PDA

View Full Version : Mozilla Fire Fox and Thunderbird

Avtrician
22nd May 2004, 07:40
Just downloaded these from the software links, and like them:ok:

Actualy using firefox at the moment, and seems a little faster than IE.

Any one else tried them? what do you think.

:O

Mac the Knife
22nd May 2004, 09:01
Currently running Firefox 0.8 - I'd like to say that it's faster than IE but actually I don't find much real-world difference. It's certainly nice to run something that is less vulnerable to security holes and hijacking. The real clincher for me is the tabbed interface, I just find it so incredibly convenient - no more windows scattered all over the place. But some web pages are not W3C compliant and don't display correctly in Firefox (or Opera) - this isn't really a big issue - just an occasional irritation. Have to say I don't use IE much anymore...

Evo
22nd May 2004, 09:21
I've looked at Mozilla, but haven't switched because I like Opera. Looks good though.

But some web pages are not W3C compliant and don't display correctly in Firefox (or Opera) - this isn't really a big issue - just an occasional irritation

Not testing a serious commercial website with multiple browsers is just lazy, but some are intentionally broken (http://deb.opera.com/howcome/2003/2/msn/) :mad:

Avtrician
22nd May 2004, 12:58
I use Ninemsn as my home page here in Oz, and have noticed no difference between IE and Fire fox.

My banking site even works although tailored for IE6 and netscape. it warns that there might be problems but i found it actualy works faster.

:ok:

I will keep trying for a while until I have problems, the look for upgrades.

P.S. Even PPRUNE loads faster

Timothy
22nd May 2004, 23:41
I have tried them all. I use Firefox .8 as standard, but occasionally switch to IE because some web designers are too idle to test their sites in anything else. Funnily enough, this very pane in which I am writing this posting is far too narrow in Firefox...obviously some glitch in phpBB (or this implementation of phpBB :p ).

Tabbed browsing is available in Opera, Mozilla and Firefox. I reject Opera because it is buggy, looks babyish and carries advertising. I find Firefox pretty much indistinguishable from Mozilla in terms of functionality, but I reckon that Firefox is slightly faster. Also I believe that Firefox is the future of Mozilla and will replace it entirely when v1.0 is released.

If you use Firefox, I strongly recommend the .ZIP download, not the Windows Installer version. I will go into details if anyone cares, but in brief it works better with plug-ins.

Mac the Knife
23rd May 2004, 07:13
"....but in brief it works better with plug-ins."

?????

Okay, so go into details.

Mac the Knife
23rd May 2004, 09:59
There's a nice aviation Firefox/Firebird & Thunderbird theme at http://skypilot.projectit.com/

"Sky Pilot Classic is a theme commemorating Charles Lindbergh and the "Spirit of St. Louis" and is a portation of the original Netscape 6.1 theme designed and authored by Kevin Cunningham, aka. kang. It uses a unique blend of purple and grey hues in combination with vivid and striking multi-colored icons which seems to becken one to explore the full features of the browser and its various components."

23rd May 2004, 17:57
I use both Firefox and Thunderbird. Really cool programmes. I especially like the tabbed browsing and the included download manager. On occasion I have to use IE6, when going to the MS website or when some of the other websites dont work with Firefox.
Thunderbird is also very userfriendly. I experimented with Eudora and Incredimail and various others like Outlook and Outlook Express. Dont want to use any of those mail clients, thanks to Thunderbird!:ok:

Timothy
23rd May 2004, 23:28
Okay, so go into detailsRead this thread from about this point (http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?p=497651&highlight=#497651).

Timothy

Bre901
24th May 2004, 16:46
Evo

According to CNET (http://news.com.com/Microsoft+behind+%2412+million+payment+to+Opera/2100-1032_3-5218163.html?tag=nefd.lede) , Micro$oft paid Opera $12m to settle the dispute.

18th Jun 2004, 04:38
Firefox 0,9 is now available here (http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/)

goates
18th Jun 2004, 14:12
Mozilla 1.7 is also out at Mozilla.org (http://www.mozilla.org).

So far FireFox 0.9 is working great. It definitely feels snappier.

goates

Avtrician
19th Jun 2004, 12:59
At the time of this posting, I am using Mozilla 1.7.

I am finding it to be quite good, with the the slight advantage of being able to go to my mailbox from the menu bar ( unfortuneately wouldnt import the settings from thunder bird).

All in all seems pretty good as well.:ok:

Out Of Trim
20th Jun 2004, 22:57
I've tried most of the browsers mentioned but, now fairly exclusively use Avant Browser these days.

It's also a tabbed browser and seems to me; slightly more user friendly and easier to configure to my own personal requirements.

I think it's faster than most too, quite stable and frequently has new updates which are quick to download, even on dial-up.

I quite like Flashpeak's Slim browser too.
:D

Timothy
13th Jul 2004, 15:00
Does anyone share the problem I have with Firefox and PPRuNe?

I find that the posting form is very narrow. To give an idea, it is this
<-------------------------------------------------->
wide.

I have had this problem on .8, .9.1 and .9.2.

WXPPro, ATi Mobility Radeon9000.

Any suggestions very welcome.

http://www.artifax.net/misc/pprune page.jpg

small_dog
13th Jul 2004, 16:14
I'm running Fire Fox 0.9.2 and I have a narrow posting form as well but, to be honest, it doesnt seem to have a major effect.

Does anyone know how to view .pdf documents/webpages in Fire Fox? At the moment, I have to download them and view them from my desktop.
Thanks.

goates
14th Jul 2004, 00:18
small_dog,

Are you using Adobe Acrobat Reader? If you are, you may need to reinstall it. If not, install it. I have no problem reading .pdf files in FireFox.

goates

Avtrician
14th Jul 2004, 00:38
I have noticed the same thing with Mozilla 1.7, but it doesnt bother me greatly.

small_dog
14th Jul 2004, 07:54
Cheers Goates,
Reintalling acrobate reader did the trick.
Thanks.:ok:

goates
14th Jul 2004, 16:29
small_dog,

Glad it worked. Enjoy! :D

goates

Timothy
14th Jul 2004, 21:59
I suppose the narrow posting thing doesn't really bother me, but it does smack of something not being set up right, so I'd love to know if anyone knows.

I spose I could post on Mozzilazine forums!

shack
15th Jul 2004, 13:30
I've just started to use Firefox but cannot get it to dial automatically. I've made the 3 changes suggested for Mozzila but to no avail. Any ideas please.

Land After
15th Jul 2004, 15:07
I've just started to use Firefox but cannot get it to dial automatically.

I know that Firefox is a more secure browser than IE, but in age of hijacks, I'd be very unhappy about having any dial when needed connections on my machine, even if it is to an unlimited dial-up account. You never know if the number has been changed.

four_two
15th Jul 2004, 19:20
Quote:
"I suppose the narrow posting thing doesn't really bother me, but it does smack of something not being set up right, so I'd love to know if anyone knows."

Me too!

As an experiment I opened the Post Reply page with both Firefox and IE and by cycling between the two found the only substantial difference
was the size of the Reply box itself. It is not a problem when replying with text but I had a job fitting a Hyperlink code in once.

Caslance
15th Jul 2004, 21:07
I'm using Firefox 0.9.1 at the moment, and I have to admit I'm becoming quite attached to it. :cool:

Timothy
15th Jul 2004, 21:52
Me too!
I have posted the question on the Mozilla forum..I'll let you know...

Timothy
16th Jul 2004, 22:25
Well, apparently this is common with vBulletin, and remains a problem in Version 2.3.2.

It could be fixed by the administrators if they could be bothered.