PDA

View Full Version : Collective Class 1/2 revalidation examination

Obs cop
19th May 2004, 07:38
I'm currently ploughing through my ATPL distance learning studies, but my class 1 runs out in June. Whilst a class 1 automatically gives the priviledges of a class 2 I just want to clarify something that could save me a small amount of dosh.

Class 1 needs annual renewal at my age but class 2 is valid for 2 years (30 this year).

Does this mean that I can let my class 1 lapse and continue to fly using a class 2 medical (hours building and not yet commercial). Once that expires in June next year, I should need my class 1 and can renew that then.

Is this okay, illegal or just generally frowned upon.

Obs cop

Whirlybird
19th May 2004, 08:04
It's OK. :ok:

I did it a couple of times...got an initial Class 1 to make sure I could, let it lapse while doing CPL ground exams and course, got it back to apply for the CPL, let it lapse while hour building, got it back to get FI rating and job. No problem at all...except my AME got confused because he had to sort out dates when everything needed testing again. But yes, it's fine.

Mark 1
19th May 2004, 12:35
I posted this for someone just down the page last week.

Renewal criteria can be found at - http://www.jaa.nl/section1/jars/435247.pdf

in appendix 1 to 3.105.

Its OK if you don't leave it too long, but after 5 years it gets a bit more messy.

mad_jock
20th May 2004, 17:42
It might be cost effectve to renew it at age 29.

After you are 30 the limits on the ECG decrease to I think 2 years. Before 30 it was every 5 years.

So if you get the ECG done at 29 its valid until you are 34. Thus missing out 1 ECG.

By luck more than judgment this happened to me and the AME refuses to give me a ECG until 34.

MJ

Obs cop
21st May 2004, 13:13
Sadly MJ I am already 30.

But happily, I had an ECG last year.:E

I was just hoping to let my class 1 lapse for a year and run with it as a class 2 for the second year, renewing next year.

Thanks

Obs cop

mad_jock
21st May 2004, 13:41
No probs then m8 I only renewed mine to get the CPL issued. You don't even need a class 2 to do the CPL/IR. You just need a class 1 for issue.

MJ

Zob La Mouche
25th May 2004, 16:45
Hi!

I hold a valid JAR Class 1 medical issued in a "mutually recognised JAA state" and I would like to begin the process with the CAA to hold a UK JAR Class 1.

Thanks to the pdf file available on the CAA website, I figured that I will need to take a "Class 1 revalidation" at UK AMC in Gatwick.

Here are my questions:

1/ What's the difference between a "revalidation" and a "renewal" examination?

I suppose it's like the same, isn't it?

2/ What are the medical tests? I guess there is no EEG nor the chest X-Ray?

I tried to reach the CAA medical advisors but they seemed to get very busy today... Just wanted to know if some guys did that process before ;)

Thank you

flyingdogguitar
5th Jun 2004, 00:57
Hi,
Can anyone tell me, if I've let my class one medical lapse for less than five years (even though I've not flown commercially). When I do the renewal with the AME, do I come under the renewal limits audio/Eyesight (Relaxed)??

Many thanks

Dave