PDA

View Full Version : Air Conditioning and Bacteria

fesmokie
22nd May 2004, 16:47
I,m a crewmember on the 747 Classic freighter and presently home sick with Bacterial Pneumonia. I have long suspected the air conditioning on some of our aircraft to be laiden with bacteria due to the lack of proper maintenence and cleaning. I have recently noticed on one particular aircraft when we pull the power back to idle thrust, I get a strong smell of oil or hydraulic fluid through the A/C. This particular aircraft uses "J" engines and I suspect a bad engine seal can allow eng oil into the bleed air system at idle thrust but I,m not sure if this is possible on this engine. Has anyone else in PPrune land experienced this and gotten sick as a result ? I would like to know more about this before I pursue or place blame in the wrong area. I was also in Hong Kong and Korea prior to my illness so I may have picked the bacteria up there but, over the past ten years I have never had so much as a cold. Thanx

gingernut
24th May 2004, 14:55
have any of your colleagues come down with the same symptoms ?

fesmokie
24th May 2004, 15:56
I am still investigating this but its difficult for one to put a finger on the cause. I did hear of another crewmember who thinks he may have gotten ill from an aircraft and I'm trying to find out who this individual is. There are so many variables and perhaps it may be impossible to determine where or what made me sick but if anyone out there has experienced something like this or has any input please advise. Thanx gingernut for your concern.