PDA

View Full Version : RAF Pilot Competition

JimboUK2004
24th May 2004, 18:23
Evening,

I'm wondering just how competitive it is to become a pilot in the RAF?

Any general ideas or comments? I havent got the foggiest. I do know that the testing process is rigorous.

I am actually beginning the process next month. I obviously have to do all the medicals but luckily I dont experience (or haven't done) any health problems that would stop me entering as a pilot. Eyes ok, no hayfever/asthma....bla bla... so Im gona go 4 it.

Anyone know how long the process takes from start to finish too?

MobiusTrip
24th May 2004, 19:32
"Mr Sulu - raise shields..........."

JimboUK2004
24th May 2004, 22:01
Cheers mate for your helpful advice, I couldn't have coped without it, u truely are an inspiration to all who ask! Cheers:\

Wholigan
24th May 2004, 22:07
OK, apart from saying that one of the character traits that is looked for by the recruiting staffs is initiative - not entirely demonstrated here by the way - you could try these:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/

http://www.rafcareers.com/index.cfm?flash=go

http://www.armedforces.co.uk/raf/listings/l0018.html

J.A.F.O.
24th May 2004, 22:14
Sorry, don't have any advice, just looked in to see what you had to do to win one.

JimboUK2004
24th May 2004, 22:17
Oh thanks very much smart arse. You hardly have initiative yourself if you cant express a f**king opinion using personal knowledge and experiences.

There's always one!

:mad:

Sashathehungry
24th May 2004, 22:45
JimboUK, perhaps if you do a search on this forum for similar topics (there have been many) then you will find the information you are looking for.

You will also find out how to ask a civilised question and respond to light hearted/good advice in a mature manner :( . It has clearly occurred to those who have already posted that for a person about to take the first step, you seem to know absolutely nothing. They are just suggesting you should have a better impression of what you are letting yourself in for.

Oh, and lighten up if you want some advice here ;)

Hungry

Right Stuff
24th May 2004, 23:22
Q1 : Very.
Q2 : Generally try applying.
Q3 : Have no pocket lint at time of writing, will get back to you.

Wholigan
25th May 2004, 05:17
OK then Jimbo. If - as it appears - you wish to enter a butt-kicking competition, then bring it on! However, before you do, think about:

Point 1
Any general ideas or comments?
The links I posted are full of general ideas and comments.

Point 2
I havent got the foggiest.
As this phrase indicates that you really are totally unknowledgable (please note that I did not use the word ignorant here) about the RAF, I believed that the links would help you to find some more information. They would have!

Point 3
... luckily I dont experience (or haven't done) any health problems that would stop me entering as a pilot.
You sure you don't have a blood pressure problem??:E

Point 4
You will find that the majority of people in here will do their level best to be helpful to folks who show an interest in joining the RAF. However, you will also find that many people will indulge in some light-hearted ribbing if you appear to leave yourself open to it. It's called "banter" and is a part of our life. Get used to it!!!

You will also find that people cease to be helpful if you come back in response to such banter or attempted helpfulness with genuine aggression, and/or also display a lack of a sense of humour.

"Oh thanks very much smart arse. You hardly have initiative yourself if you cant express a f**king opinion using personal knowledge and experiences.

There's always one!"

Now then, shall we start again? Did you - in fact - want personal opinions and experiences? If so then Sasha's advice above is sound. There have been many threads in here about the processes and requirements and time-scales involved in becoming a Royal Air Force pilot. The search facility in PPRuNe is a helpful tool (unlike you!) ---- and THAT'S banter!:E

Biggus
25th May 2004, 05:24
JimboUK2004

With the current attitude you are displaying don't bother trying, you won't get past the first hurdle! That is not banter, that is sound advice!!!

Pontius Navigator
25th May 2004, 05:37
Biggus,
One of the problems faced by a well trained and highly skilled professional is that they can assess a student in a few minutes. Having decided that the student is a no hoper then have to spend the next few months proving it.

I just hope our young man (I don't think the other sex can be as sacrky) follows your advice.

I see Jimbo made 28 posts before this one started. Wonder what pearls are out there?

The Swinging Monkey
25th May 2004, 06:01
Jimbo,

In my very humble opinion, you are wasting your time old chap.
The first rule of ALL aircrew is to be able to take a good deal of pi$$ taking.

Clearly from your replies, you are not able to do this, and therefore I would give you about 3 hrs at Cranwell before you wilt and die!

Take yourself away, get a life, have a chat with some aircrew and watch how they interact, and then you will see what I and others on this forum are referring to.

Kind regards
The Swinging Monkey
Caruthers, a large one please!

Pontius Navigator
25th May 2004, 06:04
Jim lad reveals much about himself. What a funny fellow. Only 23 too with a B Eng and an MSc. I am not sure whether there is a cockpit or approach room that is big enough for him, or a bone dome either. I quote:

Holy Cow - anything seems to go on these forums - brilliant!

First of all - Hay Ewe, that made me laugh,

The Logair Expert-U even get to land on a beach on the outer hebrides - beat that! I lived up in the outer hebs for 10yrs and Logan air lands at Benbecula airport (the old military airport - so u may get to see some hercules and fast jets) plus the beach u land on is to the South, can't remember the name now! Cool, diversity and stories to tell in the bar, errrm, obviously drinking cokes!

The ATC Expert-Check out nats recruitment site, gives u full requirements nats recruitments site
If u can't be ars*d clicking on the link then u need 5GCSEs at grade C or above, and the equivalent of 2 A-levels. U pretty much need the same for a degree too! I just finished my BEng degree and u needed 5 GCSEs (as usual) and 3 A-levels of BBC! ****! U prob know all this anyway!

Have fun my young padiwan.

The Comic - The reason I ask is because I had my assessment centre on the 12th March this year and there were lots of rumours 'flying' about (see what I did there -"flying" about), sorry, the comedian side of me trying to get out again....

The Aviator - Good on ya man! Get it out, start small by telling yer fellow aviation mates on PPRUNE, then move onto your friends, then get your mam and dad sat down at the table and just 'let it out'. You've got nothing to be ashamed of, its widely accepted in today's communities - you will be fine.

The Psycologist - Finish degree - and make the most of 4,5,6. If I were u, and I know I aint, but if I were u! Then I'd go travelling old chap - u only live once, and its not every day you get the chance to head of into the sunset. Do some volunteer work abroad for a couple of months....
Thats what Im doing anyway, cos I have to complete my MSc - ****!

Ok here we go chrisf.... I've got it!

Finish your degree - obviously, gee-wis! Anyway, consume copious amounts of alcohol on the way along to keep u sain, carry on working at dead end retail store, every time u see those people that relish their shelve stacking career then just think, "it wont be for long and I'll be outta here".....anyway, u need the job to fund your alcoholism...... So, that should all be finished for summer I guess?

....... As for Aviation experience, then organise your trip, and when thats done and dusted, organise some visits/looks around overe there and see how they do it?

Hey, oh I've got it now! Pester the right people (dont know who) and see if u can get a one way trip somwhere, cockpit experience..... Oh I dunno, just make the most of it. Next break like that will be when u retire, unless u screw up college, positive arent I!!!!!!

Im off travellin soon, im in same situation as u! ISH!

well, I'm no plane spotter and I always find parrot fashion learning NOT FUN!

<<Then I got BORED!>>

ChristopherRobin
25th May 2004, 07:35
this is the funniest thread I've seen in a long time! Jimbo, I have no doubt you will now not join the RAF because you probably think they're all a bunch of misanthropic bastards, (but you're not the problem of course) so if I may offer a piece of advice?

Please don't try and join the Army Air Corps either.

Actually that's a bit harsh. I think you'll find that there are many parts of the Army that would welcome your self-effacing humour, lack of self-regard and insensitivity to mild banter. So why not try the Parachute Regiment?

I bet in a few years time you'll be a civil-servant who tells people "yeah I was going to join the Air Force/Army/Navy, but I was too bright actually..."

I run into people like that on an amusingly regular basis, and now I will walk away from them with my customary warm feeling thinking..."I wonder if that was Jimbo?"

Incidentally I know you are far more qualified than me (I don't have a degree, or even 3 A-levels like you), but just in case you need me to explain any of the larger words I've used such as "parachute" or any of those strange marks around some words which I call "punctuation" then just get back to me and I'll help you review your posts for you, ok?

stillin1
25th May 2004, 08:13
jimbo

You muppet.

As I have said b4 this IS the wrong forum to start picking a fight on mate! (take a wild guess wot we do)

read all the above replies and learn.

You must realise by now that your origional post was just plain dumb. The RAF would not employ a guard-dog that showed as little preperation as you did. The petulant later responses perhaps show that a little more maturity and self control could be an asset in persuing your "goal".

Take a deep breath, start again and start doing some WORK to be the best.

(Pilot in general chaps!!! ~ although the RAF does of course have the market cornered :cool: )

Mr C Hinecap
25th May 2004, 12:22
Come on, chaps! Give the guy a break and let us help him towards his chance at OASC.

Well - it is all videoed there and there MUST be OASC staff that read this?! Heh heh heh :E

FFP
25th May 2004, 15:39
As an RAF Pilot I think I'll keep my advice for someone I'd actually want to serve with.

Other guys come on here and get some good advice, the likes of which you'd never get at any AFCO.

Competition is very fierce. As long as the Mil Aircrew guys from PPRuNe give you all the little gotchas you'll be fine :ok:

JimboUK2004
25th May 2004, 18:05
Well, sorry for upsetting you people, it was the first time I had used this forum and I admit I 'bit'. :hmm:

Looks like I totally got the piss ripped out of me! My own fault i guess..... as for Pontius Navigator - well lots of doors have flung open recently and Im exploring thats all!!!

Yes I posted a dumb post and I should have known better, I should have researched more on this forum 1st....but anyway, I fell victim to temptation! Bugger! I posted a topic that was aimed at getting all the work done for me and I hoped there would be some info that would be new! Intuition went out of the window at this point.... never mind I got a varied and interesting reply.

Sorry anyway people, I have to admit too that I often like to engage in friendly banter, obviously not on this occasion! Well, opinions have been cast and Im buggered If I take all you guy's remarks onboard - so I wont!

:} :}

Feck
25th May 2004, 18:39
Ah, that's better, peace and quiet.

R E Darse
25th May 2004, 19:26
This must be a trick post. No one can be this disdainful and stressed out and not already be in the MOD.

Maybe a swift course in anger management before OASC?? Just a suggestion.

:*

JimboUK2004
25th May 2004, 19:46
:E I dont get angry:E :-)

hhmmmmmm.... probably didnt help being up all night Sunday finishing off my project I handed in yesterday! Certainly got my pay back didnt I - big style! I should be a nervous wreck after all that! Fairly funny though!

L J R
25th May 2004, 19:58
Jimbo,

Are you rerading between the line on all of these responses.?

There is a lot more to being in the military - especially at the 'pointy end' than just what you see in Hollywood - or Channel 4 for that matter.

Pontius Navigator
25th May 2004, 22:01
Jimbo,

Are you learning?

<<Sorry anyway people, I have to admit too that I often like to engage in friendly banter, obviously not on this occasion! Well, opinions have been cast and Im buggered If I take all you guy's remarks onboard - so I wont!>>

-Im buggered If I take all you guy's remarks onboard-

=I'm buggered if I take all you guy's remarks on board=

*I am not too disheartened by all your 'flaming' for my insensitive remarks, but I will learn=

mmmmmm

Jimbo, by your own admission you are a 23 yr old self-opinionated, over-confident, male who takes pride in drinking too much.

You may be a 23 year old self-opinionated, self-confident male who drinks too much WHEN you are a combat ready fighter pilot.
I was almost all of those things when I was 21 (I am a navigator) and was qualified to kill people with thermonuclear weapons with scarcely a thought. The only thought I had was why they only let me have one.

We had a chap like you on our selection panel. He lasted two days. I often wonder what happened to him. "Shaft me pink" was the height of his sohpisticated banter.

Jimbo a final piece of advice. You have two ears and one mouth. Try time sharing equally between all organs.

JimboUK2004
25th May 2004, 22:45
hey cheers mate, well although I've been subject to abuse and what people call 'banter', I found it all fairly funny.

And to all you quoters... The Spelling mistakes, previous threads, over confidence, lack of initiative, being dumb, "would last 3hrs at Cranwell"... well people, and all you that judged me - CHEERS, you dont even know me!! You provided amusing replies for viewers and alike. I look forward to further abuse from no-it-alls and judgers - hey thats me isnt it!!

I'll leave it at that I think, all the best to you all.... look forward to retaliation, mmmmm, is that spelt right? Do I care? Do I f**k.

:}

....Pontius Navigator. Quoting is really gay. Get a life sh*t for brains.

OK Jimbo ... if you're a troll, you win, we bit! However, I suspect that you are for real. Therefore, you need to learn some basic manners; banter is OK but outright personal abuse is not tolerated anywhere on PPRuNe. You are - therefore - not welcome here any more and will no longer have access to this forum. Goodbye! Love from --- Wholigan

Archimedes
25th May 2004, 23:33
Right Jimbo (or should that be Dimbo?),

Either you're a troll trying to wind people up for your own amusement (since it isn't working with anyone else) and have carried out a successful fishing expedition;

or

you are what you claim to be, someone who wants to join the RAF.

If the latter:

Fair enough. Get to OASC/Cranditz/aircrew trg and see how well your little attitude problem goes down there. The words 'Not' , 'Very', 'Out', 'on' and 'ar$e' spring to mind.

Until you provide proof positive to the contrary, I and others are left to conclude that Pontius is ten times the person you're ever going to be.

Feel free to retaliate, but I'm afraid I don't really enjoy engaging in a battle of wits with someone who'd need watering twice a day if their IQ were any lower.

If the former:

Your bait needs changing. It's getting a little stale. :hmm: