PDA

View Full Version : So how long for a PPL ??

CFI-CFS
22nd May 2004, 08:51
A dedicated Instructor, given a motivated student with average Intelligence and co ordination, will be able to teach that student to Private Pilot standard in 21 days of good weather.

Gerald Todd

Moderator please don’t attach this post to Sandy Young’s, if I wanted it there I would have done so.

Stephen Stark
22nd May 2004, 09:07
In my experience, it can and has been done - not a problem at all.

skyvan
22nd May 2004, 17:46
I'm sure that it would also help if the student has done at least some of the theory work before arriving for the course.

One of the bigger problems seen way too regularly is the student arriving to get a PPL without doing any of background work. All too often they are motivated by ego, or driven by someone elses dream.

21 days of good weather, allow for flight and duty rest requirements (even a student should not exceed F&D) and 4 weeks is a good bet i.e. it's what I would work on to give a 95% probability of success.

Of course, those in the game of full-time courses are more experienced in this regard. I can only speak from the point of view of an occasional part-time instructor. :)

Gunship
26th May 2004, 22:10
3 Weeks is more than enough.

Ideal 4 weeks with a BIG - IDEAL weather ;)

bluesafrica
26th May 2004, 23:40
Well, I must be very old fashioned but I feel that 3 weeks is pushing it.
There is a lot of theory to do, never mind the flying alone.
4 even better if 5 weeks usually guarantees quite a good results. It also depends if you only like to teach the student the correct answers and nothing else...

Most type courses what I have done for bizjets take 3 weeks alone!
Blues:ugh:

prospector
27th May 2004, 01:58
I must be old fashioned to, if a student fronted up with all the theory exams already passed, thus showing a desire to succeed , had the right attitude, and aptitude, then three weeks would be an achievable goal. From scratch achievable by few individuals, but granted achievable.

Prospector

George Tower
27th May 2004, 09:11
I did mine in three weeks but I did have things in my favour. Additionally I had read entirely the first four volumes of Trevor Thom. This meant I wasn't worrying about passing exam, but rather applying the stuff I learnt - so motivation of the student is a big factor.

Main factors are:

1. Weather

2. Aircraft availability & Maintenance.

The main thing is that corners don't get cut. Some people think that three weeks automatically means a rushed approach. So long as prepartion is sound there shouldn't be a problem.

PS Doing my PPL was the best experience of my life.