PDA

View Full Version : Converting SA CPL/IR to JAA CPL/IR

flying paddy
24th May 2004, 09:46
I wonder if there is anyone out there that has any advice /pitfalls regarding the completion of a South Africain CPL/IR and the conversion to JAA. If anyone has done so please could you give me any advice.
Kind regards
Flying Paddy

PPRuNe Towers
24th May 2004, 20:57
Are you sure it is just a JAA CPL that you want?

Would an ATPL figure in your future plans?

Rob

24th May 2004, 21:39
As it's not part of the JAA, I presume you'd have to go through the whole process of the writtens and the IR and CPL flight tests.

I'm sure your hours will count towards the licence issue, but there's no easy way around getting a JAA licence, otherwise everyone would be heading out to sunny SA for cheap commercial licences.

flapsnslats
25th May 2004, 22:26
Flying paddy.
Have you got the licence or are you in the process?
Be very careful with southafrican training.Your Going into shark infeseted waters.I know for a fact you cant convert the licence in such an easy manner.Also the uk requirements are slightly different to the Irish ones which I have discovered.Your saa multi ir is useless.You would have to go through the minimum required hrs at an approved fto in a jaa state regardless.An icao ppl and solo hrs are accepted.If you had a S.a
cpl and a job offer in a jaa state. then you might be offered a temporary licence with a period of time to convert.I have come across australian pilots and a south african pilot in that situation.But they were very experienced pilots in the first place.Beware also that alleged jaa approved schools in florida and south africa are approved by the uk caa only and not the Irish aviation authority.You would have to sit all the atpl subjects in the country that you choose to finish you training.
I dont know what you are up to so I am just trying to bump a few ideas around in your head.
Plus if it was your intention to work in south africa you are up against big barriers.Having been there,(and I am open to being contradicted)but the only way to get a start in south africa as a foreignor is to possibly work as an instructor for the school your involved with.South africa is loaded down with pilots from ppl to atpl.There is a huge pool of pilots because flying training in south africa is slightly more accessable to the average person.You have to prove to the immigration department that you are of benefit to the country and their is know southafrican available at that particular time for the job.There are a lot of little intricacies and pit falls.Also the quickest way to become a citizen is to marry a local girl I have seen guys do this which I thought was stooping a bit low.But on further enquiring about the situation.These guys had sold up left england for sunny south africa and a life of flying which turned out to be a nightmare and had the choice of going home and back to work or take desperate measures to stay in south africa.
Im sure other people will pick up on what I say.