PDA

View Full Version : Not storing cookies in Internet Explorer 6-help please!!

JustAnotherVictim
23rd May 2004, 18:43
Hello

Recently I had to reformat my PC which meant erasing everything and reinstalling from scratch. Ever since doing this I have been unable to store cookies despite having set what I understand to be the required settings in "Tools", "Internet Options", "Privacy".

This is completely bamboozled me and it is extremely annoying having to re-enter my login information everytime I visit a site!!:mad:

I would really appreciate any information as to why this is happening and thank you in advance

Take care

JAV

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd May 2004, 19:31
JustAnotherVictim,

Is your problem associated with PPRuNe not remembering you when you access the site? (Since that is how the owners of PPRuNe intended it function.)

Take Care,

Richard

FJJP
23rd May 2004, 21:51
Interesting post. Richard, come to think of it, I'm experiencing the same problem. It's not just PPrune (I'm aware of the latest policy) but many other sites. Despite ticking the boxes on various site offering to 'remember me', I still find that I have to fully log in each time. And this is a relatively recent (within the last month) change. Is there some bug or other running around stopping cookies? I have checked all the settings I can think of, but to no avail.

I would appreciate you expertise on this one, Richard...

FJJP

BlueEagle
23rd May 2004, 22:04
Have you ticked the boxes to clear, history, cache, cookies, temp. internet files etc. each time you close your browser/shut down? It may be a default option that has reinstated itself and which you need to untick.

FJJP
24th May 2004, 06:18
Blue Eagle, tried to find the box you mentioned without success. Where is it? [W2K & XP]

FJJP

JustAnotherVictim
24th May 2004, 08:17
Hi Richard-thanks for your time.

It's not just PPRuNe that this is applicable to, but every site that requires the storage of a cookie-eg eBay, mail order sites etc...

It sounds like the exact same thing as FJJP is experiencing-I too am ticking all "Remember Me" boxes, but to no avail!

IE is also not storing a history of the websites I am visiting-if I clicked on the arrow to the right of the address bar before this problem I could see a lot of the sites I had previously visited. This is no longer happening.

Regards

JAV

BlueEagle
24th May 2004, 10:26
I'm using XP Pro, so it's Tools>Internet Options and then look at the display and go to 'settings' for History and Temporary Internet Files which includes cookies.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
25th May 2004, 01:06
JustAnotherVictim & FJJP,

First try what BlueEagle suggests and if that does not work, there is a registry hack for turning on the remember and auto fill in for boxes.

Take Care,

Richard

FJJP
27th May 2004, 19:12
Tried everything on W2K and XP but to no avail. Still having to sign in each time; have dumped security down to min to allow all cookies. Clean out of ideas...

FJJP

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th May 2004, 20:15
FJJP,

If you think there could be other problems with your comp, it would be worth doing either a repair or a fresh install of your OS.

It will solve the problem. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

BlueEagle
27th May 2004, 22:52
JAV - are you quite sure you haven't got a little 'clean-up' utility working away in the background? Something like Window Washer or Internet Clean-Up can be configured to run each time you close your browser etc. or close your computer and they will wipe out all trace of your previous browsing experience!
The two I mention are fairly obvious but there are a few unobtrusive ones, (often coupled with other mainstream software), that will do a similar job. Just a thought.

JustAnotherVictim
1st Jun 2004, 18:42
Only two that I can think of could be Norton Internet Security and Google Toolbar...

Stumped!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
1st Jun 2004, 21:43
JustAnotherVictim,

It might be worth trying the repair of your OS with the WinXP CD.

Take Care,

Richard