PDA

View Full Version : R22 Crash at Cape Town

clipboard
25th May 2004, 12:58
An instructor and his pupil narrowly escaped serious injury yesterday when they crashed their R22 light helicopter whilst on a training flight east of the Cape Town Airport. The instructor was apparently demonstrating sideways flight and the danger of dynamic rollover, when the accident occurred.

Apparently the helicopter was operated and flown by Base 4 helicopters, and the CAA is investigating.

bladestrap
25th May 2004, 13:06
So the "Flying Eagle" has now become a R22 crash statistic.
Rumour has it that the helicopter was being operated at MAUW at the time of the accident. My experience with R22's are that at the best of times they are not the best of performers at MAUW, even at sea level. Thank goodness no fatalities.

DualDriver
26th May 2004, 08:06
Bladestrap...

First of all, who or what are you referring to as the "Flying Eagle"?

Secondly, as you say. it is a rumour, the aircraft was NOT flown at MAUW.

currawong
26th May 2004, 10:56
Question, what is wrong with MAUW?

Exceeding it I can understand is a problem.

Anyone care to elaborate?

bladestrap
26th May 2004, 15:43
Dual Driver.......you're asking some questions here! Remember this is a rumour network and the info posted here may not always be factual.

I do however, get the impression, that you were the instructor involved in this particular accident.........So why so defensive? Forest Gump said Sh1t happens, and now its happened to you. Unfortunate but a reality. 's a pity, cause now we all know who you are. Mr. A right????

Longdrop
26th May 2004, 15:52
Hell, anything less than MAUW is a waste !!! Any good pilot would agree that this sort of training is priceless !!! :}

I apologize that might have come across as insensitive, sorry the guys wiped…..but training at MAUW is important.

DualDriver
27th May 2004, 07:24
Bladestrap

I was just saying that it was not MAUW, and sorry to inform you that it was not me in the accident. I know the instructor that was, and just corrected you and the rumour. Just chill. :ok: