PDA

View Full Version : Green Card

cyyz
26th May 2004, 19:54
Howdy,

Just wondering is it easy to get a temp or permanent work visa(green card) in the states?

If I marry a US citizen do I get a free Green Card?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

loch34
26th May 2004, 21:44
Sure, I can give you some tips.
I am an Australian Pilot working in the North East of the USA, been here for about 2 years now, on a H1B tempory permit.

The easiest way to work here is to marry a US citizen. It won't take long to get your right to work here after that.

You can also get a US company to sponsor you for a H1B.
That may mean coming here or ringing them up, getting a foot in the door, then getting a lawyer to do the red tape side of things. That process can take anywhere from two to 4 months. (about a $1000 US) I strongly recommend a lawyer, so you don't have delays.
The H1B is valid for 3 years, and renewable for a further 3. If you get in with the right company, they'll probably 'sponsor' you for a green card once they know you alittle more.
And flying jobs are starting to gain momentum here, so this is an option.
I phoned different companies, and ended up getting a job that way.

You can also enter an annual "green card lottery". You enter into the draw in November/December and if your lucky enough, lightning may strike and you could get one that way.
For more info, goto
http://travel.state.gov/2004.html
this is a free service.

later

Onan the Clumsy
26th May 2004, 22:15
Pretty much what loch said. Marrying is the easiest way, but it has to be a genuine marriage and they do check. Also, if you do marry, it's not a free green card. You still have to apply and it still takes a while.

So, find an employer who will sponsor you under an H1-B and remember, it will be v difficult to change employers, so pick a good one. Also, the green card application (after having an H1-B for a while) will take at least two years.

It's a tough row to hoe, but far from impossible. Good luck to you.

loch34
27th May 2004, 03:31
Get a drive up marriage in vegas for 100 bucks, and they'll even have elvis do it!!!....then put your change into a type rating, you'll need it. (-;

Drop me an email, i can probably hook you up with a few companies hiring. Good luck.

richterscale10
27th May 2004, 07:03
did you know - green cards are actually pink in colour - well mine is anyway.
I did marry a USA guy (for the right reasons) and it took still a good 18mths to get a green card in my hand. We went to countless interviews where they asked us questions (separately) about our life together and I found it all very degrading and long winded - like they were trying to make out I was there under false pretences.Ten years later - I am back living in the UK - and I've left the USA behind.
The US culture is VERY different to live in and I think in the current political climate they have some difficult times ahead.
Its a great place to visit but I could never call it 'home'.

SAS-A321
27th May 2004, 08:20
Loch34: What did you tell the airlines you talked with?

"Hey I am an Australian guy looking for work and a tempoary work permit"? "Okiy here u go..."? :)

I just got a C/D1 (I think it's called) and it expires in year 2011! But I don't think that I can work with it in the US as my current company has printed its name on it in my passport.:suspect:

loch34
27th May 2004, 15:28
SAS-321,

I don't know what a C/D1 permit is, i havn't heard of it.
I originally applied to a job on findapilot.com, and because i had some hrs on type, they decided to sponsor me.
So I spent months getting a H1B sorted out. It wasn't an airline job, but a privately owned corporate part 135 position. Airlines won't usually sponsor a pilot from abroad.
I changed jobs in January, and now the INS wants to know everything from my high school results to the color of my socks.
It s**ks, because meanwhile millions of immigrants are illegal here.
To change jobs you have to transfer the H1B, and find an employer who'll do that. I phoned the chief pilot, asked him for an appointment, then convinced him why he should hire and sponsor me...bla bla bla.
In the time i've been here, I've bumped into a few other pilots from abroad on H1B permits, so its not impossible.
BYE

cyyz
27th May 2004, 16:10
Thank you all for the replies.

Very positive and helpful comments.

Re-Heat
28th May 2004, 09:54
I believe if you are a British citizen, you are ineligible for the annual green card lottery however, as it is aimed at allowing ethnic diversity?

OFBSLF
28th May 2004, 17:34
We went to countless interviews where they asked us questions (separately) about our life together and I found it all very degrading and long winded - like they were trying to make out I was there under false pretences.Sorry it was unpleasant for you. The unfortunate reality is that there have been many sham marriages just for immigration purposes. That's why BICE (nee INS) looks at these things very closely. Unfortunately, like many buruearats, they can be quite unpleasant to deal with. because meanwhile millions of immigrants are illegal here. Very true. Our system is set up in weird and wonderful ways. Some folks have been pushing states to issue drivers licenses to illegal immigrants. Most local authorities will not (and can not) take legal action against someone they suspect of being an illegal immigrant. Only BICE and Border Patrol can do so. Even if they are arrested by BICE, chances are they will be set free before their detention hearing. So they will likely scamper off. If they do attend their detention hearing and are given a deportation order, they are again set free, and will likely scamper off.

Basically, the only way an illegal immigrant gets deported is if they are 1) caught crossing the border or 2) commit a serious crime. Right now, I suspect the BICE only has the resources to deport 50k illegal immigrants per year. At that rate, we'll never get the problem under control.

Just to be clear, I am not anti-immigrant. Like most folks here in the US, I descend from recent immigrants -- my 4 grandparents legally immigrated from the USSR in the 1920s. What I'm against is illegal immigration -- it is a crime and we should be enforcing our laws.

Panama Jack
31st May 2004, 13:34
If I marry a US citizen do I get a free Green Card?

cyyz, I am soooooooo shocked in you! :D

You should know better than to think that if you get married anything will be "free"-- one way or another, you end up paying for it, just like Canadian medical care.

Also, natives of Canada (if you were born there) are not eligible for the Green Card Lottery.

fernytickles
31st May 2004, 17:19
Loch34

I read this post yesterday and it caught my interest as I have been idle for over 3 years now awaiting a work permit. I had a job lined up but was advised, categorically. by two separate lawyers that the H1B did not cover pilots. With 7 years in the airlines, I met all the requirements of the visa, but we ground to a halt because of the 'no pilot' part.

How did you do it?? I am now struggling with the idea that I have wasted 3 years of my earning life by not pushing hard enough back then :( and its really bugging me to know how you managed to get that blooming visa!!!

cyyz
1st Jun 2004, 17:05
Ah, So if I can't get the H1, guess I'll have to go the marriage route.

Anyone have an american sister?

Panama Jack
3rd Jun 2004, 14:57
Here's a great new Immigration Scam:

Now that two men (or two women) can marry in San Francisco or Massachusetts, head down there and find a US pilot who wants a Canadian work permit also . . . uh, hold on, is there such a beast? Exchange vows, and the rest, is history. :}

cyyz
3rd Jun 2004, 18:01
If I can't find an American lady to hitch up with, you think I'll be able to find an American Man to do the same?

brockenspectre
3rd Jun 2004, 18:27
Re-Heat if racial diversity was the point of the Green Card Lottery I wouldn't object but I have been told that as it currently stands any citizen of the EU except British citizens may apply for the Lottery!!! Now that is what I call nationality discrimination!

My friends in FL want to adopt me but as I am older than them we suspect the US Imm authorities might not buy into our plan :E

BritishGuy
6th Jun 2004, 04:44
Errrr......do u think the gay marriage thing for a Green Card would work?? Not that I need one, I already have one, but it's a loop hole....best not say anything else about holes. No pun intended.

chimbu warrior
6th Jun 2004, 08:06
................well, you'd be putting yer butt on the line...............

Damheadwinds
8th Jun 2004, 19:12
Well we all have our different stories.

Mine started years ago when I tried for about a year to get a H1B visa only to find that no company in the US would sponsor me period ! So that was the end of that !!

Im an Aussie by the way.
I then got married to an Aussie lady who was working for a French company at the time. A short while later she was asked by her company to transfer to the US and was issued a L1 visa ( intercompany transfer ) which took 8 months for her company to get for her.
It was a long wait and the company had to produce a heap of material for the government to look at to justify why they were hiring an Aussie over a Yank.
The beauty of an L1 visa is that it allows the spouse( L2) of the Primary entrant to obtain an INS EAC ( employment authorisation card ) which can only be applied for once residing in the country.
It took another 4 months for me to get the EAC and I am now waiting on one final piece of paper which is the social security number ( like a tax file number ) which takes about 1 month to get from application.
So all up it has been about 14 months to get to here and the cost exceeded $5000 for her company to make application through an immigration lawyer.

The L1 visa is valid for 5 years but the employment auth on it is valid for only 3 thus you need to do a renewal prior to it expiring.
The L1 allows the primary to work for only the sponsoring company.

The L2 is valid for 5 years but requires renewal every year. It allows the L2 holder to work for any company without constraint. Once you have a social security number for tax purposes.

So that’s my story !!

pilotusa
8th Jun 2004, 23:32
Panama -

The same sex marriage laws in Massachusetts and San Francisco won't get you anywhere with immigration. The immigration laws are federal and they do not recognize same-sex marriages on the federal level...so no green card.

In short order, the federal law discriminating against same-sex couples legally married in one of the states will be tested by lawsuit. It will probably end up in the Supreme Court and the process will likely take at least 4 or 5 years.