PDA

View Full Version : Cant see deleted files in recycle bin

mazzy1026
26th May 2004, 21:17
Hi guys

Running WinXP Packard Bell AMD processor etc. When I delet a file I get the usual prompt to send it to the recycle bin > OK

When looking at the recycle bin, the paper icon appears indicating that there are files in there > OK

When I go in there, it is empty, however, when I choose to empty the recycle bin, it still prompts me "Are you sure you want to permanently delet these 28 files..." etc - so there are definately files in there. It wont let me restore all items, an error sound simply plays and nothing else. I have set windows to show all hidden files etc.

Tried a virus scan and all seems OK. This is frustrating as I need to recover files!

Thanks for any replies

Maz :ok:

McStafa
27th May 2004, 20:44
Are you running Norton Anti-Virus by any chance?

mazzy1026
28th May 2004, 08:45
No - thats the thing I done some research on it and noticed that a lot of people had this problem due to Norton, but i'm not running it at all.

Actually this is for a friend - I have done a couple of restore's going back to a month and still no luck. Could it have something to do with the administrator rights?

Thanks

Naples Air Center, Inc.
28th May 2004, 13:30
mazzy1026,

You do not need Admin Rights for the Recycle Bin. If your friend is not using Norton, it sounds like something else is wrong with the OS System Files.

Have you tried a Repair with the WinXP CD?

Take Care,

Richard

ratsarrse
28th May 2004, 14:28
Might not be helpful, but have you tried running chkdsk? (chkdsk /r /f is usually the option I go for - recovers lost clusters etc)

mazzy1026
30th May 2004, 09:43
Thanks chaps - i'll give it a try and post back :ok: