PDA

View Full Version : Where did all these crappily dubbed adverts come from?

Co ordination unaffected
8th Jul 2001, 21:22
Bloody immac warm wax with aquasystem I ask you. And what about that beaver in the sailing dinghy? Surely there are some people who need shot? :mad: :mad: :mad: uck

Tartan Gannet
8th Jul 2001, 21:40
Not the worst. What about that moronic "potato, potato" in a Scottish voice or the thankfully now finished , Budweiser "What's up" and what about the hated PMT Screech of the "Bodyform for you" ST advert :mad:

Tinstaafl
9th Jul 2001, 16:33
I couln't stand those moronic 'wassup' ads either - except for when Louie the chameleon (sp?) did it.

I love the chameleon ads. Wish I could get a copy of them all...

All those ads that try to sell me something based on my supposed sporting interests leave me cold too eg. those ads on in the UK at the moment using a soccer/football enthusiast as the 'hook'.

Ditto those ads that use some well known sportsman as the hook. WTF would a footballer, cricketer or tennis player know about cars or toothpaste or whatever? Unless s/he has a degree in automobile engineering, dentistry or appropriate field.

[ 09 July 2001: Message edited by: Tinstaafl ]

Tartan Gannet
9th Jul 2001, 23:27
Yes I dont like that advert with the woman in the bed and the bloke with the minature footballer egging him on. Its just another example of the dumbing down of adverts and television in general. On the Budweiser ads, the Frogs and the Chameleon were funny, the blokes phoning each other were not in my opinion.

On the credit side I love the Dancing Cat in the Bacardi Breezer Adverts and that in the Ford Mondeo ad.

swashplate
10th Jul 2001, 11:58
Adverts....hmmmmmmm.........

We can all debate wether we like 'em or not...............

........BUT are any of us more likley to buy the product.......??????

Eric
10th Jul 2001, 13:22
Swash,
If an advert annoys me I'll go out of my way to make damn sure I don't buy the product.

Tinstaafl
10th Jul 2001, 18:27
I'm the same. If an ad treats me like a moron, or substitutes gimmicks for useable information about the product, then the ad company just guaranteed a lost sale.

To me, ads can be a useful source of information viz here's a new product, here's what it can do, here's what it won't do etc.

The ads for the outdoors woodstain is a good example. No crap, they just say what the product does.

But this bullsh!t about using a famous person to promote something about which they're not an expert, or making dubious claims eg "xxxx breakfast cereal - because it may help your heart...", or using annoyance tactics to force product awareness etc etc is the fastest way I know to make me buy a competing product.

WeatherJinx
10th Jul 2001, 19:22
To come back to the topic, the 'dubbed' ads are moneysaving, 'one-size-fits-all' ads, usually done by American agencies, unwilling or unable to spend on localisation costs (we Brits are notoriously difficult to sell to;if the money is there the best thing to do is to syndicate a separate ad to a local agency)

So we end up with overdubbing and lipsynch - and usually a turned-off audience. The resulting ads are usually devoid of any of the humour, irony or expensive production values which we seem to like in this country.

They mostly seem to be for cosmetics/hair products...

Ooooooooooh!!!! Bodyform! Nice.

WxJx ;-)

I'd rather
10th Jul 2001, 19:41
I think the Colgate herbal ad (aforesaid beaver in dinghy) is in a class of its own. Total mystification in the I'd Rather household when that one comes on. WTF???

Arhedis_Varkenjaab
10th Jul 2001, 19:59
It’s all in the marketing!! :o

Point being that both extremely annoying and clever ads are the ones that tend to ‘stay’ with you the longest.

Am I the only person that found an advert extremely irritating but because I still remembered it when I saw the product in the supermarket shelf still bought it just to try?? :confused: :eek:

Coming back to the subject, WeatherJinx I agree with you! If they can’t be bothered to spend some extra dosh on advertising why to they expect the consumers to spend their money on buying the product? Don’t see the logic in it!

However, lipsynch??? :eek: Hey, maybe my ear-eye coordination isn’t very good but to me it sounds like “..blah..” while the lips carry on to say “..blah blah blah blah blah..” (or the other way around depending on the country of origin :D )

Maybe it’s just me…again! :D

[Grrrr...UBB Code]

[ 10 July 2001: Message edited by: Arhedis_Varkenjaab ]

swashplate
11th Jul 2001, 16:36
Tackiest ad has to be the ferreo rocher ad.

'The ambasadors reception'..... :rolleyes:

Wars have started on less.... :D :D :D :D

Gash Handlin
11th Jul 2001, 22:14
Has anyone sussed out that ridiculous one with the little girl in the middle of the amphitheatre, asking about the bit of skin under her nose (a filtrum apparently) I've never been able to get to the end of it and find out what it's about, complete waste of time :confused: :confused:

Send Clowns
12th Jul 2001, 00:25
Not seen it, Gash, is it for Coke? :eek:

Eric
12th Jul 2001, 04:11
Clowns,
Yes, it's Daniella Westbrook asking whether the bit of skin under her nose should be actually hanging, or should it be separating her nostrils :p

traveler
12th Jul 2001, 20:14
WWAAAZZZZZZUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D

Tartan Gannet
12th Jul 2001, 20:45
I really feel that TV adverts started to go down the pan when the "repeater" advert started. That is the type where the main part of the ad is screened say at the start of the intermission then a shorter repeater is shown again at the end. The first of these I can remember was for a rather heavy bloke advertising some mouthwash or toothpaste, ( I have forgotten which one it was), and he kept popping up in the interval saying "Still working!" Needless to say I did NOT buy the product as the ad annoyed me so much. I make that a general principle, if I hate the ad I wont buy the product unless there is no realistic choice.

I try to avoid ads on TV and either go to "restore my personal comforts" when they are on or mute the sound. I DO have to say I will generally watch any advert featuring a cat as the hero and will be favourably disposed towards that product or service, eg the Bacardi advert. I generally dislike adverts with kids particularly smart assed kids.

Some adverts of course are too clever by half. About 10 years or so ago when I was in the Accountancy side of life I got a phone call from an agency asking if I had seen an advert for one of the Big Four Banks in the UK which used Star Trek as a theme. I could answer all the questions about the ad and as a Trekie I did like it but when they asked which bank it was for I honestly hadnt a clue? The advert had been too clever and the Bank who's services were being advertised was lost by the impact of the advert itself.

Anyone else recall an advert, apart from the famous "You're never alone with a Strand", where it missed the target?

Finally, I consider ALL Government (whatever party in office), adverts as Propaganda and ignore the line they are pushing or take the opposite stance, (unless illegal).

[ 12 July 2001: Message edited by: Tartan Gannet ]

JetAgeHobo
13th Jul 2001, 00:44
I'm trying to remember what company is advertising What with this ad out now with singing bellybuttons, navels, or what ever. Best part of the ad is when they show this kid about 10 or 11 watching all these women go by with the singing navels and looking like "What the hell?"

I'm too distracted by the navels.