PDA

View Full Version : That 30 second count down thing......

BRL
23rd May 2004, 14:52
Hi all. Was on earlier when that 30 second warning box comes up on the screen. Oh-oh I thought, I have that sasser worm. No problem as just last week I downloaded the fix for it and put it on a cd for my mate who had the worm, so I ran that and it came back the worm was not found. :confused:

I have Norton AV all up to date and run Zone Alarm, neither have picked up anything suspicious. Is there a new one out or something? Anyone know why this could have happened..?
Cheers
Brl.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd May 2004, 15:17
BRL,

There are several viruses that use the same exploit.

I would also run Housecall, Stinger, and get every patch M$ currently has, just to cover all the possibilities.

Take Care,

Ricard

BRL
23rd May 2004, 15:18
On it now, many thanks Richard. :)

OE-LBA
25th May 2004, 20:04
To throw in a new aspect:
This shutdown-feature also works remotely which means that (at least theoretically) anybody can shutdown your PC without any special tool. All he has to do is to know your IP and Password (worse if you even don't have one). But although you have a PW it's not quite difficult to find out. -- okay, I guess this info is not new :D

Tried this with some friends :rolleyes: and worked perfectly in 99% ...

BRL
25th May 2004, 21:36
Done a virus scan and it came up with this.... Parser.Class Trojan.ByteVerify. Now then, as I went to quarrantine it as Norton couldn't remove it, my pc re-started so it did not get quarantined. I will have to do the full scan again as I can't remember what file it was in.:ugh:

OE-LBA
26th May 2004, 15:48
Another thing I wanted to add in my previous post:
It's possible to stop the countdown (at least with XP):
- open the dos command
- type (without quotes) "shutdown -a" and hit enter
- nice box should disappear

Hope this helps, greetz
Niki