PDA

View Full Version : Screwed by warranty company

StirStick
22nd May 2004, 05:30
Sent my laptop in for warranty coverage. They replaced the motherboard and sent it back. Great! But wait. It was about a month before I used the top usb port (vacation...didn't even touch the computer for two weeks). When I plugged a device into the top usb port, it felt loose. I unplugged, and plugged back in. Computer shut down. Called and troubleshooted with a tech. During that process, I looked into the usb port and saw that the the plastic piece that fits over the prongs was missing and the prongs were bent. They tell me to send it in (the problem was still written up as a power problem) then denied service because there was physical damage not covered under the warranty.

I spent a good part of the day trying to talk reasonably to these people explaining that the first time I used the port it failed as a result of their previous repair. No luck. Apparantly too much time had passed from the time I received the computer until the time I called them.

It gets worse. Becase their is physical damage to the unit, the warranty is now void until I get the physical damage repaired by a Compaq certified repair station. They cannot repair the usb port and therefore have to replace the motherboard to complete the repair.

What a crock. They screwed up, now I have two years of warranty I paid for that I am unable to use and a broken usb port.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
22nd May 2004, 13:37
StirStick,

I would keep going up the ladder at whichever contact you have at Compaq. Keep asking for their supervisor till you get someone that will get the problem fixed for you.

Take Care,

Richard

stagger
24th May 2004, 14:42
For many latops the USB sockets (and many other ports) are hard wired onto the motherboard. This is certainly the case for my Dell and may the case for your laptop too.

If it is the case then when you had a new motherboard installed you had new USB sockets installed since they're part of the unit.

So it's probably not that they broke your existing socket - it's that they fitted motherboard with a faulty USB socket when servicing your laptop. The fact that you didn't notice this for a few weeks should be irrelevant.

Would need to check a service manual to determine whether the socket is part of the motherboard unit - what's the laptop model number?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
25th May 2004, 01:13
stagger,

I would say just about everything on notebooks, and Dead End Desktops for that matter, are hardwired to the motherboard.

Take Care,

Richard

StirStick
25th May 2004, 04:24
I tried that. Talked to a couple of customer service supervisors on two different phone calls. I did not lose my cool, tried to talk logically and reasonably, but no luck and nothing I can do or say to change their mind. The one month from receiving the unit until I called them was the major sticking point with them.

I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau but I doubt that will get anywhere either.

stagger

It's Compaq Presario 12XL500.

stagger
25th May 2004, 08:46
Naples Air Center is right - most stuff is hardwired and thus part of the motherboard.

The only exceptions on my system are the hard disk, keyboard, display and mini-PCI modem/ethernet all of which plug into little sockets.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
26th May 2004, 01:32
StirStick,

You just sent it to them and the problem was in the motherboard which they replaced. Well the problem is still in the motherboard. You tell them, "how can a part they changed fail within a hour of use!"

Then demand a replacement. It would really be good to go to their marketing department and file a complaint there. (It will get you a lot farther than the BBB.)

Take Care,

Richard

StirStick
26th May 2004, 17:20
I tried that convincing them of that. I'm dealing with GE warranty. Had I called right after I received the computer, they may have sent it back MicroMedics (the company that did the work) for them to fix it. Since it was a month after the fact, they are saying it was too much time. I have been round and round with them about this but to no avail. They absolutely will not do it. Basically I am screwed.

Does anyone know much about going to small claims court? They are in TX and I am a few states away. Would I have to file a claim in their location or could I do it my state?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
27th May 2004, 02:29
StirStick,

If they are doing business in your state, you can file locally in Small Claims.

Take Care,

Richard

StirStick
4th Jun 2004, 02:54
What would be defined as doing business in my state? Circuit City sells their warranties so I'm not sure if that is considered doing business where Circuit City is or not...

amanoffewwords
4th Jun 2004, 06:04
I'm not a lawyer, and not familiar with US law generally, but I would suggest that if they accepted to do some warranty work for the initial problem it would imply that they were fulfilling their part of the contract with you - the fact that you are located in a different state could be construed by a layman that they are doing business there.

[did a law course long time ago - remember the bit about English law judging things in the "eye of a layman" - i.e. what an independent bystander would think of a given situation http://www.stopstart.freeserve.co.uk/smilie/moresleep.gif]

But I digress, I think you should start writing letters, preferably to the top guy/girl - I know in the case of a large sophisticated (sorry I mean dead-end, Richard!) manufacturer with a name starting with D putting pen to paper to the head-honcho does have its effects...

Charles

Naples Air Center, Inc.
5th Jun 2004, 14:40
StirStick,

Doing business would be advertising and selling their products in your state. (The do business nation wide so you have a case in your local small claims court.)

Take Care,

Richard

P.S. It would be worth to file in small claims, it is better than sitting around doing nothing.

StirStick
12th Jun 2004, 01:31
Well, maybe good news. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. I received a call from the offending company and it appears they are going to fix it!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
13th Jun 2004, 12:51
StirStick,

That is great news. Score one for the little guys! :ok:

Take Care,

Richard

StirStick
13th Jun 2004, 20:46
I am still skeptical, but I'll let you know what happens! The shipping box should arrive tomorrow I think.

StirStick
12th Jul 2004, 16:33
My laptop has been fixed! Thank you Better Business Bureau and thank you GE Warranty for being reasonable!

Naples Air Center, Inc.
14th Jul 2004, 12:57
StirStick,

That is great news! :ok:

Take Care,

Richard