PDA

View Full Version : Bit of sad news....

Slasher
6th Jul 2001, 18:04
Im in China at the moment on a long charter and I just got word from one of the guys back home that Porky died late today. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Apparantley he got his head cought crawling under a wire fence and drowned due to heavy rains in Nam. Silly bugger.

Sh!t Ill miss him.

RIP mate.

con-pilot
6th Jul 2001, 18:06
Sorry Slash, I know how it feels.

Take care.

Biggles Flies Undone
6th Jul 2001, 18:08
Oh sh!t Slash, sorry to hear that :-(

Hopefully he was crawling under the wire on the exit from the pigs compound and at least died satisfied.

Man-on-the-fence
6th Jul 2001, 18:18
Slash

I am so, so sorry. Porky sounded like a complete sod of a cat, just like mine.

My sincere condolences

MOTF

PilotsPal
6th Jul 2001, 18:43
I'm really sorry to read that. Nobody's fault but it always happens when you're not there, doesn't it?

PP

Eric
6th Jul 2001, 18:50
Sorry to hear that Slash, it's just like losing a member of the family

RIP (it up in Heaven Porky)

BlueDiamond
6th Jul 2001, 19:04
That's awful, Slash. We do miss them when they go don't we? May his furry little spirit reappear to nibble your toes in the night and scare the [email protected] outta ya.

Hersham Boy
6th Jul 2001, 19:18
This is sad news indeed. Only yesterday I was reading his account of a day in the life of Uncle Slashie's cat...

I have two - neither seem to show much of an interest in pigs, though. They are putting their little furry hands together for Brother Porky as we speak...

Hersh

Rollingthunder
6th Jul 2001, 19:38
Sorry to hear that. Sad. Thought Nam cats were smarter than that. Give it a couple of weeks or so - time for Porky II.

Bird Strike
6th Jul 2001, 20:12
Really sorry to hear that Slash.

May Porky rest in peace (and hopefully doing what he enjoys...)

Send Clowns
6th Jul 2001, 20:20
Sorry to here that, Slash mate.

------------------
'Me here at last on the ground, you in mid air'

McD
6th Jul 2001, 21:10
Dang, Slash, so sorry to hear about Porky http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

It's tough to lose a friend ...

redsnail
6th Jul 2001, 22:25
Slash, terrible news. Porky will live on in our hearts and minds... You won't forget him.

Still, he got laid more often than you :)

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

Iceolareanic
7th Jul 2001, 00:52
Really sorry to hear about you cat Slasher. I thought I'd use pprune 'search' to read a bit more about Porky, what a cat! what an animal! He sure knew a thing or two about living a wild life!!

pax domina
7th Jul 2001, 01:09
Awwwww, sh!t Slash . . . even if he was a feline avowed communist with a thing for pigs.

My condolences. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

JudyTTexas
7th Jul 2001, 01:47
Very sorry indeed Slash.

Davaar
7th Jul 2001, 01:57
From me too, Slash. I know how it is. My own Kasimir left us a few weeks ago, and I have little pleasure in the sax now without him listening there on top of the bookcase.

Tartan Gannet
7th Jul 2001, 02:14
Deeply sorry Slasher to hear of the death of your moggie. I too have had to bury 3 cats in the past and was gutted each time.

Davaar, we have more in common than I thought, you too are a cat lover. My sincere condolences on your loss as well.

TG http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Celtic Emerald
7th Jul 2001, 02:33
Oh dear http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

When I saw your thread I just said to myself I hope it isn't Porky and as soon as I clicked into your thread my worst fears were proven. From one cat lover to another I know what it's like to lose one (I've lost two already), both felt like I was losing a big portion of my life, I was absolutely inconsolable & heartbroken as I know you must be behind that tough guy image. Remember though it was you who gave him a good life in the end and in return you both gave & received alot of pleasure from each other. I know he's irreplacable but hopefully in time you'll be able to bring yourself to get another cat which will give you as much fun & pleasure even though I know at the moment you probably feel that's impossible. There are plenty in need of a good home, most have their own quirky, lovable little personalities and it may help ease the loss when you feel it's time.

Sorry again Slash http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

Emerald

GoGirl
7th Jul 2001, 02:57
Slash.....'Tipsy' (gg's furry friend) and I are thinking of ya babe http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

GG

Tinstaafl
7th Jul 2001, 02:58
What terrible news!!! http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

sprocket
7th Jul 2001, 04:56
Sorry Slash,
I’ve enjoyed the entertainment that the old moggy brought to JB. Always pictured him as a cat like “Horse” from the old Footrot Flat cartoon series: ie a loner not to be messed with!
I can only guess he died trying to do what he enjoyed doing best, ‘Bringing home the bacon.’

RadioFlyer
7th Jul 2001, 09:12
Sorry to hear it, Slash.

My beloved dog of 13 years passed away a few months ago while I was away from home as well, and I know how gutted it makes you feel. However, I still have my cat, Charlie, and she and I will be wishing Porky has every happiness in that great pigsty in the sky!

Slasher
7th Jul 2001, 10:08
Yeh thanks everyone. Porky WAS so close to "horse" in F.Flats the differences were neglagable (except Porky was mainley black and had a "thing" for pigs). He was strong as a bloodey ox and weighed about as much as one too. He was pretty ugley as well.

He used to p!ss me off a lot when he used to:
* Eat my log book
* Meow all bloodey night wanting to come in. So yeh Id let him only only to find in the morning hed broken into the fridge and eaten the pizzas, frozen chooks and legs of lambs. Then hed sit there with a look that said "Huh? Whats your problem dickface? You DID let me in didnt you!"
* Eat my shoes (and I mean literaly EAT them!) when he realy cracked the sh!ts with me
* Fart. God he bloodey stank!
* Rip the cushions and seats whenever I tried to drag the stubborn bastard off the couch or bed
* Chase and eat the ankles of any stranger I let in the house
* Eat the rear tyres, hood ornaments, and aerials of strange cars parked in my drive. I kid you not: he once got up in the engine bay of a mates car and ATE a rubber radiater hose!
* screw every new litter of pigs next door at Nguyens when they reached pubity. The old man would come over to me and yell "PREEZ! Keep that f**kin devil-cat out of my pig-farm!"

All those things Im going to miss the most. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif

golden_hands
7th Jul 2001, 11:40
Sorry Slasher to hear your troublemaker has gone. Hope you'll get over it soon and find another pig buster somewhere.

Velvet
7th Jul 2001, 18:46
Slash - always loved the story of Porky, one reason I kept it - made me laugh when I was down.

Sorry to hear about his demise, hope like they said he was returning from his nightly excursions satisfied

Feeton Terrafirma
7th Jul 2001, 20:28
Slash, very sorry to read of Porky's demise. It sounds like he had a very full life (full of pigs!) and I know it will take a while for the loss to fade. Condolances mate. :(

CaptainSquelch
7th Jul 2001, 20:54
That's sad Slash. I just informed my daughters guinea pig and she (the guinea pig) started to howl like a sick dog. You sea, we're all feeling for you.

Sq :(

Constable Clipcock
7th Jul 2001, 21:19
Don't really know what to say, Slasher.... I've got two cats myself — an ex-feral that moved in with me about 10 years ago and a 3-year-old Siamese that I've had since he was a kitten. The former feral still actively hunts despite the fact that his eyesight's almost completely gone due to cataracts. I dread the thought of losing either of them.

Loki
7th Jul 2001, 23:34
What a shame, Sounds like he was a bit of a character...but aren`t they all in their unique ways. Lost one of mine a couple of months ago. A real charmer and very civilised would sit up til late with me listening to jazz, he adored anything by Miles Davis.

separator
8th Jul 2001, 16:14
Condolences slash,
May the porkster live on in our hearts, minds and pigsties

Vale Porky
sep

Tartan Gannet
8th Jul 2001, 17:51
Interesting the musical tastes of Cats. Kizzy likes Bach and any synthesiser music also House and Garage, The late Clyde liked lighter music, "Sing Something Simple" being a favourite. Thomas (RIP)liked the Carpenters, Abba, most C&W, Agnes (RIP) reggae of most types. Is it the underlying beat or can cats hear harmonics we cannot discern? I have not yet found a cat who likes Heavy Metal (neither do I).

What have other catlovers found their feline companion likes or detests in music?

Tricky Woo
8th Jul 2001, 19:36
Hi Slash,

Sorry to hear about Porky. I suppose even Mr Nugyen is feeling about sad about it, seeing as his pig yields are bound to plummet. I'm sure his genes will live on in a thousand hairy, Vietnamese pigs, huh? At least roast pork is back on the menu in the Slasher household.

TW

Bob Hawke
9th Jul 2001, 06:36
Slasher,

I am worried about those piglets. Who the hell is going to do the "job," now! I think you should get your priorities right, and get the hell over to that farm, and take up where your good moggie left off.

I recently ran over my last adopted moggie. A stray from the street (how surprising, that's where I get all my strays). She ran to meet me in the car the other day, then dived under the front wheel. Was it the excitment to see me, or feline suiside, I will never know. Maybe she knew I was checking out the other Moggies in the neighbourhood for a replacement program.

What I do know is, that all the other local moggies avoid my house like the plague, as they hiss and spit from my front gate. I understand that I am now known as the cat killer of the street, and as such, I have been missing out on alot of strays.

Or is it because I throw rocks at all the other pussys, 'cause I can't have my old pussy back.

Slasher, don't come back here until you have finished over at the pig farm. Do it for your old cong cat.

[ 09 July 2001: Message edited by: Bob Hawke ]

angels
9th Jul 2001, 13:43
Very sorry to hear your news Slash.
I chose my cat (Tommy) when I was six.
I grew up with him. I left home when I was 18, but he was always there to greet me when I visited mum and dad (they knew I was coming because he would walk up to the top of drive about 20 minutes before I arrived).
He died when I was 21. I hadn't cried since I was 15 or so, but that day the floodgates opened.
Ever since then if I see something sad on telly or in a film, I blub.
He changed my life.
Sincere condolences.

Slasher
9th Jul 2001, 15:24
Thanks everyone.

I just got back home from that huge charter in China. The mate who was lookin after my pad (and feeding Porks) in my absence had Porkys bod in a plastic bag and showed me the nearby fence where he found him. From what I saw he was trying to get INTO a farm through a tunnel he dug under a wire fence. Bloodey silly bugger musnt have dug deep enough and got his anti-flea collar stuck on a barb. Its the monsoon here and we deduce it was raining heaviley at the time and the water-level eventualy (and slowley) got over his head. Not the most pleasant way to go. From the scratch-marks and injurys around his head it looks like he fought like sh!t right up until the end. Porky never did mind water and rain and he was one tough son of a bitch. Ive just buried him out back.

Place just isnt the same without him.

Sh!t. :(

Tartan Gannet
10th Jul 2001, 00:25
Slasher, I know its not a lot of use to you now but one can buy cat collars, even anti flea collars, which have a quick release safety factor so that if the moggie's collar does get caught it will tear off and let the cat free. I advise all cat lovers to fit their feline friend with one of these, I have always done so for my cats.

All the best

TG

Steepclimb
10th Jul 2001, 00:37
Agreed as regards cat collars, I was warned off them by a vet years ago, for the very reasons described. More than one cat found themselves hanging by the neck until dead. Unlike dogs, cats live a lifestyle which puts them in tight situations on a daily basis. No cat of mine will ever wear a collar.
Really bad luck for poor old Porky.

Slasher
10th Jul 2001, 05:14
TG the only flea-collars around here are the Nam type. One size for all comrade dogs and cats. Quite efective keeping away fleas and ticks but no saftey release as you discribe.

BlueDiamond
10th Jul 2001, 06:03
Slash - there is a product on the market which does away with the problem of collars altogether. It's called "Programme" and comes in the form of an injection administered to your cat twice a year.

The way it works is quite clever. The substance it contains prevents flea eggs from hardening properly and thus hatching into new fleas. (Like the famous mozzie, mummy flea wants a blood meal to lay her eggs, along comes puss and BITE, the job's done.

Programme is completely inert as far as puss is concerned - it has no effect on the animal at all. I have been using this for well over eight years now and have never had a flea on my cats since then. It takes a couple of weeks after the first injection to notice the difference - remember, it slowly kills off the local flea population - but after that, no problems at all.

If you like, I will make enquiries about the feasibility of sending this to you form Oz should it be unavailable in Nam, then, when the day comes that Son of Porky wanders into your life, you're ready to go. Cheers.

mad_jock
10th Jul 2001, 11:39
Slash you don't have a picture of porky in his prime to post? I have a mental picture of a nam cat that shags pigs and would like to disprove it to stop the nightmares.

Er no animal farm shots please.

MJ

I'd rather
10th Jul 2001, 14:16
So sorry to hear the news, Slash; I've lost several cats over the years and it's unbelievable how much you miss them. The only consolation is know that you gave Porky a great life - sounds like you two were made for each other :D

It's heartening to see how many of us Ppruners are cat-lovers - some rather unexpected people too!

Velvet
10th Jul 2001, 16:08
But Slasher, just think Porky is a PPRuNe Sex-loving Legend - now wonder who he reminds me of :D

Tricky Woo
10th Jul 2001, 17:09
Come on you lot, there's no point in recommending tear-away flea collars now, is there? It's a bit late for poor Porky.

The next thing'll be someone recommending pussy-cat sized aqualungs.

Slasher,

If you stay in Vietnam, then it's only a matter of time until some evil tom bruiser decides to adopt you. If you do end up going to the UK, then you'll find all the cats there terribly well-behaved, clean, drink tea with a little pinky cat claw in the air, and quietly read the paper after breakfast. Never heard of a Brit cat that shags pigs, either, although you never know. Might be a few in Yorkshire? We live in hope...

TW

What_does_this_button_do?
10th Jul 2001, 17:44
Slash: You lost two pussies in the space of a year. Once to Norway and once to the lord.

Keep your pecker up!

Buttons

Cisco Kid
11th Jul 2001, 02:08
Initially thought it was a drinking buddy who met a bizarre fate ! now I know Porky was a cherished pet; infinately more distressing ,my condolences ....Cisco

Feline
15th Jul 2001, 00:18
Well, I return to Pprune after just not having the time and find (a) Slasher is back all over the place (even having his threads hijacked by that f*ckwit ocb) but (b) has lost Porky ... I'm real sorry about that Slash -- Like it says in the bumper sticker, "The more I meet people, the more I love my cats".

I do have this rare Mogassynian (prize specimen) called Tao that I acquired in a moment of weakness (actually, she acquired me, but that's another story). Unfortunately, she has developed this habit of ambushing my other two cats (who have been with me for respectively 18 years and 16 years). Which really pisses me off (almost as much as it pisses them off). I am tempted to mail said Mogassynian off to Vietnam if you could just send me your box number ... Not sure of her ability with Vietnamese Pigs (don't have too many around here) but am sure she would be willing to learn. She has really f*ck*d up the local rat population.

That all having been said - good to see you back (when you gonna post some more pics of the Real Slasher? I loved and treasured the few that I've got - serve as a real inspiration) -- and I'm real sorry about Porky.