PDA

View Full Version : "Member Rated" Feature -- vote here

McD
8th Jul 2001, 03:45
One issue that seems to be contentious during this first day of the new software is the new "Rate Member/Member Rated" feature. I have received a lot of input regarding this feature, and most of it seems to be negative. Comments tend to describe it as "divisive", "unnecessary", "inappropriate", etc.

** One thing before I continue: you can individually disable your own rating by going into your profile and answering NO to the question about displaying your rating ... it's about third from bottom **

Someone asked me if the Rating feature could be disabled completely ... I don't know the answer yet, because it may be an imbedded feature of this new software.

However, I'd like to pose this question to all PPRuNers:

Are you FOR or AGAINST the Rate Member / Member Rated feature.
--Do you think it is a good thing? Vote FOR
--Do you think it is a bad thing? Vote AGAINST

Post your answers to this thread.

[ 08 July 2001: Message edited by: McD ]

sprocket
8th Jul 2001, 03:51
Indifferent.
I have chosen to disable mine though. Seems an unecessary feature.

kbf1
8th Jul 2001, 03:51
Against..too open for abuse and flaming.

Just a personal note, but I preferred the old BB software as it had a better layout.

Pielander
8th Jul 2001, 03:53
AGAINST.

1. If you take it seriously, then that's got to be bad.

2. If you don't take it seriously, then it's utterly pointless.

3. It IS utterly pointless.

BEagle
8th Jul 2001, 03:54
AGAINST - and I'm with kbf1 regarding the BB layout!

exeng
8th Jul 2001, 03:56
A bit of feedback can't be a bad thing.

Regards
exeng

Rollingthunder
8th Jul 2001, 03:58
How, exactly does it work?
Can I see the ops manual?

Velvet
8th Jul 2001, 03:59
Not sure what it means - does it kick in with so many posts. Is it relevant anyway.

Does it matter?

Techman
8th Jul 2001, 04:07
Dont really care for the "rated" feature, btw can anyone become x-rated.

Also the new layout is too cluttered.

McD
8th Jul 2001, 04:07
Velvet -- it's seems to be sort of a "popularity" contest. Readers can "rate" other readers based on whatever they want.

To all others -- I'd like to respectfully request that you stick to this ONE topic .. I didn't start this thread to debate the entire software upgrade. Many of you who don't like the upgrade are simply experiencing the growing pains that occur when change takes place. Give it time, and give the new features a test-drive. I think you will find the upgrade to be a great improvement, once you get used to the differences.

Now back to the ONE issue, please ... vote FOR or AGAINST the Rating.

Winston Smith
8th Jul 2001, 04:10
In the present shape: NO.

For reasons of fairness, all voters should be listed (with optional comments) for all to see on the poster's profile page.

And it should be clearly stated whether we are supposed to vote on either:

- how much we simply like or respect the person in question,
- how much we agree with their opinions, or
- how important we deem their presence on PPRuNe.

(P.S.: PLEASE turn on UBB code on JetBlast a.s.a.p.!)

Dave Incognito
8th Jul 2001, 04:26
Against.

It’s all a bit futile IMHO.

mad_jock
8th Jul 2001, 04:31
From a wannabies point of view it would be good so that if you wern't visiting alot you could gauge the quality of the reply/advice you were given. But i have a feeling that its going to be a 1 or 5 afair and as soon as you go against another sizable group you will drop to nothing which is OK for the thick skined types but might be a bit much for the sensative types.

I would be happy with the admins deciding on a rating gauged on your input to the other forums apart from jetblast. It would also give some input if you needed to winded your neck in, which i could do with myself sometimes. If you don't care what your rating is you can cover it. But at least people will know to be careful with your advise if you don't show a neutral rating.
But then again the admins would then get abuse about playing god etc which they can do without.

Good luck admins this one is going to be a tough call.

MJ

PPRuNe Towers
8th Jul 2001, 04:41
Sorry Winston,

The ubb tags include the [img] command for importing graphics/pictures. We found out the hard way that it doesn't belong on this forum.

We don't have the time or the money to rewrite the software to remove that one command. Therefore ubb stays off here.

Meanwhile - back at McD's thread............

pax domina
8th Jul 2001, 05:30
AGAINST

Think about it, if . . .

"The ubb tags include the [img] command for importing graphics/pictures. We found out the hard way that it doesn't belong on this forum."

. . . is there much chance that the rating feature *won't* turn in to a popularity contest, or be used to "punish" people involved in an argument?

I seem to have disabled the feature when I modified the location shown in my new profile. (I thought I was just hiding my rating from being shown with my posts.) And I'll admit that I've already rated several people I've met, and like, a five.

Damsel
8th Jul 2001, 05:47
Not necessary, it will be misread by most posters as either some sort of popularity rating or experience rating.

GoGirl
8th Jul 2001, 06:01
Indifferent...but I have chosen to disable it, as I see it as not really relevent either :D

GG

Constable Clipcock
8th Jul 2001, 06:35
Since when are any of us afraid of a bad rating anyway? As if it even mattered?

Kermit 180
8th Jul 2001, 06:42
Im with the others - rating people seems pointless. Although I guess if ya want to rate people then its another accessory to play with...

:rolleyes:

OzExpat
8th Jul 2001, 07:23
Definitely AGAINST! This feature gets a big fat raspberry from me. Not only is it a somewhat biased, subjective thing, it gives folks more ways to "FLAME" someone that he or she does not like. :(

Please, if there's a way to get rid of it, this feature should go!

mutt
8th Jul 2001, 07:33
NO! :D

Capt Vegemite
8th Jul 2001, 08:00
Dont unnerstand the question NO

henry crun
8th Jul 2001, 08:21
against. there doesn't seem to be a great deal of point to it

StbdD
8th Jul 2001, 09:53
Against. Was exposed to a similar system in the service know as "Spear rating" opps, I meant peer rating. No accountabilty but the capability of ruining someones career. I survived with a high rating but bought alot of beer enroute!

Ratings? Bad idea. Got a problem with a poster? Decide if what they posted was important enough to respond to. Flame where necessary. Got a deeper problem with a poster? Disregard their posts or hunt them down and resolve your differences. Um, a tip, when you are face to face with them you might want to listen to their side of the issue. You may still disagree but you will be closer to understanding the others point. Safety tip here... that tends to make for a pint or two so be prepared.

We have little or no control over who posts here. They may or may not have opinions we find valid. They might not fit our definitions of "proper" in their posts, we may not consider their points valid. Should they then be "trashed" anonymously by a rating system? I think not. Post and let the responses educate or trash, but with a screename attached. That promotes growth

old_cross_bound
8th Jul 2001, 10:44
I'm not here for a popularity contest as many of you know by now. LOL! I believe most (not all) posters here are presupposed in their thinking and are probably in a rut, stuck up to their necks, in incorrect thinking, if the truth were known.

I'm not concerned about the rating one way or another as it has very little relevance to me.

I would like to know how they arrive at the rating though.

I know I have nothing to do with the criteria being used nor the methods by which they arrive at their conclusions, if anyone cares to look into the origins of the rating system here.

ocb

Wholigan
8th Jul 2001, 11:57
Sorry to appear slow and thick (it IS Sunday after all), but WTF are you on about??? What's a "member rating" and where is it to be found? I have looked, but I am notoriously blind when facing the obvious! :confused:

lame
8th Jul 2001, 12:37
I think it is a bad idea, I disabled it earlier today, but it appears to be completely removed from the site now anyway?
:confused:

CR2
8th Jul 2001, 14:02
Against.

Feeton Terrafirma
8th Jul 2001, 14:06
I'm glad it's gone. It was just another opening for problems.

Lame, I see you have finally found your true home :) :eek:

dingducky
8th Jul 2001, 15:56
i like it as long as i get a good rating :D :D

Mac the Knife
8th Jul 2001, 16:17
Daft idea that Rating story - glad it's gone - PPRuNe isn't a popularity contest after all. I did notice that a few quick-off-the-mark ppruners gave themselves a quick 5...

Why can't I send myself a private message?? I talk to myself all the time !!!

New software seems quicker and cleaner too - well done for a smooth upgrade!

old_cross_bound
8th Jul 2001, 18:36
Someone should start a thread whereby the posters here can rate the other poster as they see and observe them from their point of view.

[ 08 July 2001: Message edited by: old_cross_bound ]

HugMonster
8th Jul 2001, 18:51
That's a better idea for other posters than it is for you, OCB. Be careful what you wish for...

McD
9th Jul 2001, 03:06
I see that the Member Rated feature has been removed, so I will now close this thread.

Thanks to all for your inputs.

McD