PDA

View Full Version : Navaids in Kenya

kq777
25th May 2004, 05:22
Does anyone flying in Kenya know the situation regarding navaids and ATC. The article below does paint a good picture.
Kenya risks ban over ageing aviation kit (http://www.eastandard.net/financialstandard/news/news25050402.htm)

Is the Kenyan airspace safe ?

B Sousa
25th May 2004, 11:49
Biggest Navaid in Kenya....Mt Kenya (VFR Only) Make sure the numbers on your altimeter are greater than the height of the mountain (IFR)

Kalium Chloride
29th May 2004, 15:51
Met the Kenyan transport minister in Nairobi a few days back just as he was about to tell Parliament that all the navaids were, in spite of the press comments, perfectly safe.

Same comment came from the KCAA the same day.

Reassured? ;)

tabdy
31st May 2004, 20:38
When I left Kenya in June 2002 Navaid reliability was not good. Neither was VHF Communication outside the Nairobi area. I have not heard that anything has improved since.

Ensure you have a good GPS and topographical map and you should survive and enjoy the experience!

Chuck Ellsworth
31st May 2004, 20:58
AAhhh yes.

Narobi and their state of the art nav and comm system.

Funny I had to pay a " fine " of $150.00 to the ATC guys in the radar room because they did not receive any of my transmissions until I was about fifty miles out..........strange that the radios worked perfect after I got out of Africa.

Chuck