PDA

View Full Version : Engineers Advertise Aircraft Safety Concerns.

lame
24th May 2004, 07:16
Engineers advertise aircraft safety concerns

ABC Online
Sunday, 23 May 2004

Aircraft engineers have ramped up their safety campaign concerning Australia's new low-cost carrier Jetstar.

The Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association has taken out newspaper advertisements in Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne today.

Association federal secretary David Kemp says the public should be aware that Jetstar is taking shortcuts by not using engineers to do pre-flight safety inspections.

"Our concern is in Australia we have one of the highest safety standards in the world for aviation and we believe this is a safety shortcut," he said.

"I wouldn't say it's unsafe [but] we believe it's operating at a standard lower than the other operators in the Australian industry."

Capt Fathom
24th May 2004, 07:22
Website (http://www.jetsafe.com.au)

lame
24th May 2004, 07:24
Turbulent debut for Jetstar

The Courier Mail
24may04

TRAVELLERS onboard Jetstar's maiden flight tomorrow will be greeted by a billboard warning from aircraft engineers about the importance of pre-flight safety checks.

Jetstar, Qantas' cut-price airline, will make its first passenger flight from Newcastle Airport at 6am (AEST) tomorrow.
The Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association (ALAEA) has hired a mobile billboard which will be driven around the airport's public perimeter roads to promote its JetSafe aviation safety campaign.

ALAEA federal secretary David Kemp said while major airlines required an inspection be carried out by licensed engineers before flights, JetStar has proposed pilots do the checks.

"We don't want to see Australia's world class safety record undermined by the new low-cost airlines and we will be doing all we can to convince them to use the expertise of licensed aircraft maintenance engineers before each and every flight," Mr Kemps said.

Jetstar has said all its safety checks meet stringent safety standards set by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and aircraft manufacturer Boeing.

Cabin crew have been conducting pre-flight safety inspections on Qantas Link flights for the past four years, the airline has said.

404 Titan
24th May 2004, 07:51
Cabin crew have been conducting pre-flight safety inspections on Qantas Link flights for the past four years, the airline has said.
What the...........!:hmm:

lame
24th May 2004, 07:53
I wondered about that. :confused:

However, the Airline said, so it must be true. ;)

Kanga767
24th May 2004, 10:15
"Good morning captain, here is your coffee, by the way, those big black round things? I had a look at them and they still look round...." :p

K

itchybum
24th May 2004, 10:53
I think what they might mean is the hosties "pre-flight" any of the portable fire-extinguishers, emergency exit lights, PBEs, 1st Aid kits, whatever, that are found in the cabin.

In my experience I never heard of any that were taught to check slide pressure guages (simple check - green is GOOD, red is BAD) but hey...

:ugh:

Capt Fathom
24th May 2004, 12:23
...check slide pressure guages..green is GOOD, red is BAD
Unless it's an O2 bottle, in which case, red is GOOD...although the bottle itself is green.
And the Fire Extinguisher, red is GOOD also...but the bottle is mainly yellow, sometimes red!
Good, we're clear with that then.

itchybum
24th May 2004, 13:29
check slide pressure guages....Unless it's an O2 bottle ...in which case it isn't a slide... ;)

Yup I think we're clear now....:ok: