PDA

View Full Version : 100 hours inspection intervals

rottenlungs
26th May 2004, 02:48
Hi there

I`m still pretty damn new to this crazy flying lark and wondered if someone could confirm something for me.

I`m learning in a venerable c152 and in the maintenance record shows the due time for the next 100 hours check. Now the a/c I flew last weekend had more than 100 hours to run to the next check, according the a/c`s logged hours. I queried this with my FI who said that this is because the plane went in early for its last 100 hours inspection, and the next inspection time is based on 100 after the previous due time, not the previous actual inspection time.

Is this correct? Also, if it is, how far can it be stretched. i.e if the plane went in for its 100 hours check after say 70 hours, would it then be 130 hours until the next check had to be performed?

Thanks for reading

James

Bevan666
26th May 2004, 03:17
That is not the case. You are flying an aircraft which is technically un-airworthy.

If the hours on the clock exceed the expiry time on the MR, then the MR is not valid. The only time you can exceed the validity time is if you then ferry the aircraft to get a 100 hourly performed, and the time taken above 100 hours must come off the time taken for the next 100 hourly inspection.

(ie you arrive at maint base with 102.5 hours since last 100 hourly then the next MR will expire at 97.5 hours).

Bevan..

rottenlungs
26th May 2004, 05:03
Hi Bevan

Thanks for the info. I`m not quite sure if I explained what I mean very well.

Here`s an example

Maintenance log says next 100 hrs inspection required at 7676 hours A/c log says total hours on a/c are 7566.

The explanation given was that the last inspection was due at 7576 so the next one becomes due at 7676, even though it was actually inspected at 7566 hrs.

These figures are not the exact ones (I can`t remember the actual numbers but it worked out to about 103 hours time).

So, the hours on the clock are nowhere near the expiry time - what interested me was that the next inspection had been scheduled for 100 ahead of the last scheduled inspection, not 100 ahead of the last actual inspection.

Maybe I`m being "anal" but I would hate to be learning bad habits..

Cheers

James

Bevan666
26th May 2004, 05:39
Sounds very dodgey to me. What if I had my aircraft inspected three times, in a row. Is it now good for 300 hours? I think not.

I think the maintenance organisation dont understand what the '100' hours in a 100 hourly actually mean.

If you get a 100 hourly done before its due, tough titties. You cannot add on the entra on a maintenance release legally.

From the CASA web site (http://scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/pastereg/0/51/1/PR007670.htm)
Part 2 Periodic inspection

2.1 Subject to paragraph 2.2, an inspection (in this Part called a periodic inspection) must consist of the taking of the actions set out in the table at the end of this Part as applicable to the aircraft.

2.2 The holder of a certificate of registration for a class B aircraft may elect to have a section or sections of the periodic inspection carried out on the aircraft at a different time from the other sections.

2.3 A periodic inspection must be carried out on a private aircraft within the period of 1 year from:

(a)
the day on which the aircraft's current certificate of airworthiness was issued; or

(b)
the day on which the most recent general maintenance inspection on the aircraft was completed;

whichever is the later.

2.4 Subject to paragraph 2.5, a periodic inspection must be carried out on a class B aircraft that is not a private aircraft within whichever of the following periods expires first:

(a)
one year from:

(i)
the day on which the aircraft's current certificate of airworthiness was issued; or
(ii)
the day on which the most recent general maintenance inspection on the aircraft was completed;
whichever is the later;

(b)
The aircraft has been in service for 100 hours since:

(i)
the aircraft's current certificate of airworthiness was issued; or
(ii)
the most recent general maintenance inspection on the aircraft was completed;
whichever occurred later.

Torres
26th May 2004, 06:29
Bevan. Correct - except for one point. A pilot can not plan to conduct a flight unless adequate hours remain on the MR to complete that flight.

Your suggestion that: "The only time you can exceed the validity time....." is not quite correct. An aircraft which is at (or exceeds) 100 hours from the last inspection would require a Permit to Fly prior to commencement of the ferry flight back to a maintenance base.

rottenlungs. If the aircraft you fly is on a 100 hourly system of maintenance (and aircraft on an Approved System of Maintenance usually have different periods of MR validity), a MR can only be valid for the next 100 hours - and not a minute more!

piontyendforward
26th May 2004, 07:30
Not quite right for NZ.

From the posters reagion i.e. NZ; the aircraft will be maintained as per Part 43 or a CAA approved maintenance program and/or a part 145 approved maintenance contractor. IF the latter then you would have to have a copy of the operators manual to check it out.

IF part 43 then the 100 hours (flight time) starts from the hours when the check was completed or the last 100 hour inspection completed, whichever occures sooner.

EG take the aircraft in at 80 hours done since the last inspection the tough ti**ies you just lost 20 hours from the last 100 hour.

In New Zealand you may fly the aircraft over 100 hours IF and only IF any hours over 100 are for the purpose of ferrying to a place where the maintenance can be performed. You may not carry pax, carry out instruction etc The hours then over 100 are taken off the next inspection. i.e. it took you 5 hours to ferry the aircraft to the maintenance base then the next check will only be 95 hours away.

Also the 100 hour inspection and the Annual inspection are one in the same if operating the aircraft maint. as part 43.

Also the 100 hours only relates to FLIGHT time in Maint. terms Take off to Touch down not Tacho or Hobbs (guess who wins there hint-it aint the hirer)

Aussie rules and enzed rules are slightly different is some areas, niether is better or worse, just different.

Pionty

rottenlungs
26th May 2004, 09:55
Hi guys

Thanks for all the information. Once again pprune is such a wealth of knowledge.

I sort of suspected that you shouldn`t really be able to end up in the situation where you are allowed more than 100 hours between inspections.

I will collar the CFI next time I`m at the flying school. Mind you, I will feel like a cheeky upstart!!

Thanks again everyone

James

EngineOut
26th May 2004, 11:14
it depends on the system of maintenance that you aircraft is on. The C208 our company operates is on the Cessna 208 phase card program, which was certified by the FAA and then by CASA. It allows maintenance to be done within 10 hrs before the next scheduled maintenance without affecting the hours for the rest of the MTC on the MR.

eg next maintenace due at 1900 TTIS, then the next after that is at 2000 TTIS. the MTC req'd at 1900 hrs can be started at any time after 1890hrs without affecting the next due after that (ie 2000TTIS). So if it went in with 1890 TTIS, it would come out with 110 hrs till next MTC is due. The only time this does not apply is on a new MR.

rottenlungs
26th May 2004, 11:44
Hi engineout

That would possibly be an explanation. I know it was less than 10 hours before (3.something I think) so maybe its on a similar scheme.

Cheers

James

PS They weren`t kidding when they said that a plane doesn`t fly until the weight of the paperwork exceeds the all-up-weight!

Bula
26th May 2004, 14:25
Correct me if i'm wrong but are you talking about the maintenance clock doesn't equal the maintenance releance TTIS???

It is quite common for the maintenance clock not to be the same as the maintenance releases TTIS. The airswitch or tacho probabl went bung very early in the peace.

When operating an aircraft it must be maintained by one of two methods. More is the CASA guidelines. The other is the Manufactures guidelines. The aircraft I fly are flown until 110 hours TTIS in accordance with the manufactures guidelines (approved by CASA of course).

Dont know if this will help at all but if that is what the CFI told you.. we'll i'm sorry to say he needs to go and have a chat with his maintenance. Imagine the show cause if the school had an accident with an aircraft not carry or even having a valid maintenance release. :ugh: .. not good

Dont feel like you being a smart ass.... Just have a chat to the guys at maintenance next time the aircraft goes u/s (so.. probably in one of the two times you fly next :D )...... they might be able to give you an answer before you approach the CFI. Always a good idea to have all your facts correct.

good luck with it anyway