View Full Version : company medical?

Pilot16
23rd May 2004, 16:23
Im a long way away from applying to any of these carriers but having recently scraped a JAA Class 1 Medical Im left wondering whether my eyesight will be a problem when it comes to going through the recruitment processes of airlines I always wanted to fly for :(

I have heard of 'company medicals' where the airline itself conducts further medical checkups on you. Hence I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the policies are in pilot recruitment in terms of their eyesight requirement for these three eirlines: Emirates, GulfAir and the new Etihad Airways.

Many thanks...

MD11Flyer
23rd May 2004, 16:45
A while back I asked an Emirates 777 captain the same question as I am required to wear glasses (20/30 vision). He said there are many pilots who are hired wearing glasses and there is more and more pilots wearing glasses I guess from staring at the screens. Truth be told, even if you have perfect vision now and you fly in a glass cockpit your vision will slowly deteriorate and depending on your genes it could take a few years or 40 years. Don't let that bug you, by the time you are ready to join these airlines, policies will have changed :ok:

Pilot16
24th May 2004, 08:35
Thank you MD11Flyer for your response :ok:

My vision in my right eye is 20/30 (6/9) and cannot be corrected.
So thats the thing thats been worryin me...

(Altho both eyes its better then 20/20 (6/6) and i dont need glasses.

again many thanks for your reply,
puts me at slight ease I guess ;)