PDA

View Full Version : Plane Rolls Off Nelson Runway

Emperor Palpatine
25th May 2004, 10:24
Plane Rolls Off Nelson Runway
25/05/2004 07:46 PM
NewstalkZB

'Air New Zealand is using a replacement plane to ease the load after an aircraft carrying 32 passengers rolled off the runway at Nelson Airport Monday night.

This morning's flights are running as usual but two are cancelled this afternoon, and passengers have been rebooked.

Although there is no visible damage to the aircraft, safety checks are being carried out to ensure it is OK to fly'

Anyone know more about this?

Cloud Cutter
25th May 2004, 20:43
Apparently a MC ATR cut the corner causing one of the mains to sink into the soft grass.

ZK-NSN
26th May 2004, 05:55
was taxiing onto the stand at NSN and for some reason taxied onto the grass. He got a fair distance in because he got the nose and at least the l/h main a good distance in. Blocked the taxiway until about 4am after they dug the wheels clear and towed it out.

No major deal except a few red faces on the flightdeck :eek: :confused: :\ . a/c went up on jacks for a few checks and was ready to go tuesday morning.

slamer
26th May 2004, 22:55
I remember a similar incident outside the Airwork Hanger at Ardmore a few years ago, the HS748 ended up with the RH wing less than a meter from the ground.......maybe they need some off-road tyres fitted?

Woodend1
27th May 2004, 00:37
could have been 2 for 2 at CH this morning when the Saab got stranded on a taxiway in the FG. Apparently they were guided in by a truck

Eurocap
27th May 2004, 08:52
Its all very well to slag the incident but don't you think that this is an indicator of the conditions of our regional airports in NZ, poor taxiway markings, bad lighting for night use and mixed with wet surfaces, impossible to see.

Nelson is one of a number of regional airports where markings could be improved, Palmerston North, Invercargill, Hamilton spring to mind with similar problems.

Invercargill, Palmerston North, Nelson (apart from the centre taxiway) have no taxiway lighting.

It is time that the local airport authorities invested some of the exorbitant fees they collect into making there airports safer.
:sad: :{ :*

belowMDA
27th May 2004, 10:02
Euro I really have to agree with you there. Some centreline lights would go a long way on those wet nights. Even Auckland is diabolical unless you are several metres off the ground!!

chicken6
1st Jun 2004, 04:18
Eurocap

The wheel marks were in between the taxiway edge lights. Was a pretty drizzly night though, could have been confused because they were looking towards the carpark in drizzle at night with wet tarmac etc.

Eurocap
1st Jun 2004, 07:10
One of the problems that are around our airports are poor and faded taxiway markings which are difficult if not impossible to follow on wet drizzely nights. Its these sort of problems that I was referring to as an indicator of conditions at our regional airports that aren't that expensive to fix, probably cheaper than the cost of the incident to the Mount Cook ATR when loss of revenue, ferrying cost and maintenance and inspection costs are added together.

ZK-NSN
2nd Jun 2004, 02:44
Have to agree about the state of some airports lighting (especially Nelson) but the capt must have been asleep when he was taxiing, he got a the mains as well as the nose gear in the mud, if the lighting is poor taxy slowly. Mt Cook are in NSN just about every night and from looking at it they are generally parked on the same gate everytime. Hopefully Mt Cook get up the airport company about it. :ok:

Another case of :mad: happening.

MeatHunter
2nd Jun 2004, 08:26
Eurocap

You are dead right mate. The taxiway markings at NS are hard enough to follow in 8/8 blue let alone a wet night. Perhaps the airport company could repaint the taxiway markings when they can afford it.

Eurocap
2nd Jun 2004, 08:55
The issues of taxiway markings are not new. They have been around for a long time but this incident highlights the problems.

Recently there were some tarmac markings painted over new seal at PM but did the airport company spend more money ensuring the rest of the taxiway markings were up to standard. No way and now you lose sight of the markings pretty much as soon as you leave the new seal and that is on a dry day during daylight hours. It could be that PM could be the next place to have a taxiing incident on a wet and drizzly night.

At Christchurch it is extremely difficult to see taxiway lines to gates especially when it is wet at night. The main taxiways have centre-line lighting so that is not an issue.

:{ :sad: :ugh:

Yankee_Doodle_Floppy_Disk
17th Jun 2004, 22:39
Maybe somebody should complain to the companies concerned. If you think it has the potential to affect safety, you are obliged to bring it to the attention of CAA.

If you think that is a bit extreme, you could have your Ops Manager talk to the airport company.

Eurocap
18th Jun 2004, 04:50
I believe the issues are already being looked at by a number of forums. Here's hoping action will be taken.
:ok: :ok:

OverRun
18th Jun 2004, 13:49
There is another, less conventional solution, and that is to lay down a heap of cats-eyes [aka raised reflective markers] to delineate the edge of the areas. Use the powered lights for the formal lighting [=meet the ICAO standard] and then supplement them with a heap of catseyes as edge markings. The roads chaps do it for drizzly nights, so why shouldn't we.

I once had to light up a remote taxiway/apron complex without the benefit of the $$ to stick in power. I picked up a load of blue catseyes left over from a Malaysian Airforce order, and used them. When the aircraft taxied in with its landing lights on, the whole thing lit up like a Christmas tree. Cost about $1 per catseye. Call it $400 to transfom the airport.

Eurocap
18th Jun 2004, 21:49
One of the problems with the reflective capability of cats eyes is that the reflection tends to send lightwaves back in the confined direction from the source of light, back to the light source.

It works well if your eyes are situated back behind the light source in the general direction of the reflection, as in most vehicles.

If, as in most aircraft taxi lighting systems, the light source is way below where your eyes are the general reflection is not as good and sometimes impossible to see.

Light aircraft do not seem to have this problem as much as the light source is close to the pilot. I think Dash 8 100's also have the taxilight on top of nose pointing down in front of the aircraft which allows the reflected beam to be pointed at the pilot.

Having said that, it is always worth giving any idea a chance to see if it works.

Jack Sprat
18th Jun 2004, 23:11
Euro - I operate with aviations version of ducks disease and I can confirm that with taxi lights out on the wing tip, reflections are non existant. It simply means that I have to use the lit edge of the taxiway for guidance. The taxi light knows exactly where the cats eyes are but I don't. As you say, its safer in aircraft with taxi lights in front of you.