PDA

View Full Version : £££££ @ bmibaby?

FougaMagister
20th May 2004, 10:25
Hi - my best friend just got hired by bmibaby for EMA. What is the overall money she can expect to bring home at the end of the month, inlcuding flight pay, commission on in-flight sales and possibly allowance for "cleaning" the aircraft during turnarounds?

Any idea how much "team leaders" are getting (with her previous purser c/c experience, it shouldn't be too long before she gets promoted)?

Thanks
:cool:

EasyBaby
20th May 2004, 20:28
An allowance for cleaning the aircraft, now thats made my day!!!
lol:p

FougaMagister
21st May 2004, 04:33
Sorry mate, but we used to get one at MYT Lite: £5.22 a go, that's £15.66 per day just to do seatpockets on turnaround. And it's not taxed...
;)
Cheers

jettesen
21st May 2004, 06:32
No matter what her experience, she will have to work her way up the ladder just like everyone else. Why should she get an alllowance for cleaning the aircraft??? She won't get very far thinkning like that

FougaMagister
21st May 2004, 07:11
I'm looking for FIGURES here, not for someone else's patronising comments!

Cheers

P.S.: Jettesen: 1/ of course people should work their way up; but they shouldn't always have to start from scratch every time they change airlines (I got hired as direct entry senior last year because of previous experience).

2/ FYI, my friend's got 6 1/2 years experience, and I never said SHE thought like that. I do. If you're willing to do some work for your airline for free, that's OK by me, but you shouldn't have to. Airlines are not charities.

Cheers

Jillytots
21st May 2004, 09:59
ha ha ha ha. pay for cleaning the aircraft..................and "why travel lite" paid you for it................no the wonder they are going bust....................

flybywire
21st May 2004, 11:05
Just some facts.

Sopme companies require you to clean the aircraft in special circumstances and they give you an allowance for it.

At Air2000/FCA when we fly to destinations where cleaners are not available or in places like ACE (where cleaners are always on strike),IF WE decide to clean the aircraft ourselves, we get £5 (of which 1.25 taxable).
Now, after finding a USED CONDOM :yuk: in one of the seatpockets on a flight to HER, I've decided that the money isn't worth it at all. So I do what I MUST do wearing protective gloves and if they ask me if I want to clean the aircraft for a fiver (taxable) I say NO!NO!NO! (and sometimes I'm a bit more rude than that.) :yuk: :yuk:
Eh, what a glamourous job!

Many airlines decide to make turnarounds faster by not having cleaners on board at all and have the crew tidying the aircraft instead, and give them a bonus for that.
Now, not the case with Ryanair since they don't even check seatpockets most of the time (try to put your hand in one of them before checking what's inside...and then tell me what surprise you've found!!)

As for Mytravellite, you're lucky, as we at FCA do seatpockets anyway and don't get a penny! They consider it part of the "security checks" since you have to look into each of them anyway.

I don't know anything about Bmibaby, but I just wanted to give some facts-people who've only worked for schedule airlines (like BA) don't really have a clue of what we have to deal with!
So...yes, she should get cleaning allowances as it happens in many airlines!! And it has nothing to do with working her way up: it's something she is entitled to!!!

Good luck to her!!

FBW:)

pollypocket36
21st May 2004, 16:16
Hey there, to post an answer to your question, I've a few friends at baby and during the summer they take packets home. For example:

Summer £1000-1900+
Winter £ vaires on the amounts of flying.

They will work hard for their well earned money though. I'm sure your friend will enjoy it.

FougaMagister
22nd May 2004, 05:44
FBW, pollypocket36, thanks for your input. :ok:

Mike16
22nd May 2004, 08:07
Hi

Well i wished i got an allowance for cleaning i would be loaded now, when we arrive we have to do all seatpockets, floor, surrounding area, seatbelts crossed and eveb empty the bins in the toilets, and yes we get nothing,i do work for Easyjet but to be honest it is our job to do it, when the last pax gets of we get straight into it, we all muck in as a team, some times flight deck help us out.
Getting paid would be nice, but people like mytravellite are wondering why they have no money ? need i say more

Mike

cabincrew1
22nd May 2004, 09:13
may i just say us at ryanair do check the seat pockets, we also clean the toilets, cross the seatbelts, check that all the l/j are still under the seats but we clean as we go so its a lot easier on are very short turnaround, at the end of the day we all do the same job its very demanding no matter which airline we work for lets all be nice to each other we know that we are all under paid for whatever we do but remember cleaning is a part of are pdc so we all have a safe flight to carry on chatting away to each other on here, safe flying oh and cleaning;)

flybywire
22nd May 2004, 11:09
FougaMagister: It's a pleasure my dear :)

As for cleaning, unless it's written on my contract, why should I do it??

It's amazing how cabin crews are considered to be people in charge of safety, fire fighters, dotors and nurses, entertainers, barmen, chefs, waiters/waitresses, sales assistants and now even cleaners!!!

Not to mention that people expect you to know EXACTLY where you are at any time during the flight... :ugh:

Just a thought.

Skylion
22nd May 2004, 12:35
Flybywire: if you go through life just sticking to whats in your contract, its going to be pretty dull and youre not going to be an attractive proposition as an employee either. Biggest loser is you and your interest in the job.

mytfly
22nd May 2004, 17:23
Jillytots, check your facts first.

flybywire
22nd May 2004, 18:18
skylion,
I respect your opinion (though I find it completely inappropriate).
There're certain things that I would do for my company, especially if I were treated in a good way.
Cleaning passengers' dirt, unfortunately, is not one of them.
My company knows that-and,mind you, it's not just me, it's all of us who have been around for a while.

So, airlines are not charities. You want a service, you pay for it.

Cheers

FBW :)

flyer2308
24th May 2004, 10:13
FougaMagister,

i'm currently working for bmibaby at ema, contact me for further information if you like!

Flyer2308

craic1510
26th May 2004, 13:39
Well guys I haven't posted for a while, but i just wanted to put in some imput to the cleaning debate! I work for easyjet and just as with Ryan air, we have quick turnarounds and do our own cleaning. Supplied with gloves we clean the seatpockets, seats, under the seats, overhead lockers, toilets and bins and don't get paid for it. I don't expect to be.

As a low cost company, I don't mind doing the cleaning away from base (at gatwick we do get cleaners onboard). The passengers already don't have the privilage of blankets and pillows or even entertainment (fair enough as they don't pay for it) - however I believe the least we can do is keep the plane in a clean and tidy condition. Is that too much for the passengers to ask? Or even for the crew? - as to be quite honest I'd rather work on a clean aircraft.

Fair enough there are some instances where the cleaning may need to be done by the professionals (i.e. puke all over the floor - eeew!) , however if we want to achieve a quick tunraround as well as presenting our aircraft in a high standard - then as crew, a few minutes of pulling our fingers out doesn't hurt. We work very hard day in day out at easy and a few extra minutes doesnt make any difference - if it keeps the pax in a good mood :) Once again - that is just my opinion.

For all the crew at EZY - keep up the good work!! You are a great bunch to work with

craic1510

AIRBOY
26th May 2004, 13:46
well said craic...:ok: