.
Says "Gosh, look at the airplanes" a lot.
Does not know what a bullet is.
Only stands in the shallow end. And mumbles to himself.

The Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer;

Lifts buildings and walks under them.
Kicks aircraft out of hangars.
Catches speeding bullets in his teeth and chews them.
Freezes water with a single glance. And talks to every body.

The Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer IS God.

:ok:

Argus
29th May 2004, 05:38
With todays legal Bullsh*t, it takes her 4 weeks after school every night just to write 30 reports, not to mention how cranky she comes home after dealing all day with spoilt brats from the top 5 professions families.......

As previously noted by Wizofoz on another thread, it’s amazing how many supposedly educated pilots can’t put together a comprehensible sentence in English!

(Have another go lad!)

Does she need a course in time management? Or is it all merely a consequence of teaching the offspring of:

1. Ambulance officers;
2. Firefighters;
3. Pilots;
4. Nurses;
5. Pharmacists.

McRippy
29th May 2004, 06:20
spoilt kids of fire fighters, ambos, nurses and the grade 2 instructor is there such a thing? if she comes home cranky all the time she might not like her job, shock horror alot of people hate their job but they just put up with it. she just sounds like a .....

lame
29th May 2004, 07:16
Argus,

I tried to answer your PM, but it says your mailbox is full. :(

Yes, it is good. ;)

Best regards,

Lame.

Argus
29th May 2004, 07:20
'In Box' now clear.

Thanks.

saloon
29th May 2004, 10:11
I currently study teaching, and even though i hate having to justify myself in this way, I got the marks to do law and a number of relatively highly renumerated careers (shock horror).

Why didn't I? Well, you could just as easily ask why I didn't do radiography, Sinhalese, or gender studies.

Undoubtedly, there are some teachers who do very little work. But what industry doesn't have those people?

Basically, don't undermine your intelligence (which teachers undoubtedly helped to foster) by making generalisations. Even though you may have spent upwards of thirteen years in the classroom as a student, the experience on the other side of the desk is totally different to many commonly held perceptions.

Kanga767
29th May 2004, 10:36
I'm not a Pilot:p

K

phat boy
29th May 2004, 12:28
catcus jack... alas it's not just the gay thing.

Don't mention anything to do with God, tell us if your parents ever "hit" you, embrace gayness, multi-culturalism, even if you don't like/agree with it because YOU'RE WRONG to think like that, buy a condom in the school toilets lest you knock your 13yo g/f up, report me if, when teaching you, I make you feel uncomfortable about your race/religion/sex/sexuality/etc.

At my 10 year reunion last year it was interesting to note how many teachers had evolved from the types previously seen as "no-hopers". And I'd have to say, in general, teachers, especially professors (at least the ones I met), were pretty much left-wing wallies with little or no "real-world experience". That is apart from one bloke who'd been in the army and had little tolerance for clowns or pansies. He was hilarious... :ok: ...but out-numbered.

From what I know, teachers:

-Work fairly hard...
-...For relatively low pay
-Do one of the easiest degrees in uni (apart from, perhaps, the "aviation studies???)
-Put up with a lot of crap from kids, their parents, Education Dept and Gov't interference.
-Were a lot of fun on the communities.
-Aren't as easy as nurses. ;)

Regarding the survey... MAYBE respondents were asked to grade a given set of professions according to their dependability??? That might explain how POLITICIANS even made it into the list.

Forget all that other ****, I'm glad people still trust me despite not knowing anything about me, personally, when they strap into the seats on ''my'' airliner.

Chuck Magutzup
30th May 2004, 02:42
Pilots might be trusted generally, but I sure as hell don't trust the Jetstar brand of pilot.

MAXX
30th May 2004, 08:39
thats a fairly broad statement CHUCK care to add so reasons:suspect:

Chuck Magutzup
30th May 2004, 12:29
Weeeelll, since you ask so nicely, Maxx, I think I will have my say.

How in the hell can you trust someone who is a reject, yet comes along and undercuts those doing the same job. Yet at the same time, attempts to tell those that he is undercutting, that the recruitment process which rejected him is actually flawed and that he is much better than everyone else.

I wouldn't trust this person. Just so happens there is a significant number of them working for Jetscab.

Northern Chique
30th May 2004, 15:13
wow... I came in number one!!!!! :O

*remains astonished for a while as applying to upgrade to number 6.... how could I be applying to go downhill? go figure... :} *

oh and for the record, I have no kids to spoil :D

spinout
30th May 2004, 21:12
Chuck Magutzup,

What an intelligent post, are you one of the anointed ones, did you make it through the Q intelligence test or are you related to someone already there?
Just because someone did not make it through or choose not to even go that way, long haul is not for everyone, does not make them any better or worse than you. The Qantas system is floored especially when it comes to regional pilots. Maybe some J* pilots did miss out on the Q test but they are now operation jets just like you so maybe it’s not that hard. Q tells you that because you passed their interview and testing you are the best of the best and you like so many in there believe them but guess what….

MAXX
31st May 2004, 02:53
interesting reply CHUCK,just be careful though mate the last person that was almost perfect was nailed to a cross 2000 years ago.

and just for the record i dont work for jetstar but i certainly wouldnt knock it back given the chance. :)

Time Bomb Ted
31st May 2004, 04:47
What number did Air Traffic Controllers come in?

tobzalp
31st May 2004, 04:57
ffs who kicked the rock over?

Time Bomb Ted
1st Jun 2004, 00:38
FMD tobzalp you are touchy. You go mental at anyone who doesn't agree with you to the point of being a bully. Is that what you are tobzalp? A bully.

Awwww poor diddums. Can dish it out but not take it back. Sound familiar?

Get a life dude. Air Traffic Controllers are a good bunch of professionals, but they are not the be all and end all of aviation. Relax a bit will ya?

TBT

tobzalp
1st Jun 2004, 01:02
Heh the I know you are but what am I defence. Nice.

almostthere!
7th Jun 2004, 15:30
pretty harsh MoFO bout teachers, at least they have a passion for what they do STRAIGHT away and MOST seem happy with what they get, unlike US who always SEEM to want to get that one little bit up the ladder. What for, some sort of community good, NO our OWN personal satisfaction and a bigger pay check. Get with it you p%#k and don't put a whole group of people down, the majority of whom are trying to do their bit because they enjoy it and want to give something back.

Sure it might be fun to be the knocker in life but when you are being knocked it hurts, get with it and work out where you would have been without teachers, maybe u have kids and if u do work out where they would be without them? It really p*(#&s me off when people knock other people that aren't as smart as themselves or dont have the same qualifications as them but then forget to realise that they need that person to go about their life.

Im a smart cookie, i have a uni degree, a cpl and a s*&t load of experience in the service industry to realise that it aint what that bit of paper says about you that matters, but rather what your mates WILL say about you when asked.

Get with it.

sirjfp
8th Jun 2004, 07:26
I am now a Paramedic- ambulance officer- whatever you want to call it. I am at the end of my Ist year of achieving my formal qualification ( three years full time combining university study and on road experience)

It is now a very academically based job and the service I work for is acutely aware of our professional image .

We work bloody hard , but it is more rewarding than any job I have ever done.

I am glad that my profession has been found to be the most trusted because you certainly don't do it for the money.

Even after I qualify , unless I do heaps of overtime in the form of 14 hour nightshifts , I will still earn about 15 grand less than I did in my last year as a cabin manager with Ansett, and even then I was earning much less than my QF friends who were in the same role there.

Is this a reflection of my lack of real worth as a professional paramedic or more of a reflection that the job I once held was overpaid for the lack of qualification and skill involved ?

I know I'll set the pussy amongst the pidgeons here , but , having lived life from both sides now , I think that the latter is more the case. I spent a lot of years in my previous job being underworked and overpaid.... jeez it was good while it lasted!

Would be interested to hear what other " professionals" think- or would that require another forum?

tobzalp
8th Jun 2004, 07:48
A very good friend of mine is an ambo and his wife was a comms officer. She quit because she dosen't quite have the right fortitude to be hearing people screaming for help all day (who can blame her). The ambo part of that pair tells me his stories often and I am dead set amazed at how little they get paid for the **** they put up with. I wont go into specifics so as to maybe identify too much but whilst they were trying to have a kid, he was in a situation where he was exposed to the possibility of all of the blood borne nasties such as Hep C and AIDS and from a person very likely to be infected. They had to put their entire life on hold for months and months after.

There is no way on earth I would ever do it. I am an Air Traffic Controller and often when I meet people and this comes up the usually say either are you the guy with the ping pong bats or 'gee that is a stressful job!'. The job itself is far from stressful in my opinion (it is the politics that may make it so) as when compared to things like Emergency Services, we have it easy on the personal safety (with a few recent excpetions) and dollars. Good onya sirjfp, this society needs more people who can do what it is you do and you blokes/chicks deserve stacks more in the pay packet.

sirjfp
11th Jun 2004, 09:13
thanks tobzalp,

when I tell my fellow paramedics what I was earning as a cabin manager they are truly gobsmacked .

I would be interested to hear what others think the true worth of a flight attendant is. ( as compared to other occupations of course)

Argus
11th Jun 2004, 09:47
Is this a reflection of my lack of real worth as a professional paramedic or more of a reflection that the job I once held was overpaid for the lack of qualification and skill involved ?

I know I'll set the pussy amongst the pidgeons here , but , having lived life from both sides now , I think that the latter is more the case. I spent a lot of years in my previous job being underwork

Mate, I'm with you.

But look at the 'QANTAS warned of Heathrow Battle' Thread in the D&G Reporting Points just above this one, and see the vitriol that's heaped on me for daring to suggest same!

sirjfp
12th Jun 2004, 00:20
thanks argus , I just added my 2 bob's worth to that thread as well,