PDA

View Full Version : Dispatch in Australia???????

galeforcewind
21st May 2004, 12:55
Hi Everyone

I am wondering what it is like to get a dispatching job for Qantas or Virgin Blue. I am currently working at a UK airport dispatching and in operations and would like to go and do the same job in Australia, in particular Sydney, Brisbane or Coolangatta.

Do the airlines over there do there own dispatching or do they use handling agents like here in the UK. By the way I am Australian so no worries with visas but have just always worked in the airlines over here.

Any info would be really appreciated.....

Cheers

GFW

c.a.v.
31st May 2004, 13:04
To my knowledge Virgin, QANTAS and Jetstar all dispatch from central locations. Jetstar will soon be moving to Mel and may be looking for staff. Suggest you access their web site for information.

galeforcewind
31st May 2004, 20:55
Thank you, I will look into it. When you say Central Locations, do you mean it's all done in an ops room and not at the airports????? I would like a position that is a load controller/dispatcher and not in an office.......sorry if that whats you mean...

GFW

yekshemesh
27th Jun 2004, 04:54
Hi mate,
When you say a "despatcher/load controller" are you referring to a GC4 position? Because I work on the jetstar Aircraft on the ground here in brisbane, and our load controller and despatchers are the GC4 ground crew, they do baggage aswell as dispatch.. Also, the jetstar Engineers are responsible for final despatch of the aircraft - ie headset on, and waiting for the engines to fully rotate blah blah... As we in brisbane dont have aerobridges, the airplanes just drive straight on out...

Anyhow..I can have contacts for you fi your interested in this stuff :)

I'm assuming that I'm talking about the right thing....Or maybe your thinking about a Turn around Coordinator (TAC) get back to me with specifics and then i'll understand more :)

Yekshemesh

cressidom
28th Jun 2004, 12:03
yekshemesh ,

I'm Malaysian with FAA fligt ops officer licence,exp as loadmaster with MD11/DC10/A310F//A300 etc.DG qualified. Ramp Ops exp.

Would I be able to start a career in BNE or other Aussie ports.

cheers

galeforcewind
28th Jun 2004, 15:07
Hi YSM

Thanks for replying to me. I guess I am talking about your GC4 position then. I am looking at a load control position, ie doing the trim sheets, load sheets etc not headsets on blah blah hehe

Anyway, I would love it if you have any contacts as I am hoping to work at Brisbane anyway. This is definately what I want to do but didn't know how to go about it over there from here????? I am not sure what a turnaround co-ordinator is though it sounds like something I have done in the past....liasing with ground services, gate staff and crew, that sort of thing????

Any info you can give me would be so appreciated, you can pm me if you like....

Look forward to hearing from you

GFW x ;) :E

Neptune
28th Jun 2004, 19:11
Hi galeforcewind,

I recently applied for work with VirginBlue in Brisbane but they never got back to me and JetStar has nothing in Melbourne. I'd love to work in Australia too.

One of my colleagues at Lufthansa Technik said there was a new airline starting in Melbourne and his brother had been doing some planning for them but I cannot remember the name and will need to ask him again. From what I recall, he said it was going to be a big operation but it wasn't going to fly until next year. He said their technical people were were in Germany in May talkiing to lessors.

Maybe someone can throw some light on it.

yekshemesh
28th Jun 2004, 22:58
Jetstar are in Melbourne, they use the Avalon airport which is approx 50 mins drive from melbourne city...The airport is or possibly was a privately owned one by a rich guy - Lindsay Fox, he tried to revive Ansett Australia before it went down, but yeah, thats a little about that story :)

Gailforce - the TAC is the liason guy - Aircraft radios in with ETA, requirements (ie disabled passenger lift, toilets cleaned vacuuming etc) and he liasons with engineering for Fuel uplift amounts and also works with checkin etc, so yeah, hes the in-between haha.. We are having new operations at work soon, as we will be using B717 and now Airbus A320 aircraft...the 717 we hand load from barrows into the aircraft and the A320 will be all loaded by machinery in those small metal cargo holders :)
I will get back to you soon with details and ETA of job openings here in Brisbane :)

Malysion guy (forgot ur nick, sorry) I believe jetstar is starting in Malaysia so service Asian countries , so yeah maybe u dont have to come here...

Cheers guys

Yekshemesh

galeforcewind
29th Jun 2004, 09:04
Hi Yekshemesh

Thanks for the feedback and I await your news on when they are recruiting. Do you think they would consider me being out here in the UK? I mean I am an aussie and I would fly over to Oz for an interview at a moments notice. It's no problem for me to go there, but I don't know if they will have the problem, unless I give an aussie address.

Ideally, I don't really want to move back without a job to go to, but realise the difficulties being over here could be.....

Anyway, cheers for the info mate and I will wait to hear from you...

Neptune....where are you working now for Lufthansa??? That would be great if you can get some more info on that new airline and give us a heads up hey???
:ok:

GFW;)

Neptune
29th Jun 2004, 12:35
Hi Galeforcewind,

I rang my colleague last night and he said his brother had been working with two engineers near Bremen, who had come over from Melbourne from a company called Pacific South West Engineering. He said they were working on preparing three A320-200 at Lufthansa Technik for a companyy called Gold Airways as early as January 2005. However I haven't been able to find a site on the internet for Gold Airways.

:{

VH-Cheer Up
29th Sep 2004, 06:08
This may be the site you are looking for with reference to Gold Airways. Interested to hear any feedback about it....

http://www.pacificsouthwestengineering.com.au/

qfflygal
2nd Oct 2004, 06:35
Hey guys,

Here is the website for the new airline Gold Airways...sorry but I have no other info than this im afraid!

Cheers
QFFLYGAL

www.flygold.com.au

Bundanoon
14th Oct 2004, 00:43
May not be exactly what you are looking for but I did see a
ground handling job ( overseeing all ground handling duties )
advertised in the australian newspaper on Saturday based
at Sydney Airport with Air Pacific.

There website is : http://www.airpacific.com

Cheers, Bundanoon :ok: