PDA

View Full Version : Finally, a comemoration for John Cunningham

Inverted81
20th May 2004, 18:26
I was reading my local paper and noticed a picture of a new cast plaque for John Cunningham, the legendary WW2 night fighter pilot, and most notibly the chief DeHavilland test pilot. He test flew over 30 of the creations derived from the great minds at DeHavillands in Hatfield and was most famously known as "Cats eyes" John Cunningham for being the first pilot to score a kill in a night fighter with RADAR. (you may have noticed i'm particularly biased as i come from Hatfield, and my grandfather flew with him in 604 Sqn)
Finally, something has been done by the folks at the imperial war museum in Duxford to recognise, in my opinion, one of the greatest aviation figures in britains history. :D
Chris

Gauntlet
20th May 2004, 19:15
This is good to hear, I will look forward to seeing this at my next visit to Duxford. Nice to see someone worthy of recognition being recognised for what he had been through and acheived. A most noteable figure indeed.

DeepC
20th May 2004, 19:20
Off topic......

After reading about pre-war air-races from Hatfield last week (Alex Henshaw's mew gull book) I found myself on the old airfield the other day playing hockey at the new sports village. Sad shame the demise of British aviation engineering and airfields.

DeepC

Inverted81
20th May 2004, 20:18
DeepC
All that remains at the airfield now is one radar beacon still in its original position and the main assembly hanger and control tower (soon to be restored into a fitness centre) I'm 22 and can only imagine the sites that were seen in those skies, gypsy and tiger moths, chippies, doves, herons, dragon rapides, fox moths, vampires, venoms, vixens, swallows, comets, comet racers,mosquito's, tridents, HS125's, and finally the 146.... to name but a mere few.... where is british aviation now?? its a shame its left to the history books.....
Chris

noisy
24th May 2004, 08:23
Hi Chris,

The boy from Hendon sympathises, It seems it's just the way it happened.
We don't even make a civil airliner anymore. :{

vintage ATCO
24th May 2004, 08:44
. . . for being the first pilot to score a kill in a night fighter with RADAR.

Surely you mean AI, dear boy ;)

skua
26th May 2004, 21:16
I knew a chap who was a nav in his Beaufighter sqn, who said what a gent he was. 4 years ago he presented the Air Squadron trophy to my son. Again a charming and very unassuming fellow. Future generations need to recognise the calibre of guys like him.

Skua