PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre!!

hairyclameater
26th May 2004, 08:26
LFA 7 - yesterday about 12 noon. Top of Bwlch Groes - (half way down the Dinas branch off the Machy loop) GR4 screams through doing what they do at 250AGL heading for an IP to hit Bala. Look up and see just skimming the clouds at about 1500AGL is a Queens flight 146!!!, Cue the GR4 wingman to follow through on a 10second space from the leader.

How??!! Why??!! Was there common knowledge of a Royal Flight? didnt see a NOTAM

Was it you!?? any offers

Hard Bernard
26th May 2004, 08:38
No RF yesterday, at least not in that area and not in a 146. Probably 32 Sqn getting in a bit of SCT or possibly DACT!

pr00ne
26th May 2004, 10:41
HCM,

What makes you think it was a Royal Flight? The Queens Flight hasn't existed for years.
32 Sqn have many, many roles in addition to that of Royal taxi.

hairyclameater
26th May 2004, 11:24
OK,OK, "Queens Flight" became a quicker way of saying "No32 (The Royal ) squadron"

Didnt think it was necessarily a RF as the NOTAMs didnt mention one - just very strange to see a 146 in such a well used LFA at fairly LL. Both GR4s pulled up to about 800'' prior to their run in - very close to the 146, though they had travelled a little further north by then.

Just alerting all to the (possible) incident!

tradewind
26th May 2004, 17:58
I know this is a rumours website, but this reporting of a 'possible incident' with apparently no knowledge of the facts is as bad as cr@p tabloid sensationalism.

The see and avoid principle has been around for years.

Chris Kebab
26th May 2004, 18:09
On behalf of military aviators the world over I would just like to say thanks to Hairyclameater for highlighting "the (possible) incident" for us.

Much appreciated........

MobiusTrip
27th May 2004, 02:35
Indeed - cue 'muted cheer' and sporadic golf applause.

hairyclameater
27th May 2004, 08:36
Tradewind - I see your point and on reading back the post perhaps my wording was "reactionary" and that some dubious researchers trawling through this web site may have assumed too much and made a story of it. That certainly was not my intention - merely to say what I had seen, and I am well aware of the see & avoid principles of airmanship!
Thanks to CK & MT for seeing the positive side!
Safe flying to all of us!!