PDA

View Full Version : South African HELICOPTER ATPL?

DualDriver
26th May 2004, 09:40
Is there anyone out there that have the FAINTEST idea as to when the S.A.C.A.A will bring out a HELICOPTER ATPL syllabus for said licence?

Are they working on it, or do helicopter pilots have to continue with the fixed wing module?

Just wondering.

francois marais
26th May 2004, 10:46
Valid question Dual Driver! Judging by your name, you must be an instructor, so I will assume that you are in the training environment, and often deals with examination papers.

The former curriculum manager at the old DCA and later on at the CAA, set up the syllabus in a very autocratic way. HIS way. This man thought he was very clever by basing the entire question database on the AP3456. In doing so, he created so much confusion, as nowhere is there a reference basis available to the answers, other than in the AP3456, which of course as you know, is a restricted document, and the property of the British Air Force, and not freely available to Joe Public.

Furthermore, the AP3456 is based on using the Gazelle Helicopter as a training machine, which has a clockwise rotating main rotor. The questions created in the SACAA examination, has thus caused an awfull lot of confusion, as certain questions asked, are based on a clockwise rotating main rotor, whilst most students in SA anyway, train on helicopters with counter clockwise main rotors. So this creates confusion. (refer to Gazelle Graphs modified to look like B206 graphs, direction of roll during dissymetry of lift, retreating blade stall, 90º gyroscopic effect etc. and loads more.)

What is really mind boggling is the fact that currently there is NO curriculum manager at the CAA, therefore these issues are not being addressed in the appropriate fashion, with the result that all helicopter students are obliged to do their "Flight Planning" based on a King Air 200. Now I ask you, what does an "ab initio" helicopter student know about a King Air 200?

Until such time that a curriculum manager is appointed at the SACAA to revise the current one, and put it right, you will have to teach your students about fixed wing airplanes whilst you're doing their cross countries, and your poor students wil have to suffer the possible failure of their initial exams, simply due to the inefficient and autocratic manner in which the CAA had allowed the curriculum to be implemented. It's truly a disgrace!

Viva SACAA, Viva!!

DualDriver
26th May 2004, 11:11
Thanks for that Francois

I agree with what you are saying. I was fortunate to get my hands on the AP3456 for my examinations. Didn't really have a problem with the clockwise/anti-clockwise rotating M/R, but agree with what you are saying. They NEED to look at a PROPER module for helicopters, i.e flight planning, AT&G etc.

But what about the Airlie Pilot's Licence. How can they expect helicopter pilots to write exams based on the 747. From what I understand, the Aussie atp have a syllabus based on the Sikorsky S-76. Is this correct? If SAA can send their cadets to Aussie for their licences (they USED to) can we not adapt to THAT module?

Deanw
26th May 2004, 12:15
Seems like the RAF are into some fundraising:

http://www.centralflyingschool.org.uk/Today/3456.htm

and even some tips of helo ops in icing conditions:

http://www.centralflyingschool.org.uk/Winter/HeloOper.htm

DualDriver
26th May 2004, 12:45
Very interesting. Not only the RAF uses the AP's, the SAAF uses them too.

B Sousa
26th May 2004, 15:04
ATP brings up a good conversation. They have become the latest rage here in the states for Resumes (CV).....They dont make the Pilots any better but employers can say that his Pilots are all up to certain standards. The majority of the Helicopter world here in the states is quite happy getting paid with a Commercial License. Also some major operators are requiring a Helicopter Instrument ticket, when they do no more than VFR flight. Can you read between the lines on that.. You got it, they are flying VFR aircraft into sh1t conditions and are hoping an instrument pilot will go the extra mile to make money for the company. You read about it all the time ....crashed after continued flight into IMC........
AS to the ATP, I see no real purpose other than to be one up on someone over a beer.
If you think they are great tell your employer to raise your pay accordingly, Im sure he will give you the correct answer.