PDA

View Full Version : Landing on Wimbledon Common

The Nr Fairy
23rd May 2004, 09:13
I've had a request from a mate to land at a site near Caesar's Camp reporting point (on the London Helilanes). Kicker is, I only have acces (and am type-rated on) singles.

I've had a look on the charts and it seems feasible technically - perhaps a Congested Area permission from the CAA may be required, but otherwise the proposed HLS is about 1/2 mile east of the RP, and during the day, SVFR, it seems ok.

Anyone have any thoughts ? Is there anything I've missed ?

Helinut
23rd May 2004, 15:07
Nr Fairy,

From my experience, you are are along the right lines but I would suggest you check a couple of other things too. [I am doing this without a heliroute chart to hand].

You need the landowner's permission of course. I assume you are also talking day only.

Because you can follow a heliroute most of the way in, that part of the trip should not be a problem.

You have said nothing about the immediate surroundings of the landing site. You will need to be able to show approach/ departure routes that you can follow without exposing persons or property on the ground to danger. In other words you need to be able to show where you would auto safely. Bear in mind that you will probably not get an ATC clearance above 1,000 ft in that part of the zone.

Finally, what is the size of the landing site and its orientation?

Kalif
24th May 2004, 09:53
From recollection you're going to have the biggest problem with the Royal Parks Police. Give them a ring before you do too much leg work.