PDA

View Full Version : 48 hours and counting until JETSTAR...

Mr Seatback 2
23rd May 2004, 03:04
Today is my last shift as QantasLink. In 48 hours, the Morrissey uniform and the box of food shall be no more on our 717's, because the juggernaut known as Jetstar takes over on Tuesday!

Will be taking photos of all the things I'd never think I'd miss...the boxes of food, serving tea & coffee by hand...all the little things.

Any other Link/Jetstar crew going to miss anything of our Link heritage?

ditzyboy
23rd May 2004, 05:13
yippee.. woo hoo... can hardly wait :hmm:

Just so as I don\'t get flamed again... (I would think the above was obviously said in jest but some people "just have no life." Hey PVC Pants?)

There is MANY positives to come from the change to JQ on Tuesday. It would appear Mr Seatback that we are not allowed to \'miss\' anything as that is negative and some people around here have a problem with people expressing their opinion and having fun. So first here are my positives re. Jetstar. Dedicated to all you \'pit dwellers out there;

- Being employed by the people who\'s uniform you wear. (4 years it took but we got there! :ok:
- Being employed at all
- Change can happen quickly and not have to go through 1000s of managers at QF
- No more serving food boxes
- No more serving Qantas coffee (though is the JQ one any better? - International Roast?! :D )
- Pax won\'t have unrealistic expectations
- Reduction of overnights from 9-13 to 1-4 per month (will miss the money but I also miss my life!)
- Tougher airport rules for pax - no more waiting for a Chairman\'s Lounge or FFPL who decides to show up AFTER scheduled departure. "Sorry Darls. You can pay again for a later flight. Ha ha!"
- Get to work on more than one a/c type.
- Have an extra friend (FA) on the A320 to play with :)
- Avalon as a destination (OK that was a stretch!)
- Staff travel onload for JQ flights is via check in sequence NOT seniority
- Free seating - It is going to be a scream! :E
- Quicker transits mean shorter days.

Things I will miss;
- I will miss the fantastic legroom we had on the 717 (before the JQ config) and when we had the posh J class cabin. "Look Nev this one\'s got a curtain! What\'s on the other side? Ohhh."
- Will miss wearing a uniform tie and having pride in how I look.
- Will miss ROK and HBA overnights :{
- Will miss the 717s when they go.

GalleyHag
23rd May 2004, 07:58
Are the 717's going? There is talk that they will be redeployed within the group any truth to that?

Its actually a little sad to see the 717 QFLink operation go, the brainwashing about J* being a total seperate arms length company blah blah blah gives me the feeling that we are loosing part of the family, we all had a whinge about Impulse/Airconnex etc and vice versa now it just seems like you guys are out there to fend for yourself.

I wish you all the best of luck and hope I still get to see your happy and not so happy faces on board QF mainline from time to time.

ditzyboy
23rd May 2004, 11:06
GalleyHag -
95% of us are mostly happy. Everyone naturally has their own individual hang ups. It is just such a big change. Everyone seems interested in helping each other through these strange times. The first three months will be full of heart ache as crew and pax get used to it all.

Dare I say our Career Progression document being signed off has certainly helped put some light at the end of the tunnel.

We are also still trying to get used to another corporate culture within the company. We have gone from Impulse to 'Qantas' to Jetstar in only 3 years. For those of us who have been through one or two of these changes it is hard to feel part of something and at home with your work environment. Each company had a very different culture and different systems. Makes it worse when brand new people seem to fit the corporate mould better than longer term employees. Simply because they haven't had the continual adjusting without time to really settle. This will improve over time and out little Brainwash / Psychological / Motivational courses seemed to help.

Management have identified that we do have major concerns and seem to be at least half interested in listening to us and giving us information. The rapid expansion doesn't help the cause as it makes it more difficult for management to focus on problems.

I don't know what you think but I think JQ gives everyone in Regional, JQ and Short Haul much more stability and security. It allows each division to focus on the area where it makes the most money. A few Short Haul crew have said they feel threatened by JQ but can't say why other than the 'unknown'. I certainly can't think of any reason current positions at SH would be at risk. Just my thoughts.

There is only ONE way and that is forwards. Hate to say it but it's the truth. :)

QANTASTIC
23rd May 2004, 11:19
Wishing you all the best of luck with the launch of the new brand 'JETSTAR' I look forward to travelling on one of the services once the new airbuses come on line for the experiance. I think it will do well ! Its going to capture a new market that Qantas hasent been able to get via the mainline operation. I think its great having people like Mr Seatback 2 and Ditzyboy be so positive to n yet another change new branding and a new way of thinking and working !! Its peopel like these guys that make it all fall together and are willing to embrace the change !!
Goodluck and hope to see you all soon with the SPECIAL new uniform and new aircrafts!! CIAO GO JETSTAR !!

GalleyHag
23rd May 2004, 12:27
ditzyboy

I always enjoy reading your posts, full of real information with a personal spin.

Well I suppose yes some short haul crew are/were concerned about Jetstar but like you I havent really heard any valid reasons behind the concern. If we never had the QFLINK 717 operation and jetstar suddenly came out of no-where I could understand the concern. I think crew are concerned about the percentage of mainline customers and how much market share will be taken but all that has been discussed before. Jetstar needed to happen to get back some of our market share from Virgin so in a way I'm glad QF are introducing Jetstar and not another airline. Jetstar is here to stay and we all have to work together so that we all have some job security be it long haul, short haul, regional and jetstar.

I do feel for you guys with all the re-training, branding etc and in such a short time, however you all sound like a close, supportive group which is fantastic and this will help you all on Tuesday. It is disappointing that you loose your QF uniform and some overnights but hey never say never in this industry everything goes in circles, the uniform will change (some day) and hopefully in time more overnights will come your way.

In terms of your progression to QF Mainline, this has now been signed off right? Fantastic news and something to look forward to. What are the terms of the agreement, numbers that progress and when, is it dependant on permanent recruitment?

sinala1
23rd May 2004, 12:37
Howdy Folks

Wishing all the crew working to Jet* good luck for the launch on Tuesday. Sure you are going into competition for our market share, but hey guys at the end of the day we all do the same job and serve the same pax and experience the same things (overnights, cxxld flights, U/S aircraft etc) so I do sincerely hope that your launch goes smoothly and that the Impulse/jet* crew have a fantastic time with your new venture

Much good luck and Happiness to you all, and for our sake hope to see you back on some of our overnights (LST especially) again soon hey :O :p

exmax
24th May 2004, 01:30
To all the crew changing over to Jetstar,

I sincerely wish you all the very best for the 25th and for your future at Jetstar. I used to work for an airline before it became a franchise back home, so I can remember the feelings of saying goodbye to certain aspects of the old company and becoming something new. Hold on to your memories and just get out there and continue to have fun.

Good luck and happy flying everyone, by the way, the A320's are really nice to work on:D

Exmax:)

SydGirl
24th May 2004, 01:52
To everyone at Jetstar..

Good luck and Best wishes for the big launch tomorrow. I look forward to seeing you all strutting your stuff in your new orange and black identity!

Although you guys are now no longer part of the Qantas "brand", you will always still be part of our family.

Have a sensational day tomorrow and best of luck!

SG
:}

TSSOV
24th May 2004, 04:01
is anyone on here operating the 624 2mo? (SYD-MCY dep. 1035)

cant wait to see the new uniforms:)

Smile!

qfmike737
24th May 2004, 05:50
I just got off the last 717 for me. Wow what a feeling. The crew were really great and it's been fantastic having you guys in BNE.

qfmike

Paulsyd1
24th May 2004, 07:51
The end of an era:{ :{ :{ :{ :{

Just finished my last VQ/ QF-Link / Impulse flight...

Sad, Yes:{
Will i miss it YES!

But i have loads of fond memories..... something to be proud of.
(and tell the grandkids about... hehehe!)
We had (in my opinion) the best damn service in the country.

Best wishes to all tomorrow.

mmmm time for a chardy.....
:ok:
Cheers all.

ditzyboy
24th May 2004, 07:52
Thanks so much All for your well wishes. My first rostered JQ trip isn't until 31 May. I am on days off and reserve until then. Don't think I would cope if I was working tomorrow. I worked the first day of QF 717 ops and let me just say it was NOT fabulous! The re training and manuals and branding and uniforms has left me really mentally drained. (Although NOT a difficult feat!)

GOODBYE BREAKFAST BOXES! :mad: Short Haul crew will so know what I am talking about when I say I am not sad to see the last of those small breakfast boxes on SYD-OOL and Tassie flights! We were sharing "A Day of Lasts" today. Anyway. We were collecting the wretched breakfast boxes when a colleague spattered milk all over this woman. (People leave entire bodies of water and milk and coffee and juice in the boxes and say NOTHING. Then when you lift it up the contents spatters out in all directions.) Anyway I said to her that since 2001 I had spattered the liquid contents of breakky boxes all over myself and the cabin but NEVER the customers. Well. The last breakfast box I ever collected ended up ALL OVER this guy's $1200 suit. He was not happy and neither was I! Sorry to dribble on but how poetic is that!? The LAST bloody box I collect! :hmm:

sinala1 -
Had a little fun with the Virgin crew in ROK on Sat night. They were really great! We were out for a BIG one as it was the last 717 overnight there. The DJ crew were on their first. They promised to follow us to Hooters but never showed :{ Oh well. There was this dancer called Pretzel and I soon found out the reason behind the name :yuk:

GalleyHag -
Maybe Mr Seatback knows what is happening re. CP. I keep out of it so then crew won't ask me about it all the time! :cool:

Mike -
We will miss you too, buddy! Oh well. We now have AO staff travel back so I may just have to get on one of YOUR aircraft soon. *fingers crossed* ;)

Mr Seatback 2
24th May 2004, 09:11
It's like starting at a new school - I'm excited, nervous and worried all at the same time!

Oh the memories. Those bloody breakfast boxes with all that milk and water (had that last night on my last Link service OOL-SYD). This guy gave me the filthiest look when I got water on his magazine - this, despite the fact, it was from HIS box that he handed me UPSIDE DOWN!

Oh the hilarity of it all now I look back on my last 4 sector Link shift.

What will I miss:
* The free service (will always have a soft spot for a free meal service)
* The SYD-NTL-SYD juice and muesli run. Such a scenic flight and so short, yet not long enough to have anyone create a mess - and the service was a dream too!
* Qantas bits and pieces in the galley (strange to think we won't have Qantas Napkins, etc. there anymore!)
* The uniform (of course) - but not the luggage. Why? Cause it kept breaking on me!
* Some of my regular fliers. I know some won't travel Jetstar, and over 3 years, it will be sad to say bye to them. But they - like me - will move on (sniff).

What I WON'T miss:
* The frequent flyers blithering on about their status and how important they were (strangely not the ones who actually were really important, like the Emeralds or the Chairmans' Lounge). No Status with me now honey. You pay, you board, you shut up and sit down, and do EVERYTHING I tell you to. Or else.
* Families grasping free drinks from the trolley just because they were free (not because they were thirsty...don't be a fooooooool kimmy!)
* Kidspacks being destroyed beyond recognition after having parents PLEAD for them as souvenirs of their flight. How many souvenirs get disembowelled before arriving home I wonder? On average?
* The crew meals. Less said, soon forgotten!
* Headsets being brought aboard and having to explain we have nothing to plug them into.

Less than 12 hours to go before the launch...someone, hold my hand...please!?

ditzyboy
24th May 2004, 21:52
TSSOV -
One of the crew is a very nice guy who's name starts with 'E'. I am sure he will take the very best care of you.

Let us know how the flight goes. So I don't make a fool of myself I'll be sure to ask everyone for hints and tips - even pax! :) Like Mr Seatback said you can have flown as long as you want (me since 2000) but you change uniforms and livery and it may as well be your first day. Just until you get used to things.

Why are you going to Noosa?

cloud nine
27th May 2004, 11:10
Hey guys,

How is Jetstar going so far. Seen a very very shiny paint job on a 717, looks great.

So how have the pax been? Any trouble over who gets the window seats yet?

Intrested in knowing how the whole thing is paning out for you all. :)

ditzyboy
27th May 2004, 22:34
I was delighted to be proven wrong about free seating. It is BRILLIANT! :ok:

The first 30 people all fight over the first row. (Not fight but they all try and sit at the front). The people that get stuck behind them move past the overwing exits because they have just learnt first hand what happens when everyone tries to sit at the front. Then the next group of people walk up and down the ailse looking at the seats. It is HILARIOUS! They look like they are looking at furniture! They realise all the seats are the same so they find one. Then the last few people sit down as soon as they find two or three seats together (depending on the size of their party).

I worked two FULL sectors yestereday. These were MCY pax who are princesses at the best of times! We had oldies, young families, groups, disabled pax and the list goes on. And it all went off without a hitch! No fuss at all. It was all just so simple and the only comments I got were positive.

Like I said it was really funny to watch from the back. Those people who walk up and down the aisle looking at the seats. They REALLY look like they are at Ikea or Freedom! :O:

The inflight service is great. Quite often you don't even stop with the trolley for five or six rows. Everyone just says "no". Makes it very easy! We sold out of a lot of stuff. The quality of the food is great and the range is pretty good for Phase 1.

There was a lot of problems with the drinks being warm and with missing dry stores and overflowing galley bins etc. But that will be fixed soon enough. I must say I have found the GateGourmet staff on the tarmac rude, inefficient and totally unwilling to help or even do their jobs.

Overall I must say I was very surprised at how happy all the pax were. We have had many procedural changes so we were all fumbling over one another but I am confident I will know what I am doing next time.

Two thumbs up for the JQ startup :ok: :ok: (GateGourmet needs to find better staff for their tarmac operation. They were really rude and refused to do their jobs let alone assist us with problems / questions etc.)

Elle
27th May 2004, 23:21
I can't stop laughing at your comment about people looking like they are in Ikea or Freedom.....

Very funny!! :ok:

belle7
28th May 2004, 05:30
Hope it all went well. Looked g8t on the news. The uniforms look good, whats is like to wear? To those of you we saw in hba (the day after the lauch) sigining on, good to quickly have a chat.

Just remember all, the more people fly the better it is for all of us, no matter who they fly or who we work for. Plus its fun to hear that all pax/guest's sometimes leave their brains at the front door of the terminal!! Hee hee.

Safe flying.

Regards
Bel:D :D :D

cloud nine
28th May 2004, 11:02
Glad to hear all is going well Ditzyboy. Keep us informed. ;)

ditzyboy
28th May 2004, 22:05
As much as I l dislike the uniform. (I really really do :yuk: ) It is really comfortable to wear. I have opted for long sleeve shirts. It feels like I am wearing pyjamas! Nice and cosy...

ShesGreatintheGalley
30th May 2004, 08:15
the uniforms are comfortable and easy to wear. The jackets are great.. i like the little tie up things and they fit really well. so i am glad that i have changed my opinion on them, as before i was wearing them i was very doubtful.

Free seating dosent seem to be a problem at all! the people down the back in the last row dont seem to mind at all that they are between 2 engines without a window (mabye because they felt they had a choice?) and there is no longer problems of having to move people because ("i asked for a window seat and they gave me an aisle" or " i dont like sitting down the back past the wing it makes me feel sick" etc), families get to all sit together and honeymoon couples can finally get ajoining seats etc.. people seem to stay put now and i havent heard a single complaint or comment about their seating position. Its nice not having to juggle seats around and also having someone in the exit row for boarding means that there is no moving inappropriate people after everyone is seated.. you can just tell them not to sit there before they do.

the only things i dont like about it are the CSAs attitudes at some ports (ok, most of them are brand new but they need to realise that things never run exactly to plan and sometimes they have to be willing to help out and do something a little different in order to get the flight off on time).
Gate Gourmet in my opinion has been awful and the only thing that has dragged us down. Its fantastic being able to give people a menu and offer a choice of really decent food at a cheap price but its awful when you have to keep saying "sorry, the wraps are sold out etc" to every single person and some only get what they want after their sixth choice. There is not enough stock on board and the whole system of backup carts, restocking etc is just wrong and takes too long. on a short flight it just wont be done and holds up the turnarounds.

overall, its a different way of doing things and as much as i will miss Qantaslink, this is fun and i have enjoyed my flights so far. few problems to be ironed out but other than that, i would give it a nice 8.5/10 (as a passenger view - points subtracted for lack of food) and 9/10 to work on as an FA. :)

cloud nine
30th May 2004, 09:07
What about pre boards and UM's? Are they allocated a seat? Or do they just board with the rest of the pax?

sinala1
31st May 2004, 03:11
Shesgreatinthegalley

"There is not enough stock on board and the whole system of backup carts, restocking etc is just wrong and takes too long. on a short flight it just wont be done and holds up the turnarounds."

I am not entirely sure how many carts/backup carts you guys have available to you on the 717? I have been with DJ for almost 3 years now and seen heaps of changes in cart loadings etc and each time a new loading system comes in, its like having to relearn it all over again. You guys will get used to it, and it will become especially easier when you get the A320 (more cart stowages and a REAR GALLEY woohoo!). We dont deal with gate gourmet so I cant speak from experience, but I would presume this is a very different style of catering for them to get used to as well? That said though, rudeness and arrogance is never required...

As far as short flights go, generally I will say to my rear-galley based crew that they can stay there after service to do all the stuff they need to do (restocking, catering uplifts etc), and along with my R1 we look after the cabin for the rest of the flight (securing, clearing in etc). That generally takes a bit of pressure off the rear crew, and ultimately they work more efficiently.

Have fun with Jet* folks, looking fwd to hearing more stories... Ditzy I cant wait to see your first posts re Mullets/Thongs etc!!!!

Mr Seatback 2
31st May 2004, 03:33
To answer your question Cloudy, all pre-boards are given time before general boarding to board at their leisure. This also occurs for families with children, wheelchair passengers, etc.

As for UM's - we don't carry them. As of last week. That may change...who knows?!

The only seat allocation (if you can call it that) is when people with guide dogs, etc. have to be allocated a seat in the first row. But generally the Ground Staff will bring them on first to ensure they get the seat they need to sit at.