PDA

View Full Version : Qantas to hire o/shore F/A s

lame1
26th May 2004, 18:55
After listening to the great Mr Dixon today,it sound like you guys should draw a line in the sand,time is running out.The LAMES have.www.jetsafe.com.au
Good luck i think we will need it

AintNoMtnHiEnuff
26th May 2004, 22:52
No way Lame1, the fun is just about to start!!

ginjockey
27th May 2004, 01:47
This is disgusting. What about all you fine Aussie guys and girls who have given it all you have, spent a small fortune on applications and interviews, studied courses and researched your career down to the last detail. Nah, let's just wipe the slate clean and employ a few foreigners who'll work for less. Let's just employ some migrant labour and make the bottom line look a bit better. It'll be a sad day for aussie aviation if it happens.

Left2primary
27th May 2004, 09:27
How ironic that last week we had both Federal and S.A. State Ministers traveling to both Japan and Germany unsuccessfully fighting for the 700 Mitsubishi engine plant jobs and yet this week we have geoff dixon and his henchmen planning to export 1000 jobs overseas for no other reason than to boost the bottom line of the worlds most profitable airline and his performance bonuses.

Disgusting, un- Australian and indefensible

QANTASTIC
27th May 2004, 09:43
I total agree Left2primary it a sad state of affairs !! I guess the sad thing is that the comany has already made the decision !! !
not good!!

Argus
30th May 2004, 08:36
I'm not normally into 'just the cut and paste' routine, but Saturday's editorial in the Sydney Morning Herald offers a detached viewpoint on what will likely be a turbulent EBA negotiation.

QANTAS JOINS JOBS FLIGHT

The Qantas chief executive, Geoff Dixon, notes a "knee-jerk reaction" each time a company suggests the shift of Australian jobs overseas. To him, it is all a question of hard-nosed common sense. In the era of globalisation, where regulatory boundaries are increasingly irrelevant, companies meet rivals on competitive costs or they perish. The tough arithmetic for locating overseas 840 Qantas cabin crew - a quarter of the airline's international total - is a lot more compelling than Mr Dixon was forthcoming until a leaked internal document exposed Qantas's intentions. Now the plan is out, negotiations should proceed with greater frankness.

Mr Dixon says Qantas needs to put more workers offshore to increase efficiency and profitability so that the airline can compete more strongly internationally and expand job opportunities in Australia. That might sound self-contradictory. Consider, however, the crew logistics of the longest haul. Flight attendants leaving Sydney rest in a stopover, Singapore or Bangkok, for 24 hours before flying on to London where they spend three or four days in rest. The return flight involves a 48-hour stopover. By the time they return to Sydney, they will have spent 52 hours in flight for their nine days away.

The location of cabin crew in London might not save much on wages but would put a big dent in Qantas's crew accommodation costs. Naturally, Qantas also sees value - $20 million a year worth - in replacing 400 Australians with cheaper overseas workers.

There are threads, however, not necessarily immediately apparent to a company accountant's eye. Australian workers fear displacement for reasons of individual economic stress, and the community worries whether some modern paradox of wealth equates affluence inversely with job security. The wealthier a nation gets, it sometimes seems, the less able it is to retain the means of wealth for its people. The jobs export in footwear, clothing and textiles to low-cost locations over the past two or three decades, and of call centre jobs more recently, is indicative.

Qantas has a special, symbolic place in Australian life. If any changes such as those Mr Dixon now rightly proposes become inevitable in these tough times they must be made very carefully. Mr Dixon wants to soften up the unions ahead of a December renegotiation of job rules. His remarks should not be lightly dismissed as bluff and bravado. Too many international airlines have collapsed because they failed to adapt to competition, a result that serves neither shareholder nor worker.

SydGirl
30th May 2004, 09:44
Qantas needs to put more workers offshore to increase efficiency and profitability so that the airline can compete more strongly internationally and expand job opportunities in Australia

So putting more workers offshore will actually help Qantas expand job opportunities locally?

Sounds like management-speak to me.
SG
:yuk:

jb_flyer
30th May 2004, 12:19
So putting more workers offshore will actually help Qantas expand job opportunities locally?

Of course it will SydGirl, more casual MAM flight attendnts of course... seeing as though QF is devoted to driving labour costs down in both short and long hal divisions... And the removal of conditions due to the casualisation(sp?) of the workforce.

Or is that just the cynic in me talking?? hahaha

JB

SocialFlyer
30th May 2004, 12:31
Hi Guys,

Everytime I read about the way the airlines industry (Qantas) is heading I actually can't help but feel sad. At times I actually question if pursuing a career in the industry is worth it when there are so many negative aspects (those mentioned above). These days it looks like you have to risk everything if you want to work for Qantas (ie. Casualisation, contracts etc..). What happened to the good old days where advertisements actually read:

"Only Full Time emplyment available, NO CASUAL"......

Just head to get that off my chest...

Cheers

SocialFlyer:ok: