PDA

View Full Version : 737 or A320 rating?

Sohmartenson
24th May 2004, 07:47
Trying to land my first job without success I have now decided to take a chance and pay for a rating.
I have 800 hours TT with 510 hours multi engine, FAA and JAA licenses. I live in Europe and I am looking for work worldwide.
Which rating would be favorable?
My first indication is 737 or A320, but I am open to any suggestions....

onehunga
24th May 2004, 16:45
Slightly off thread so am preparing myself to be shot down.....but....If you are coming to the UK there was an interesting article in either last months Flyer or Pilot magazines about a guy who self sponsored himself through a type rating (think it was a 320). Was good to read what was involved and the effort required. The punchline came in the last paragraph where he had no job after months and months had passed since getting the rating. Guess it was down to having the rating but no line experience. Don't most applications require 500 hours or so? Good luck.

Sohmartenson
25th May 2004, 08:45
Line training! I am aware of this problem, but not the magnitude of the problem.
I know if I looking for short term contracts line training is a must.
How big a factor line experience is when applying to airlines I do not know.
From what I have heard self sponsored line training is more expensive than the rating.

onehunga
25th May 2004, 09:03
Notwithstanding the lack actual experience flying the aircraft from what I have read there seems to be some anecdotal evidence that the majority of airlines would prefer to train you their way and not someone elses to their SOP's and so on. Hence if you go through an organisation that has relationships with the smaller low costs and charters etc it would seem you might have a better chance of getting a referral for a sim check etc. Or apply direct to Ryanair and pay them the money and have a job at the end subject to passing the course.

sullyd
25th May 2004, 14:24
Last week i heard of a guy who is getting himself 500 hours expierience on a 737-300/700 with my airline.
We offer the type rating for about £23k, with 100 hours line training, about 8-12 flying days,
But i have heard off of a good source that its about £6k for an extra 100 hours. Oh to have money, im cabin crew pursuing my atpl so i dont know all the info.