PDA

View Full Version : SpyBot S&D not updating ?

SeldomFixit
24th May 2004, 07:50
Have not had an update for SpyBot S&D for ages. Any clues as to whether support has ceased or is the latest, still the greatest ?
Excellent piece of kit IMHO.

Evo
24th May 2004, 07:56
I believe they have been working on a 1.3 version - see here (http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=news&detail=2004-05-17)

Edit: they have, and it does include updates to the database.

timmcat
24th May 2004, 10:25
Just (last week) updated to the 1.3 version, no probs so far. I'm not sure if it was available in earlier versions, but the 'stealth mode' works a treat. Picks up nasties as they try and plant themselves on your system and prompts you if anything tries to make a sneaky registry change.

The guy who invented this piece of kit missed out big time - he could have (and perhaps still could) made a fortune.

Evo
24th May 2004, 10:30
Spybot-S&D has long grown a full-time job for me and causes quite a lot of work for our volunteers. I'm working hard and it's great fun to do it. Of course all the infrastructure we use causes costs, and I've got to live on something, but at the same time I believe in free software. Therefore I decided to keep Spybot-S&D free and give you the freedom to decide if and how much it is worth to you.

If you can spare a few bucks, please donate to our cause. This is purely voluntary though - if you do not donate, you won't get less support from us.

Fletchers Left Boot
24th May 2004, 19:53
On a slightly different note - I have read somewhere that Spybot doesnt work very well if you have the Google toolbar installed.

1. Is this true, and

2. Is it possible to disable Google to run Spybot, or is it better to uninstall it?

FLB

Evo
24th May 2004, 20:16
I use both. Haven't seen any problems.

SeldomFixit
24th May 2004, 22:47
Lubbly Jubbly - thanks EVO et al. Done and Done. The question now is - "Tea Timer " ?
During the d/load there was a reference that it would be explained in the FAQ to come. During the install there was a checkbox option I left unchecked, for now. I haven't as yet found any info on the function. Any clues please ?

:hmm:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
25th May 2004, 01:23
Fletchers Left Boot,

Why are you using the Google Toolbar?

If you are getting a lot of popups, there might be something else going on with your computer.

Take Care,

Richard

SeldomFixit
27th May 2004, 09:25
Patience is indeed a virtue. Today's update is a help file entry for tea timer. It won't d/l however due to a checksum error. Time to be patient again....................... :)

Arkroyal
28th May 2004, 23:15
This piece of kit is brilliant. Had same prob as Seldom with Tea time thingy, but just downloaded it successfully. Now I just wonder what the hell it is:confused:

What's the stealth mode, timmcat?

mazzy1026
1st Jun 2004, 12:51
There is a detection rules update available from today guys :ok:

I havent had any problems using googlebar and spybot together.

Maz

Evo
1st Jun 2004, 13:01
Had same prob as Seldom with Tea time thingy, but just downloaded it successfully. Now I just wonder what the hell it is

My copy of 1.3 just tried to download "English help file for TeaTimer add on" but it failed with a checksum error, so i'm still not quite sure :O

The only thing the website says is

an important part is named TeaTimer (explanation of that name will follow in the FAQ), which is the new on-access protection part of Spybot-S&D.

but the FAQ hasn't been updated yet

timmcat
1st Jun 2004, 15:02
My copy of 1.3 just tried to download "English help file for TeaTimer add on" but it failed with a checksum error, so i'm still not quite sure

I got that update OK this weekend, but havent read it yet.

Arkroyal , I suppose I was referring to the teatimer program itself. It works in the background and alerts you when any nasties try and lodge themselves within your PC. :{