PDA

View Full Version : Just a little bit funny.

Oogle
26th May 2004, 20:59
Just read an article about a Bambi-bucket demo that got out of hand in New Mexico, USA. The worst thing about it? The cameras were rolling!!

Basically, conducting a demo to show the effectiveness of using a Huey for fire bombing but caused a little brush fire due to the downwash and the gents on the ground spinning into action.

Feel sorry for the pilot - embarrasment PLUS!!

:ooh: :uhoh: :\

Rotorhub link: http://www.shephard.co.uk/Rotorhub/Default.aspx?Action=745115149&ID=ae593435-a766-46c8-82ca-bd1c04c42eeb

407 Driver
26th May 2004, 21:12
Boor buggers, probably never waterbucketed to a spot that small before. They should have spent some time practicing prior to the demo.

Worst I saw was a Forest service demonstration on foam-additives. A buddy was using a 206 as the demo aircraft, he got a Bambi filled with water and the foam additive. He hovered 100' high in front of a large crowd for the drop.
Then He dropped everything, the line, the Bambi, everything - SPLAT ! (oops, finger trouble?)

The Bambi actually did well, not too much damage. He told me afterwards " I just wanted to fly away and go home...."

Lu Zuckerman
27th May 2004, 00:12
To: 407 Driver

I had a friend who on two separate occasions dropped a Generals Jeep and a 105-mm howitzer from an H-34 from about 1000 feet. In both cases it was traced to a defective switch on the cargo hook.

:E :E

rotornut
27th May 2004, 10:36
A friend of mine, a CL-215 driver in the NWT, played a practical joke a few years ago. On a day off when the fire crews were having a picnic he decided to pick up a load and drop it on them.
He told me he'll never do THAT again!:\

SASless
27th May 2004, 19:40
Along a similar vein...

Occasion: Major firepower demonstration...combined arms to include Tac Air....artillery....mortars...gunships...right down to pistols....and other deadly weapons like Lieutenants with maps...

Bleachers full of VIP's in fine military regalia....in the middle of all the boom banging....long range artillery, Cobra shooting rockets....50 cals...40mm dusters...and one very grizzly, sleeve full of chevrons....Special Forces NCO...chain launching mortar rounds from a pit immediately in front of the grand stand...and not very far away from it at all....

Said Sarge...experiences a misfire on his mortar...dud round...sitting in the tube making like a boat anchor. Reverting to his many years in combat...ol' Sgt Rock grabs the mortar tube...yanks it up an over his shoulder...and dumps the offending dud round onto ground behind the parapet....and immediately in front of the viewing VIP's. Four rounds later, ol' Rock, distracted by the Chinese Fire Drill and Parliment Meeting going on behind him...realizes what he has done. Master Card for those special moments!:ok:

Ascend Charlie
27th May 2004, 23:00
In 87 in Sydney there was a Heli-Expo at Canterbury Racecourse (no horses that day). The National Parks chopper was putting on a Bambi demo, on a fire area about 10' square.

And after 4 shots, they still hadn't hit it. Ground crews put it out, but there was still a red glow from the cockpit well after shutdown....:\

407 Driver
28th May 2004, 00:16
Longline bucketing is the answer, you have a 100' of cable to give you a chance at aiming......I couldn't hit a hangar on a Belly Hook ! ...well maybe a big hangar might get wet?

Here's a shot of a Bambi bucket (800L) on a 150' line.

http://img74.photobucket.com/albums/v226/dsmctighe/407_Vertical_Reference.jpg

that chinese fella
28th May 2004, 08:45
Hey 407,

great shot!!

Lazy buggers, letting the old seat belt smash into the poor old crosstube. There isnt a 206 i the world that doesnt have that sort of paint loss hey!;)

Oogle
28th May 2004, 21:51
You Canadians are good!

I know if I was trying to take a photo whilst fire bombing the guy in the aircraft behind me will be dumping his next load of water on the smouldering remains of my machine.

A little beauty.

:ok:

407 Driver
28th May 2004, 23:33
Thanks Guys :O

The Boss has given us $hit for that X-tube, and we are very careful now after the re-paint. The old gal is a 1996 model 407, so that's 7 years of pilot abuse showing on the X-tube.

This shot was taken when climbing off the Lake, so I'm about 200 AGL (or more!) and in a positive climb, flying with my right hand, looking forward.
I reached over with my left hand a started clicking off a lot of shots (Nikon 995 Digital), some worked, some were blurred, some were of various other scenes, Basket, skid gear, ???, this one did sort of work though.

I'd like to have some pictures of the water dropping onto a fire, but would have to hard mount a camera into the pilot's bubble window, and have a shutter release on the cyclic.

Hmmm, I see a huge Accident / Incident report over that set-up....."....pilot drops line and bucket into fire..." or worse :eek:

oscar bravo
29th May 2004, 01:41
407 Driver

What about putting that photo in Photoshop (or similar) and
putting a red "X" on the spot that the water would hit!!

I've never seen that sort of thing done, and am curious!!

Or at least explain where the water would go

Thanks

407 Driver
29th May 2004, 02:02
Good questions O.B.
A couple of issues with the picture though...

1) The view is not exactly the pilot's eye view, the camera was held out in the bubble window, and is probably more forward and further out than my eye would be.

2) This picture is taken much higher than at any accurate drop height. As I mentioned earlier, I wasn't about to clown around with a camera when down close to the ground, so this pic was taken over 200 AGL on a Positive climbout. ( but given 150' of line, 80' trees, it may well be over 300' AGL ???)

In some situations, I will actually lower the bucket well below the tree canopy to get a more compact drop-pattern on a hot-spot.

John Eacott
29th May 2004, 02:55
Before we "graduated" to 100' lines, this was a hover drop on a smoker. Just to prove we could ;)

http://www.eacott.com.au/gallery/d/8187-1/BKL+hover+drop+large.jpg

407 Driver
29th May 2004, 04:57
Excellent shot John, How did you get it? a Passenger, or yourself?

Here's what the Belly drop looks like from below....

http://img74.photobucket.com/albums/v226/dsmctighe/ALP_Lk_Louise.jpg

And my Base pilot playing with the L3, er.....I mean testing the bucket last week....

http://img74.photobucket.com/albums/v226/dsmctighe/ALJ_Bucketing.jpg