PDA

View Full Version : Shortest possible time to finish ATPL ground school

Capt. Manuvar
20th May 2004, 16:09
Hi everyone,
What is the shortest possible time that someone can complete (or has completed) the ATPL ground school, assuming full time study? I've heard of people doing it in as little as 3 months. If i study 8hrs a day 7 days a week (yeah right), a 750+hr course should take 14 weeks.
Thanks
Capt. M

FlyingForFun
20th May 2004, 17:12
Capt,

First of all, if you were to do a classroom-based course, it would take you exactly the same amount of time as everyone else. Therefore, this probably wouldn't be the quickest way.

So we're left with distance learning.

A typical distance learning course consists of two modules. At the end of each module, you must attend a two-week brush-up course, and then sit the exams. These two components alone will take you 6 weeks. So you must add the amount of time it takes to study the material to the 6 weeks of compulsary attendance and exams.

Bearing this in mind, I would have thought that 3 months is a little short - but someone will probably prove me wrong by saying they've done it. 4 months might be possible, I don't know. The biggest factor would probably be whether you have the motivation to study for consistantly long hours, and the capacity to be able to take in information so quickly.

I would suggest talking to your chosen school, though, because doing things to such a tight timescale could probably cause extra complexities - for example, brush-up courses and exams my get booked well in advance, and might even require you to book your module 2 brush-up before completing the module 1 exams.

FFF
---------------

The Greaser
20th May 2004, 17:47
I did my distance learning back in 2002 after I had returned from 2 years instructing in the US. I started studying for the first module in mid July, took the 2 week consolidation course at the end of august and subsequently passed the exams at the beginning of september. Started studying for the next module immediately and again took the consolidation course at the end of october and exams November. Total of just under 4 months. Any quicker than this would be difficult to do for the reason fff gave. I did not have a job during this period and studied on average about 8 hours a day 7 days a week.

Hope this helps

Best regards.

Capt. Manuvar
21st May 2004, 14:16
I'm thinking of doing a distance learning course but on a full time basis, as i don't wantr to be 'slowed down' by the glass. I'm not necessarily smarter than average but for some reason i seem to study better over very short periods.
As for the 3 months, i heard it directly from one of the schools, twas some young extremely smart jobless candidate:ok: .
capt. M

mad_jock
21st May 2004, 14:35
Depends on the school and how they audit your training study period.

If you say have a Mech Eng Degree the tech subjects are a farce a part from lowering your knowledge base down to french standards.

So you could get by, by fibbing about the study time until 4 weeks.

2 week brush up which will teach you all you need to pass.

Non tech subjects are a bit of a bitch more about learning ****e than anything else. Again 4 weeks full time plenty of feedback and no worrys.

It dosn't work foreveryone though. The Mech eng reference means you have already learned AC DC electrics for the 4th time in your life etc. And you will be able to try and work out the question from first priciples if you don't have a clue.

You can't go to the brush up cources without reading the books but I can garantee that you won't spend as much time on the second set as you will on the first if you pass the first time.

Min time including exams would be 4 months if I had to do them again.

MJ

redsnail
21st May 2004, 14:49
Checkboard did them in 2 months at Bristol.
However, he is exceptionally bright and his last type was a 737. (converting an Australian ATPL to JAR one)

Fancy Navigator
23rd May 2004, 21:51
Hello,
I am a bit amazed by people going for their ATPL exams who say they study 7 days a week for many hours:uhoh: ....

I am now a few weeks away from my first set of exams. I have finished all the tests and gone through all frames/chapters in about 4 months, studying regularly...

However, I have never spent 7 days a week studying...! I might be totally wrong to do that (not studying 7 days a week), so please do not hesitate to give your advice/comment on this matter....

Also, I found that a lot of things just need to be learnt and memorised, and I am sure I have forgotten some of the stuff already. I am still revising on a regular basis, but I do rely on the Brush up course to take me up to speed..... Any comment?

Regards,

FN :D