PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Legroom ?

ditzyboy
26th May 2004, 21:30
I am somewhat shocked by Virgin's statement that they have 32" legroom. They seem to be using this line more and more in their ads. Obviously due to Jetstar's 30".

I do not see how it is possible that they can have 144 pax on a 737-700 and claim to have 32" pitch. In front of the overwing it is possible as the have no galleys or closet. But if they have not taken out a row behind the overwing exits it is impossible they have 32". It is more like 30" - same as Jetstar.

The diagrams on the Boeing site have the overwing exit as row 12 - same as DJ but then only extend to row 23 at 32" pitch. Has Virgin removed the back toilets? They hadn't last I checked. Or taken out a row and not updated the 144 pax as stated on their website? If not Virgin are plain lying. You can't advertise 32" pitch but have half the seats on half your fleet at 30". (I am willing to be corrected by someone who works for them or knwos something that I don't.)

I realise this is pedantic. I am not a hater of the airline. Just that they seem to pick out the little things at other airlines but aren't so careful themselves. It wasn't that long ago Virgin had a fleet of 734s with 29" pitch. But they are quick to forget that, aren't they?

Also Virgin will soon have to take a good look at how they manage their yields. They offer connecting flights HBA-MEL-SYD at a cheaper price than someone wanting to fly MEL-SYD on the same flight! This is all over their network. It is great that they are lowering their fares to match or be cheaper than JQ. But how long can this go on for without hurting their profit?

Buckshot
27th May 2004, 22:38
Careful Gareth, your 717 doesn't have 34" any more!

Seriously though, standing at 6' I have never felt uncomfortable in a DJ seat - except for the ex AN 733. I'm not sure where they got those seats from, but they weren't Ansett or Virgin seats. That was the most uncomfortable two hours I have ever spent in the air.
The NG's are fine, admittedly I have never sat down the back though.

ditzyboy
27th May 2004, 22:53
Yeh I know I am being pedantic. I realise an airline can say they have a certain pitch but one or two rows differ for whatever reason. But half the seats on half their fleet isn't the advertised pitch. And they really are flogging it as part of their campaign against JQ. I just think Virgin should be a bit more careful.

The Enema Bandit
28th May 2004, 09:48
Ditzy old son, it's because they're worried. But don't forget, Virgin welcomes competition. I'm amazed at how much Virgin are actually slagging off at Jetstar. Jetstar really don't seem to give a **** about Virgin.

Next Generation
28th May 2004, 15:44
Jetstar really don't seem to give a **** about Virgin.
Of course they don't. They are only here to destroy QANTAS domestic!!!

DDG
29th May 2004, 01:43
Ditzy,
Virgin do have an increased space between the seat rows on its latest -800 series aircraft as these are delivered with a new slim line Webber 5600 series seat.Being slim (or thiner to be more accurate) the seat takes up less space so the pitch is increased if the number of rows stays the same(30 rows for -800,24 for -700).
As you have said early additions to the fleet(all -700`s and some -800`s) are fitted with a Webber 5500 series seat that is of standard thickness and hence less room.

ditzyboy
29th May 2004, 07:03
DDG -
Sorry to get into the semantic but slimline seats increase space between the seats at any given pitch. Pitch is pitch - regardless of how thick the seat is. It is the distance from any part of one seat to the same part on the seat in front. Any part whether that be the cushion, armrest, recline button - whatever. All slimline seats do is increase the amount of space available. So 31" on QF's 744s feels like 32" because of the slimline seats.

A prime example of this is our 717s. I have had NO complaints about legroom on the aircraft with slimline seats. Yet I have had to stop fights between pax on the aircraft with the old Impulse seats. It is because the older seats take up more room than the TWA ones. They are all at 30" pitch however. (Bar the last row I think.)

Anyway. Without removing the aft toilets it is impossible that DJ has 32" pitch behind the exits on the -700s. I am just so interested to know why Virgin are so keen to advertise this when infact it is not true.

Also Virgin keeps saying in their ads "32 inches same as our competitor (QF)..." Notice how QF don't advertise this? It is because no QF 737 has 32" pitch in Y.

I am not a DJ hater. Just pedantic. :D

Dehavillanddriver
29th May 2004, 07:18
Ditzy,

Without knowing the specifics of the spec on EACH aircraft, it is impossible for us mortals to say what the pitch is.

The galley specs and seat descriptions on the boeing website are generic only and each aircraft (ie airframe) has a specific cabin layout.

Having travelled in the back of the aeroplanes on many occasions and being 6'3" I can tell you that they don't APPEAR to have 30" pitch seating aft of the exit rows, I have plenty of room between my knees and the seat in front.

ditzyboy
29th May 2004, 08:58
So are DJ's 73Gs longer then? :D The boeing site used examples with the same lav configuration as DJ. I realise many website / airlines use generic terms but all 73Gs would have the same distance from rear lavs to overwing exits.

Anyways - thanks for your testimony. I am just going to have to board one and measure the distance myself! (very sad!) Didn't mean for my question to spark so much discussion (with few answers!). Thanks again!

Buster Hyman
29th May 2004, 11:12
Well, I'm 6'4" and QF & DJ's seats on the 73NG's SUCK!:mad: And before anyone compares them to AN's EYCL seating, I can't comment...I always travelled up the front!:E ....:( ....:sad: ....:{

DDG
30th May 2004, 03:28
Ditzy,
I edited my last post in reginition of your ponit of view in regards to SPACE and PITCH.
As Virgin currently has around 16 different configurations of aircraft due to numerous lease company`s i can`t comment what the actual seat pitch for each aircraft is,to do so you would need the engineering drawing of each and every aircraft.
However i have been informed that the Virgin Owned -800`s all have 32 inch pitches.
Also i note on Virgins website they say their fleet has an "AVERAGE OF 32 INCHES SEAT PITCH".
THEY DO NOT CLAIM TO HAVE 32" ON EVERY SEAT IN THE FLEET.
AS YOU CAN CHECK ON THIS LINK.http://www.virginblue.com.au/ (http://)

ditzyboy
30th May 2004, 06:25
DDG -
Thanks Mister. Some of DJ's press releases neglect to mention the 'average' part. That's what sparked me off. Anyways I am satisfied at your response. Thanks.

"Every Virgin Blue flight from Tasmania offers individual choice of seating with 32” seat pitch..." (from the SYD-HBA press release (26 May 2004)

mr anderson
30th May 2004, 08:29
There obviously isn't much happening in the world of GA if we are left to talk about "PITCH" on seats!!!!!
:confused:

NAMD
30th May 2004, 09:40
Random check of an older 800 today, 32" to 33" pitch forward of o-wing exit, 31" behind. Not a 30" pitch in sight!:}

With a bit of juggling, 32" wouldn't be hard over the whole a/c.