PDA

View Full Version : .pst file on CDROM for Outlook

exeng
22nd May 2004, 10:15
I backed up M.S. 'Outlook' to CDROM with a .pst file as I was rebuilding my system from a clean (formatted hard disk) install. Now I cannot load the .pst file when I attempt to import it from the cdrom.

Investigation has led me to believe that if I copy the file directly to somewhere on the hard disk and change its attributes I will have some success. I've tried various changes but no luck so far.

I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Regards
Exeng

The Nr Fairy
22nd May 2004, 13:53
What's the symptoms of your problem ?

If the file is copied direct off the CDROM, then placed in the relevant folder (as configured off the desktop Outlook icon's Properties menu pick), then changed so the "Read Only" option is unticked, you should be fine.

Otherwise let us know what the exact symptoms are.

exeng
23rd May 2004, 10:50
I'm running 'Outlook 2003' by the way.

I've tried unchecking the read only box after copying the file to the hard disk.

When trying to import it I get the message that the file "backup.pst" is not a personal folders file.

It is not the end of the world as all my addresses were backed up plus most of my important e-mails.

Just a bit irritating as I thought I'd done the right thing.

Regards
Exeng

Spitoon
26th May 2004, 19:45
As TCS says, the Outlook 2003 files are different to earlier versions.

It's a bit of a drastic suggestion when one is talking about MS software but you could try uninstalling Outlook 2003, installing your earlier version of Outlook, importing the .pst file and then upgrading to Outlook 2003.

If it is down to file formats that will probably do the trick ... but it's not without its potential glitches! If you go for it, I would recommend backing up your system beforehand.

Hope you get your stuff back.