PDA

View Full Version : LASIK eye surgery

Code Red
25th May 2004, 23:03
I heard that corrective laser eye surgery my cause a rejection by the medical department. Anyone know for sure?

Thanks

WaldoPepper
26th May 2004, 07:11
Check your PM's

WP

Cpt. Underpants
26th May 2004, 13:59
FYI

Verbatim (From The HKCAD AIC9/97)

7. Corrective Surgery

Various surgical techniques (including laser) are now available to correct problems with distant vision. Aircrew are warned that such procedures have the potential for long lasting side effects and complications that interfere with safe flying. Aircrew undergoing these procedures run the risk of being grounded for a minimum period of one year and in some cases, permanently. For this reason, these techniques cannot be recommended.

Good airmanship requires spectacle wearers to increase their head movements when scanning for collision avoidance.

AIC 10/97

Intermediate Vision Test

This serves to announce that an intermediate vision test will be introduced in the medical examination for the issuance of a Hong Kong Class I and Class 3 medical certificates with effect from 1 August 1997.

The intermediate vision test will assess the applicant's ability to read at a distance of 100cm. If this requirement is met by the use of corrective lenses, the applicant may be assessed as fit provided that such lenses are available for immediate use when exercising the privileges of his/her licence. A spare set of the correcting lenses shall be made available during such time.

Code Red
26th May 2004, 16:12
To be more specific, I had the surgery seven years ago and have had NO complications at all. I am now scheduled for my first CX interview and was looking for information regarding Cathay’s hiring standards.

Thanks

Snot Box
4th Jun 2004, 08:12
I have heard yes and no questions from my friends that are currently working at CX and KA. But perhaps best is to call up the avation doctor in HK to find out the truth?

Good Luck!