PDA

View Full Version : RAF groundschool???

Skyseeker
20th May 2004, 10:39
Hi,

I have recently started my ATPL groundschool and am really struggling with it. Just out of interest, what is the groundschool requirement for Rotary wing / fixed wing RAF. I am not trying to get the easier option, I have started to wonder whether I might get a little bored flying airlines, and was thinking about the RAF for some more challenging exciting flying.

Can anyone fill me in on the academic side of flight training with the RAF compared to ATPLs as I am seriously thinking about stopping civil training and going for the RAF.

Any help, most appreciated.

Skyseeeker

PPRuNeUser0172
20th May 2004, 11:34
I think your motives for joining might be a little transparent matey, if you are finding the atpl stuff little tough then i would imagine you would probably not enjoy military flying training assuming you got accepted. If your sole motivation is the fear of finding airliner flying a little boring then i think that oasc will quite rightly tell you to Foxtrot Oscar.

Skyseeker
20th May 2004, 12:04
Maybe I could put it another way. I want some flying that is exciting and challenging with a good career to go with it - whats wrong with that? Isn't that why most RAF pilots join??

Originally I was set on airlines, but recently after having finished my PPL I have started looking into the RAF as an alternative - I think I might enjoy it more as a career.

Is there something wrong with my motives??!!

Skyseeker

BEagle
20th May 2004, 12:17
Only you can answer that!

Once you have been selected for the RAF, tolerated all the uncertainty and bull$hit involved in the current era, passed elementary flying training, initial officer training, basic flying training (if you're lucky, MELIN rubbish if you're not), advanced flying training, operational conversion, squadron acceptance and combat readiness, you will be a Qualified Service Pilot.

If you did a multi-engined OCU for an 'approved' type, then once you've gained 2000 hours total time, of which 1000 must be as P1C on an approved ME type, 500 as P1 under supervision, then you will be exempt from any requirements to obtain an ATPL/IR except:

Pass ATPL Air Law
Have an IRT observed by a CAA Staff Examiner
Fill out the form and pay the dosh.

If you were a FJ mate, you can only obtain a CPL/IR with ATPL knowledge. But you'll need to do a bridging course, pass 5 exams and get an IR on something like a Seneca.

If you were a helicopter pilot - sorry, not much accreditiation available towards an ATPL(A).

Monty77
28th May 2004, 14:44
Horses for courses, obviously, but you're only young once. Be it rushing about dropping bombs on things, chucking truck-sized objects off the ramp of your big green aeroplane or landing your helicopter on nvg goggles in a field at night, to me there's no comparison. Compare all that behaviour with driving down a motorway at 4.00am in the pouring rain, fretting about slot times, pissed-up passengers in the terminal who can't be arsed to make it to the gate, arsey cabin crew, arsey handlers, arsey management. Okay, you get arsey people in all walks, but if you fancy lots of beacon to beacon with no more than 30 degrees angle of bank for 40 years, crack on civvy. My advice would be to have a go at the military side of it. If it doesn't work out, you had a go. If you don't, every time you see video of a fast jet snotting up a valley, you'll look out of your office window and think to yourself,"I wonder if..".

santiago15
28th May 2004, 19:56
If you don't, every time you see video of a fast jet snotting up a valley, you'll look out of your office window and think to yourself,"I wonder if..".

First of all that is a superb piece of advice.......

Secondly groundschool........ Post IOT all pilots spend six weeks at Cranwell doing Common Core Groundschool (CCG). This is an intensive 9-5 course covering met, principles of flight, airmanship, navigation etc. Then for every aircraft you fly after the Tutor more grounschool will follow. Think Tucano, Hawk and METS groundschools all last a month.

You show me a pilot who likes groundschool and i'll show you a loser. That said, it is a neccessary evil. Stick with it....